Need Help Buying A Gs

Now i have a 93 LS400 and i'm looking to add to my lexus family with a 99-02 GS. Im not sure is there a big change in the 400 & 430 model? I did not want the 300 because i want the 8 cylinders not the 6 because my LS as so much power and i wanted to stick with that. and what years could i find the navagation and does it come in both the 400 & 430? thank you all very much for your info.

The only real changes motorwise between the 400 and the 430 is that the 430 is an ULEV, an ultra low emissions vehicle. The changes in the motor were to accomplish that and to improve fuel economy, theres no performance or power change. In fact the 430 LOST the E-Shift option the 400 has because of this ULEV rating.

Other than that the changes on the 430 are:

Slightly different headlamps (green tinted plastic thats all)

Slightly different grille with wider slats

New 16 inch wheels and in 2004 new 17 inch wheels

Some new interior trim colors, for instance the bezel around the guages is graphite on the 430 and interior colored on the 400

A new Steering wheel with standard wood/leather applique

Mark Levinson Audio option vs Nakamichi on the 400

Gen 2 nav system which is the DVD system with a larger screen and more updating options at lower cost. The nav on the 400 has a smaller screen and is hard drive based so its updating ability is small.

New taillights

Thats about it. Obviously if you're going to keep the car a long time you want to get the newest one you can afford but there's no REAL reason to get the 430 over the 400.

Thank you very much SW03ES i've found about five GS that i'm looking at. Two are 430 and the other 3 are 400 i want blk/blk and i'm more into the power of the car so since there the same in that area i guess i'll go to the color. All are about the same year and miles and price. What year did the nav start because i was going to get this put in the car but if i could find one with it already i can save me some time and a few dollars. :)

Here's what the Lexus website says:

Changes Made To The 2001 GS 430

Standard Features:

- 4.3-liter V8 engine with VVT-i

- Revised headlamps, grille and rear combination lamps for sportier look

- Meets Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV) certification

- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps

- New wheel design

- Front and rear side-curtain airbags (SRS)[3]

- Additional wood paneling

- Compass

- Water-repellent door glass

- Lower rigid bar Child Restraint Seat (CRS) anchor

- Larger exposed dual exhaust

- Glass markings changed to "Lexus"

- Fuel cap tether

- Two front-assist grips

- Occupant-detecting front passenger airbag cutoff mechanism

- Impact-detecting door-lock release system

Optional Features:

- New exterior colors: Black Cherry Pearl, Mystic Sea Opalescent, Midnight Pine Pearl and Blue Onyx Pearl replace Antique Bronze Mica, Imperial Jade Mica and Spectra Blue Mica

- Mark Levinson® Premium Sound System

- Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio switches

When looking at the GS400s, you might also try and get the 2000 model as Lexus added Brake Assist:

Changes Made To The 2000 GS 400

Standard Features:

- Brake Assist[1]

- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets

Optional Features:

- New exterior colors: Crystal White and Millennium Silver Metallic replace Diamond White Pearl and Alpine Silver Metallic

The 430 has more torque over the 400 and is possibly the reason why e-shift was removed and the gearbox is slightly uprated. The 430 is also the face-lifted model and has many improvements over the older model.

This page lists the changes made to the face-lift models (2001 onwards):

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ex_v2&id=69&c=3

Some of the things as UK specific like service intervals and trim levels so ignore those.

The 400 has an advantage on price due to it being older and if you want to modify the engine there are more parts available for the 400 over the 430.

The 430 has more torque over the 400 and is possibly the reason why e-shift was removed and the gearbox is slightly uprated. The 430 is also the face-lifted model and has many improvements over the older model.

This page lists the changes made to the face-lift models (2001 onwards):

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ex_v2&id=69&c=3

Some of the things as UK specific like service intervals and trim levels so ignore those.

The 400 has an advantage on price due to it being older and if you want to modify the engine there are more parts available for the 400 over the 430.

thank you that's some good stuff to now.i'm thinking i'll go with the 400 but just saying i have a "Lexus GS 430" :wub: sounds so much better over 300/400

• 3 months later...
The 430 has a little more torque but the times are slower than the 400.Id rather have the e shift than better emissions,and besides 430 is a benz model.

I actually chose the e-shift when making my purchase over the 430. It's 5.7 time makes it nicer then a 6 -- The eshift comes in handy when going around those tight turns and maintaining the higher rpms... I love the instant power rather then having the engine lunge when doing some sporty driving :D