Help Buying A Lexus

a_d_y_a

hi everyone

i am new to this club as i plan to get one lexus for myself

i have come across a great deal for a 1990 es250 for $1800, is this a good deal?

it has 145k on the clock

anything i should know before making the purchase.

i have very little money as i am a poor grad student

please advice asap

aditya

i have come across a great deal for a 1990 es250 for $1800, is this a good deal?

it has 145k on the clock

anything i should know before making the purchase.

please advice asap

aditya

If the car is in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the seller has a military haircut...........................run away from it, fast!!!!! :whistles: :lol: :D

sorry Josh, couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, ask the seller if you can take it to a mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected. A 14 year old car may require more than $1800 dollars worth of work in the next few months. No one here can really say without actually seeing the car.

Search on "ArmyofOne" and read about his saga.

steviej

A cheaply priced 15 year old luxury car is probably the worst possible choice you could make.

Instead, you should consider a low mileage original owner grandma driven early '90's Corolla or 4 cylinder Camry that has extensive service records and is selling for an above average price because it was well maintained. Buy from a private seller, not a car dealer.

A cheaply priced 15 year old luxury car is probably the worst possible choice you could make.

Instead, you should consider a low  mileage original owner grandma driven early '90's Corolla or 4 cylinder Camry that has extensive service records and is selling for an above average price because it was well maintained.  Buy from a private seller, not a car dealer.

I totally agree.

sj

Thank you everyone for their replies.

The car which I see is very mint, has had only 2 owners before me.

It is well maintaiined, although a mechanic inspection will reveal more.

It is in pretty good shape.

My POV is that why not get more for the same money if I can ?

I saw a 91 Accord as well which was worse off and was selling for $2200

I need a cheap car to go about for 3 years. Can this junker do the job?

Are there any huge expenses I should know of before I buy it?

Also a Lexus should be well built ? shouldnt it? The one I am seeing is made in Japan.

I took a friend who was gonna sell me his 94 Sentra for $1500 , he drove and tested the car and he recommended me to go for the Lexus as it was really good and that he would find another buyer for his car.

Is there some check I can do to see if the car is up to the mark.

The carfax report came back clean with no hassles. They even put Buyback guranatee.

What to do? Your advice has left me in a state of confusion.

Please help

PS did i mention new tyres and brakes all round just 6 months ago?

1. Are there any huge expenses I should know of before I buy it?

2. The one I am seeing is made in Japan.

3. Is there some check I can do to see if the car is up to the mark.

4.  The carfax report came back clean with no hassles. They even put Buyback guranatee.

5.  What to do? Your advice has left me in a state of confusion.

Please help

1. read every thread started by member ArmyofOne and you will get a feel of what you could be in for.

2. They were all made in Japan.

3. Bring it to a mechanic or Lexus dealership and get a complete prepurchase inspection.

4. Carfax doesn't cover maint. or mechanical condition of the car, the buyback is a plus (what is the time limit on the buyback)

5. Toss a coin, you seem to be set on this car.

steviej

The car which I see is very mint, has had only 2 owners before me. It is well maintaiined, although a mechanic inspection will reveal more.

Maintained cosemetically and maintained mechanically are two wildly different things. Face it - the

car has NOT received anywhere near all or most of the required preventive mechanical maintenance listed in the owners manual or else it would be selling for $3000 or more. But if you still think the car is in great shape, the most cost effective way to evaluate the condition of the engine is to have the tailpipe emissions measured at a smog test shop. HC, CO emissions

on a well maintained '90 ES250 should be far below the legal limits; i.e. closer to zero than

the legal limits.

Instead, you should consider a low  mileage original owner grandma driven early '90's Corolla or 4 cylinder Camry that has extensive service records and is selling for an above average price because it was well maintained.  Buy from a private seller, not a car dealer.

I totally agree.

sj

I second that as well. B)

:cheers:

Thank you all for your inputs esp Monarch and stevej.

I am extremely grateful for your inputs. According your advice, I had said no to the lexus.

But the chinese lady who was selling it couldnt find another buyer, we live in a small town. and she has to leave town and move next week. So she has to get rid of car. So she offers it at $1500, less 300 from her original price. She is scared to death that she cannot move in time.

At this price i have decided to atleast take the car to a mechanic and check it out, it looks like a good deal even if some repairs are warranted

my options are

1. Bob rohrman toyota

2. meineke

3. midas

4. local grease monkey

EDIT: autozone as well

they all offer two kinds of used car evaluation a cheap one at around 50 bucks and an expensive one at 100. the things they check vary a little bit for each garage,

I am asking , where should i take the car and which evaluation should i opt for?

Which are the 5 most important things I should get checked before taking a decision.

Please help a poor student.

Thanking you in anticipation

aditya

I read all the topics by ArmyofOne.

I still think the car can be a good deal, esp considering that they (in my town) sell honda civic of 1992 for 3000 at 150k.

ArmyofOne, given you unique situation what advice would you give me?

aditya

whoa whoa, hold up there adya,

just cause you didn't get the ES250 doesn't mean you can't stay.

ownership of a Lexus is not a requirement for membership. Just appreciation of the brand is sufficient. You are welcome to stay and hang out, learn, ask questions, etc.

Some day you will have the Lexus you desire, but lack of one today does not mean you have to leave the forum.

stick around, it's kinda nice here.

steviej