Question On Aftermarket Speakers

MikeFG830

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. before I start I just want to say that is is one of the most informative and relatively flame free forums I have ever seen.

I have a 91 LS400, and I am looking to install a new set of 5-1/4" component speakers. I am using the stock head unit and I was wondering if I would run into any problems with compatibility and wiring. I looked at Lexls' speaker install DIY and realized that he had an aftermarket head unit and amp, so I don't know if that is all necesary to run a set of good quality components.

There have been previous posts on this topic. Personally I replaced my speakers when they stopped working with 4 inch pioneer speakers they weren't a perfect fit, but i would suggest taking your door panels off and checking the size before buying anything.

If you want to install 5.25" speakers you'll need to modify the speakers boxes or create a baffle for the new speaker size. The stock speakers are indeed 4" in both the front and back doors.

Using aftermarket speakers with the stock HU is no problem at all. It will sound much better....if you get decent speakers that is ;) Good luck!

PS - Welcome to the board B)

There you go...MB Quart is an exellent choice. I have 6.5" Q series all around...which series are you going with?

I'll be going with their Premium series. Q series would be nice, but unfortunately they're out of my price range. I'm glad that the stock head unit can drive the speakers without a problem, it allows me to save up a little longer for a new head unit and amp in the future.. :D

Changing the speakers without adding a new amp or head unit will become alot less colour full sound as well as the volume being descreased significantly.

The stock speakers are quite effiecent and do not work as well with any after market parts well, you may end up with a slightly better distortion less sound but that will go out the window if you turn it over half way whihc is easy to do once new speakers are installed

Ok i might as well post on this topic since I have a similar question. I just bought 4 infinity KAPPA 42.5i 's 2 way speakers which come with their own crossovers. I am replacing the stock pioneers in my 91 ls. I want to keep the stock look of the car so I dont plan on replacing the head unit.

- Im wondering if the stock unit already has crossover's splitting the signal for the 4" midrange speakers and the 1" tweeters, basically rendering the infinity crossover useless. If thats the case would the tweeters in the infinitys not even work since the higher frequencies are being sent to the stock tweeters?

- How would I go about replacing the stock amplifier? and where is it located?

SKperformance you seem to know a lot about this stuff, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

if you add a line level translator like a crystal line unit then you can keep your deck and add an amp in the trunk run new wires to the new speakers

all done

leave the old amp and wiring as they are nto very good for anything but the original very efficent stock stereo sytem

if you add a line level translator like a crystal line unit then you can keep your deck and add an amp in the trunk run new wires to the new speakers

all done

leave the old amp and wiring as they are nto very good for anything but the original very efficent stock stereo sytem

Do you mean "line output converter" because I ran a search for "line level translator" and came up with nothing. Do you recommend any specific product?

a convertor is usually the crap they sell at 99% of basic audio stores

it usually costs about $20 for them and they are only resistors anda capacitor to lower the output rather than electronically clean the signal of noise and up the voltage to 3-4 vdc

i had a pair of crystal lines

they cost me $500 for the pair but the sound was beutiful for a stock head and aftermarket system