Need Help For My Hid

hello everyone, i am new to this forum, i have a 98 GS300, i installed a aftermaket 8000k HID light about 1 years ago, few days ago one of the lights on the passenger side stop working while i was driving, so, i turned the headlight off then turn it back on, it works fine again for few minutes then went off again, i have no clue what is wrong with it, so i installed the new set of HID kit, and it does the same thing, so can anyone help me please

hid's flicker when their is a resistance in volatage

it is either from a bad bulb or the ballast is not getting a good ground usually.

If continued to use it flickering it will destroy the ballst shortly

the case of the ballst should be metal and have a screw on it by getting a peice of wire and grounding it to the scew with a connector and one to the car it should help improve it.

You are having a problem on the passanger side which is the furthest away from the battery so i would look at that first

which kit do you have also if you have pics of it as their are so many ones.

hopefully it is not a giantlight or mucculogh one

SKperformance, i am really appreciate you help. i have a JDM HID kits(i attached it), i don't think there is anything wrong with bulb and ballast becuz that happends to my old HID set too, i thought maybe there is issue with my bulb or my ballast so i replaced them with new HID sets but there is still the same problems, then i thought there might be power shortage becuz that happens after i installed a new DVD navigation and new sub, so i got a brand new optima battery installed,(my batter slot is in my passenger side), but it still the same, i search some website they said its the Daytime Running light that is cuzing the problem, but i check the manual i still can't find which fues will disable it.

post-14811-1103790746_thumb.jpg

Ha!!!! I bought the same JDM 8000 kit as you off EBay! I JUST sent it back because my drivers side ballast started flickering and finally went out after 3 MONTHS!!! I do alot of night driving. My ballast smelled like something electronic had fried inside. They have a 1 year warranty on them. I think they're just cheap ballasts. We'll find out!!!! The difference between 10 amps and 15 makes NO DIFFERENCE, if it needed 15 amps the fuse would blow. <_< Daytime running lights are NOT the problem either. SK his have been working for a year so I don't think the ground is the problem, although it doesn't hurt to check. Mine did the same thing after 3 months. Probably because I drive alot more at night then he does. I think we may have just got some cheap ballasts.

also the HID troubleshooting site also tell me that i should turn off the daytime running light, becuz its not good for the HID, i try to find the fues from my manual, but i can't find any DRL fues, can anyone tell me how to disable 1998 GS300 DRLs

thanks turbogs300. i dunno if that ballast is the problem becuz i have a set a aftermaket HID sets before, it have the same problem that is y i replaced it with the new one i have right now, unless i am really unlucky to blown the old ballast and bought a another bad ballast

Thats BS man, if DRL is bad for the HID's then why don't the factory LEXUS HID kits go out. Or the phillips kits or the catz kits. Yes, they are on more with DRL , however a good ballast shouldn't burn out from it. Also yours lasted a year like that, mine lasted 3 months with NO DRL!!!! You should find the DRL fuse in the engine compartment. :lol:

I'm in the same boat as you man. My previous HID set went out also, it was the drivers side both times. Also after about 4 to 6 months, my previous set had the external starter and thats what went out. So, I then bought the JDM's and it lasted about 3 months. I'm thinking I should have just bought the phillips or catz kit. I have them on my other 2 cars and NEVER have had any problems in 2 years. <_<

thanks for your help, i just switch the ballast to test it, and i found out one of the ballast is broken, so i called the guy, he told me to send it back so he can replace it for me, did u replace with new brand or u still using that JDM right now?

The ballast looks like a phillips style case but the connectors have been cut and the main harness plug is turned 90degrees from phillips ones.

The ground problem is a slow creeping up one were over time it will cause arcing in the case and create resistance causing the cpacitors inside the ballast to not retain full charge and cause flickering ,not right away and not all cars,so it is just preventative maintance for its reliability.

Funny enough my drivers side will flicker occasionally after a hard bump, since then first time about 4 years ago i added a ground and it has never gotten worse.

also the HID troubleshooting site also tell me that i should turn off the daytime running light, becuz its not good for the HID,  i try to find the fues from my manual, but i can't find any DRL fues, can anyone tell me how to disable 1998 GS300 DRLs

98 GS300s do NOT have DRLs. Yours would be the first I've heard of. Do you mean you turn on the car and the high beam bulbs are on (at 50%)?

98 GS300s do NOT have DRLs. Yours would be the first I've heard of. Do you mean you turn on the car and the high beam bulbs are on (at 50%)?

unless it is canadian

:D I did not know that about the canadian version.

So does the original poster have a canadian car? His location said mass which I assumed to be massachusett. :unsure:

thanks for all your help, i gonna send the product back monday to exchange

I just got my new ballast today, It's grounded to the chassis through the metal holder the ballast mounts in, however, i'm going to run a seperate ground off the case screws just for laughs. We'll see how long this one lasts. B)