90k Service Completed...

DKRC-2003

OK, took my 94 ES 300 into Lexus of Austin last week for its 90K service (has 97K on it now, bought it with 95K); got a loaner 2004 RX 330 (nice!) and took the wife and kiddo out xmas shopping in it...

Anyways, total price with TTL and my 10% discount coupon was $262.55. I originally was going to also have them replace the timing belt (along with the water pump) but having a hard time parting with the $1,000 that they want from my wallet to do this (JPI-Jason, still considering your offer...)

Here's what they found from the lengthy list of "inspect"s that the 90K entails (along with the estimate for them to repair):

One front engine mount needs to be replaced and a "dog-bone" is cracked.

$346.54 (parts $150 and $50 respectively, 1.5 hrs labor)

both front lower control arms (L and R) need to be replaced.

parts: 174.11*2 w/ 4 hours of labor + an alignment = $796.28

and of course my timing belt needs to be replaced....along with all of my drive belts (I was told that they were all cracked).

Now, as I have stated in earlier posts...I am a moron when it comes to auto repair. However, I must not be seeing something here. Take a look at this drive belt and tell me where I'm supposed to see the cracks:

Anyways, considering the 2 facts that (1) my car is going on eleven years old and (2) I did not buy this car at the dealership; i must say that Lexus of Austin treated me just like I had bought a brand new LS 430 yesterday. Terry was my service manager and was very pleased with the service and hospitality. Got the car back in the afternoon and it was vacumned and "hand washed" without any swirl marks in the paint (damn SW03ES, that is wrong about your car).

And the neat thing about all of this...dropping off that brand new 04 RX and picking up my 94 ES...my old car pretty much drove just as nice as that RX did...

Glad to hear they were able to wash the car without destroying it lol.

I don't see any cracks in the drive belt either, Lexus replaces things like this as a matter of maintenance though. The engine mount and the dog bone are also probably legit as those are common ES problems. If you're talking with JPI I'm sure he can do it much cheaper than the dealership.

I don't see any cracks in the drive belt either, Lexus replaces things like this as a matter of maintenance though. The engine mount and the dog bone are also probably legit as those are common ES problems. If you're talking with JPI I'm sure he can do it much cheaper than the dealership.

Agreed.......chances are that the work is ligit & I know the Lexus dealers can be pricy.....if you can get the work done for cheaper (perhaps the same price with EVERYTHING included like the timimg belt & water pump) go for it. JPI comes highly recommended from what I have read on these forums. B)

:cheers:

Thanks for you thoughts. The dealership told me that they recommended that I get the engine mount & dog bone fixed first before I worry about the timing belt/water pump job though. They also told me specifically that my drive belt did have cracks "all over" and that I needed to replace that soon--which I cannot find and you can see in the pic yourself...

As far as the front control arms go, they told me that I could wait a while on those; all that they did for me right now was make the car drift more than usual when I was driving at highway speeds...which I have not noticed much since I generally use the car to go to work and back...a 5 minute trip rarely over 40 MPH.

you will not see any cracks on the drive belt from the back. the cracks are on the other side were the ribs are. you have to get in there with a flash light and check the face were it bends back across a pulley. a belt will look new from the back but could be ready to fail. also that cheep belt fails and it will leave you stranded. no water pump and no alternator does not let you get very far.

you will not see any cracks on the drive belt from the back.  the cracks are on the other side were the ribs are.  you have to get in there with a flash light and  check the face were it bends back across a pulley.  a belt will look new from the back but could be ready to fail.  also that cheep belt fails and it will leave you stranded.  no water pump and no alternator does not let you get very far.

Exactly what I was going to say. You won't see the cracks in that picture.

Accessory of serpentine belts go for about $15 to $25 each for the 1MZ-FE. A mechanically inclined person can even put them on themselves. Belts are rubber and exposed to excessive heat and rapid changes in temps. Belts will also give way quicker if they are exposed to engine degreasers and harsh cleaning chemicals.

It is a good idea to replace them every 45k miles or every three years as a matter of habit. For the minimal expense, it ain't worth being standed.

steviej

you will not see any cracks on the drive belt from the back. the cracks are on the other side were the ribs are. you have to get in there with a flash light and check the face were it bends back across a pulley. a belt will look new from the back but could be ready to fail. also that cheep belt fails and it will leave you stranded. no water pump and no alternator does not let you get very far.

the serpintine belt runs the water pump on te Gen II? i thought it was the Timing Belt?? :unsure:

the serpintine belt runs the water pump on te Gen II? i thought it was the Timing Belt?? :unsure:

to tell u the truth I really do not know I have not actually checked but on the 100 or so timing belt changes I have done on various cars the serpentine belt normally runs the water pump. I will have to check all data and find out for u

I was too lazy to read the other replies, but if you grab your drivebelt and kind of twist it so you can see the underside... if there are cracks along there, then it's a good idea to get it replaced. Mine has cracks all along the underside, but I have a buddy who owns his own shop that's gonna do it along with my CV joints. I just need to find the time to take it in :(

All lexus water pump driven by timingbelt. Drivebelts do crack and it's suggested that you replace them when doing the t/b and water pump job. $265 for a 90k? Wow that is really cheap! What did they do for the 90k service? If you don't mind the drive to dallas here is my email jpimportz@yahoo.com. We will have a loaner ready for you.

JPI