I'll Probably Get A Lot Of Flack For This...

goldenwombat

Am I the only one who actually takes their lexus off-road? Granted it's an expensive car, but as a 99 with 121k miles with 80k of that on a new engine (thanks to my brother trying to drive it through a flood when it was his car) i'm a little more reckless with it than most i guess. In the modest research I've done I haven't come across anyone else who's doing this, so i thought I'd put up some info for others. Here's what mod's I'm using:

- 2 inch suspension spacers, eventually i'll get a full lift fabricated

- 245/75/16 Dunlop Mud Terrain tires on Cragar wheels

- drilled out a few holes in the bottom of that beast of an airbox to drain water faster

- thule roof rack with pro-line roof basket

- KC hi-lites on the basket, with cheapo lights on the thule bars front and back for additional lighting

- cb radio and antenna, radioshack supplied, antenna mounted on the basket

- hidden hitch, class three, in the back for towing and for tow points

- optima yellow top battery

- audio system stuff, not really important to the off-roading topic

thats about it, the rest is pretty much stock. What i found in my research is that the 99's and 00 models have a better AWD system for off-roading, basically they use the same system as most subaru's. after that, the center differential was switched in order to improve fuel economy and accomodate the driving habits of most people so that you get mainly front wheel drive, with somewhere between 10 and 30 % of the power diverted to the back wheels if necessary. I'm only repeating what i found elsewhere on the web, i haven't taken apart my central diff to see how well it works. Anyways, if people are curious there is at least one person off-roading an RX (yes, i have pictures somewhere). OK....i'm prepared for my flogging now :)

No one will flog you since any owner is free to drive his or her vehicle anywhere they choose as long as it's legal. But as you surely know, the RX series is not designed as an off-road machine. It's just too weak from a horsepower and torque standpoint and the ground clearance is minimal at best.

With the numerous RX transmission problems that many of us have experienced and reported here and elsewhere, understand that you're increasing your chances of transmission failure by taking your vehicle off-road frequently. As long as you're aware of that and prepared to deal with the consequences, have at it and best of luck to you. But if you're committed to off-roading for the long haul, I'd recommend that you acquire a vehicle designed and built to handle it.

nobody's gonna hate here! ride it til the wheels fall off! :)

Am I the only one who actually takes their lexus off-road? Granted it's an expensive car, but as a 99 with 121k miles with 80k of that on a new engine (thanks to my brother trying to drive it through a flood when it was his car) i'm a little more reckless with it than most i guess. In the modest research I've done I haven't come across anyone else who's doing this, so i thought I'd put up some info for others. Here's what mod's I'm using:

- 2 inch suspension spacers, eventually i'll get a full lift fabricated

- 245/75/16 Dunlop Mud Terrain tires on Cragar wheels

- drilled out a few holes in the bottom of that beast of an airbox to drain water faster

- thule roof rack with pro-line roof basket

- KC hi-lites on the basket, with cheapo lights on the thule bars front and back for      additional lighting

- cb radio and antenna, radioshack supplied, antenna mounted on the basket

- hidden hitch, class three, in the back for towing and for tow points

- optima yellow top battery

- audio system stuff, not really important to the off-roading topic

thats about it, the rest is pretty much stock. What i found in my research is that the 99's and 00 models have a better AWD system for off-roading, basically they use the same system as most subaru's. after that, the center differential was switched in order to improve fuel economy and accomodate the driving habits of most people so that you get mainly front wheel drive, with somewhere between 10 and 30 % of the power diverted to the back wheels if necessary. I'm only repeating what i found elsewhere on the web, i haven't taken apart my central diff to see how well it works. Anyways, if people are curious there is at least one person off-roading an RX (yes, i have pictures somewhere). OK....i'm prepared for my flogging now  :)

Add 1.2" wheel spacers, wider wheels/tires all around and always carry 4 tire chains and a good hefty tow chain. Due to poor suspension clearance at the rear wider wheels/tires nor tireschains could be used otherwise.

Prior to 01 the RX could be optioned with an LSD so if you don't have one you might think of an upgrade.

Do you know that an adjustable height air suspension kit is available from Japan?

The VSC/Trac system from an 01 or later would be a definite asset but I have no idea how you would accomplish that level of retrofit.

Your CB antenna will be more effective with a metal groundplane/mount.

Insofar as I am aware ALL RX's have a front torque bias, natively, about 95/5 as measured on a 4 wheel dyno, 75/25 at best with continuing front traction loss.

The only change I know of between 99 and 04 was the replacement of the mechanical LSD with a "virtual" one using Trac's rear differential braking capability. The big change came in 04 when the VC (viscous clutch/coupling) was dropped entirely since it had really been non-functional since Trac capability was expanded in 01.

Also in 04 the F/R final drive ratios were changed from ~2.92/3.12 to ~2.92/3.48.

agreed your car your ideas

enjoy it as you already are

nice to know someone actually takes full advantage of their car no matter the emblem on front

i always thought the camry/avalon/es300/RX/highlander platform was not that rigid for off roading ?

but what do i know i take my civic through snow banks with my winter suspension set up for 2 inch lift and 17 inch snows

Am I the only one who actually takes their lexus off-road?

Nope because it's an effective way to quickly put 500,000 miles worth of wear and tear on the suspension, steering linkage and suspension bushings. If you want to see what even rough paved roads let alone dirt roads do to a car or even a rugged SUV or Jeep, just go to Mexico.