Having Trouble Starting

LovinItGoodLS400

okay here's my problem.....I'll go to class, right after I park, I was going to start it again when I noticed I parked crooked, but the car wouldnt start! I noticed the lights dont come on either....how could the battery be dead when just a minute ago I was driving around!!!! Anyways, tried to jump start it, didnt work, but then I left it charging for half hour, and miraculously, it started and I went on with my day! That was a month ago! Friday night, I go to the mall and right when I entered the parking, the car just stalled at the stop sign!! I tried to start the car....NOTHING!! It was dead again, no light, no nothing! Again, after charging it with my SUV for about an hour, then it started.....got home. Once at home, I turned it on and off, then again on and off a few times! It started perfectly! 48 hours later (tonight), I decide to take the car to Blockbuster! It started perfectly, and I reach Blockbuster with no problems. I turn off the car and I go inside....I come back, and when I got in, the lights work and everything was fine until I turned the key in the ignition......WOULD NOT START!!! OH and the battery went dead! Lights no longer worked! I dont understand, just a few minutes, it was working, and just as I turn the key, the battery goes dead??? Does this make sense??? The battery always dies whenever I try to start, and its not consistent, its very random!! Can anybody make sense out of what's going on with me car? I finally got it home again just now, but only after charging it with my 470 for over an hour and then I thought it was a lost cause until I said, "I STILL LOVE YOU" and it started :blink: ......lol I dont know, but I think my car is alive and has feelings, but can anybody explain the mechanics behind what's ailing my car????? THANK YOU VERY MUCH WITH ANY HELP!!

I agree. The cheapest way for you to find out is to replace the battery. Batteries are strange things working perfectly until they don't. Usually with older batteries, sediment drops off the plates as they wear and sooner or later the pile of sediment builds up on the bottom until it causes internal shorts.

Make sure you have the security codes you need before disconnecting the battery.

Also, these cars ARE very hard to jump start, that appears to be normal. One when a light was left on it took forever of jumping to get it to start.

Good luck

Mine did the same thing and it was the + connector on the battery. It was loose but didn't appear so. I went to Sears as I have a Die Hard, and the mechanics checked it and it was fine. I went home and the same thing. I twisted the connectors and the + was loose. end of problem. Check the tightness of the connectors and if they are tight go to autozone and they will check the battery for free.

Two possibilities.

First, one of the battery posts/connections is broken down inside the battery. Sometimes happens due to over-tightening. Connection will sometimes "disconnect/connect" due to jostling, "flashover", whatever.

Second, I would remove both connections, clean and burnish the battery posts and the inside of the cable connections, reconnect and tightly firmly.

Repeat the latter each and every spring.

did u fix it yet? if not......

1st......do everything the members above mentioned ie....

clean/replace terminal connectors and or cables....and spray battery cleaner all over it to disolve corrosion, then follow it with a battery cable/terminal protectant spray......

if that doesn't work

replace the battery

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, change the battery. My 94LS has had 5 batteries in 10 years. So it's the cheapest $50 repair you can have. Count yourself lucky. I've been towed 2 times, so make sure you have AAA or "towing" on your insurance.

Also remember that if you lose the radio code when the battery is disconnected, follow the Owners Manual instructions, and if you don't have the code that was inputted, try the last 3 numbers of your VIN. Worked for me.

Good luck.