1992 Es300

Anovice

I am in the process of changing the PCV valve and in trying to take out the old one, broke it at the elbow. Two questions:

1. How do you get the old one out? It turns and turns (or spins and spins) but it is not coming out. Should I get a wrench and try to pull it out?

2. In case I can not get it out, is it OK to drive to the mechanic in the morning without the hose hooked up? I gather, if need be, I could put the hose back on attached to the plastic part remaining, which is in the verticle position. Thanks.

Use a pair of pliers to pull it out...just lightly wiggle it as you're pulling. (It doesn't turn out like a screw, it's more like a plug)

Also, you will need to change the rubber gasket that holds the PCV valve in the valve cover.......it's dried up, and that's why you're having trouble removing the old PCV.

Thanks again. No, I still can't get it out. All I did was break off alittle more of the plastic piece and it is now dark, so I can't see anything. I will try one more time early in the morning. I guess I can put some tape on top of the broken valve for the 4 mile drive to the mechanic, so the oil does not splash around.

I puchased this part from Park Place Lexus (along with others) and now have noticed they did not include a rubber gasket. Hopefully the one in there will be able to be re-used (since I will not be near a Toyota or Lexus dealer) at least until I am able to get by one. That would mean "I" would need to take out the new PVC value to put in the new gasket!!!!!

Thanks again. No, I still can't get it out. All I did was break off alittle more of the plastic piece and it is now dark, so I can't see anything. I will try one more time early in the morning. I guess I can put some tape on top of the broken valve for the 4 mile drive to the mechanic, so the oil does not splash around.

I puchased this part from Park Place Lexus (along with others) and now have noticed they did not include a rubber gasket. Hopefully the one in there will be able to be re-used (since I will not be near a Toyota or Lexus dealer) at least until I am able to get by one. That would mean "I" would need to take out the new PVC value to put in the new gasket!!!!!

mine didnt need a gasket, or atleast, i didnt put one in when i changed it... :blink:

yeah, best to let the mechanic handle it from here, if it comes loose and falls into the valve cover, you would have soem serious issues, as you woudlnt even be able to start the car until you got it out. and that means removing intake manifold and valve cover.

did any of those chunks fall into the inside of the valve cover?

i wonder how hard it would be to relocate the PCV valve to the front valve cover...hmm...i may look into that...

DO NOT put tape over that hole, itscalled positive crankcase ventilation for a reason.. the valve clogs, it will cause an oilleak. if the whole its covered, same thing...

so while it may be ok for the 4 mile drive to the mechanic, i wouldnt reccomend it. the pressures that build up inside of an engine are extrodinary. leav it open and just clean up around it when you get it back.