Rx-330 Trailer Hitch Design Yuck!

camisia

I have an '04 and purchased a Hidden Hitch tube type receiver. The design of the hitch is unsightly around the exhaust pipe by going under it.

Does anyone agree and has anyone seen anything better? Maybe a hitch that goes over the muffler?

Look at this link (if you want) Note the muffler area.

http://www.draw-tite.net/pdf/N75153.pdf

Thanks...

We are upgrading our RX300 to an RX330 and the dealer says none of the cars have the tow receivers on them. Fine. He says "oh, just go to so-and-so's shop and we'll put a hitch on for you" (at the dealer's cost). Well, this sort of makes me feel uncomfortable. Is the Lexus accessory hitch that much more money than this other shop's hitch? I think he said something like $400 + labor for the lexus hitch versus maybe $250 for the aftermarket? It seems weird that he'd want to save $100 (eg customer satisfaction issues)

Sorry, didn't want to hijack your thread, but this seems related. And in a related question.. is there any hitch that is more OEM-like to the Lexus hitch?

I would suggest going with the Lexus OEM hitch. I have not seen another hitch that looks correct on an RX. The reason for the bracket that drops below the muffler is that when they redesigned the RX and came out with the RX330 with the 3.3L motor, from what I was told the muffler size changed and the old style hitches would no longer fit. The Lexus hitch is proportional on both sides - at first it looks a little strange, but I really like it now.

I installed the factory Lexus 3500# hitch and yes it is far superior in both looks and attachment to the frame of the car than either of the aftermarket hitches. It also comes with the required cable (mounted to the hitch) that connects to the module in the trunk area. Search the ClubLexus RX-330 forum for the RX-330 hitch thread where I posted detailed pictures of and the part number for this hitch on my car.

Oliver

I installed the factory Lexus 3500# hitch and yes it is far superior in both looks and attachment to the frame of the car than either of the aftermarket hitches.  It also comes with the required cable (mounted to the hitch) that connects to the module in the trunk area.  Search the ClubLexus RX-330 forum for the RX-330 hitch thread where I posted detailed pictures of and the part number for this hitch on my car.

Oliver

I found the thread. That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone installed the Lexus hitch on a model with the air suspension?

Step E has a note that says (in all caps): FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT AIR SUSPENSION OPTION ONLY. (My installation printout is Issue F 02/07/05)

However, there's no alternative instructions for vehicles WITH air suspension like my 2004 330 with the Sport Package. Is it dangerous to continue installing the hitch as if my 330 does not have air suspension?

Similar instructions to this one: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/PDF/RX330_TOW.PDF

Thanks.

RC

• 1 month later...
Has anyone installed the Lexus hitch on a model with the air suspension?

Step E has a note that says (in all caps): FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT AIR SUSPENSION OPTION ONLY. (My installation printout is Issue F 02/07/05)

However, there's no alternative instructions for vehicles WITH air suspension like my 2004 330 with the Sport Package. Is it dangerous to continue installing the hitch as if my 330 does not have air suspension?

Similar instructions to this one: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/PDF/RX330_TOW.PDF

Thanks.

RC

THis is an old post, but after installing my hitch (i don't have air suspension), if you have air suspension you skip the step involving installing the passenger side plate/bracket. My guess is that there is already a bracket there. The way I read the instructions, if you had Air Suspension you would skip this step. The diagrams are very clear where the hitch mounts. You should be able to look under your car and see if there is a bracket there that will work.