Timing Belt The Same For 90-97 Ls400?

JaguarS4R

I have a few Qs regarding timing belts:

1. Is it the same for all LS400's betweens 90-97?

2. Do you have to change the tensioners when you change the belt?

3. Do you have to change the water pump when you change the belt?

Also, anyone know of a good/cheap place where I can get that done in the Chicago/Milwaukee area? I can get my own parts. Thanks guys

1. Timing belts are the same for 90-97 LS'.

2. You don't have to but since you have it out you might as well change it.

3. Same as above.

Tensioners and waterpumps go bad overtime and it's better that you replace those parts while the engine is already stripped down.

Yes, they will go bad. It would be wise to replace the waterpump when you replace the belt...it's just so much easier this way. It would be a lot more trouble if you were to replace just the belt for now and have to go back and tear everything apart again just to replace a failed waterpump...these 2 things should be done together. When I replaced my timing belt I also replaced the tensioner, waterpump, no.1 idler bearing and no.2 idler bearing.

:blink: Hello - Recomend changing the Tensioners and the water pump as long as you are "in there" anyway. Chances are these items will need help in the reasonably near future, for sure before it is time to do the belt again, so you will save money and keep your car running at it's best. Sure it is more cash but cheaper now than later. My experience was very positive when I did the above. Good Luck! Ron

Yes, they will go bad. It would be wise to replace the waterpump when you replace the belt...it's just so much easier this way. It would be a lot more trouble if you were to replace just the belt for now and have to go back and tear everything apart again just to replace a failed waterpump...these 2 things should be done together. When I replaced my timing belt I also replaced the tensioner, waterpump, no.1 idler bearing and no.2 idler bearing.

That's the way to do it!!! :cheers:

I guess if you have the money to spend for now. I guess you might as well do everything now... so your car can feel JUST LIKE NEW :lol: and you won't have anything to worry about for another 100k... unless your pump fails on you... but other than that... you'll be pretty much set.

Plus... changing the plugs... you'll definitely help your fuel economy... you can't lose out if you have the cash for it now and time to do it yourself. Also check out www.lexls.com and find out other things you can do under the hood while your there. He gives some details on how to DIY and how it might help on your car... like if it will help your gas mileage or emissions etc. 92Lex has a lot of good tutorials as well. Check his out in the tutorial section on the main page.

Good luck.

repair manual advices to do the tune up (spark plugs, wires) every 60k and do the timing belt/idlers/waterpump replacement every 90k. but you can usually push timing belt 15-20k more. make sure you dont have any whining noises around 800-1000 rpm as the are the signal that bearings your pulleys are starting to fail. if any of the bearsing in the pulley or wp go bad they will fry your belt and you will have to tow the car which might add up a lot of $ to the repair cost. so my advice, do it!