Please Help--new Rx330 Owner

PuliGirl

I just purchased a slightly used (2400 mi) RX330 from a Certified dealer in my area. I had originally looked at RX300s, much more within my limited budget, but wanted the airbag deployment based on distance from wheel feature, as I'm very short and was afraid of full force in a colllision. The area I live in has become very dangerous to drive in (I think even more so than some other metro areas), so, even though I haven't had a real accident in over 17 years, I feel threatened every time I hit San Diego roads and go through a close call at least every few days now. (I'm used to using a manual with good acceleration and handling for protection but I was starting to feel that being a bit elevated might be important.)

The original salesperson I was working with had a good sense of what my needs were but told me a few days ago that he had researched and that feature started with the 2004 model. It was 11/30, they had 2 2004 models available, and prices were likely to be better due to the end of the month, so I went over, having taken migraine meds and feeling really foggy and off-base. (It was at night and I had never even looked at the exterior of the 2004 in the light.) I was shifted to another salesperson, much less concerned with my needs, and proceeded to blow my entire savings (for a home) on this car, which has the ivory/tan interior, when my last car's interior was forever endowed with mud and debris from my very active sheepdog, and I wanted a black interior. The car is also enormous to me relative to my previous car and the 300. They kept telling me what a fabulous deal I was getting on the price and I found out the next day that I paid about $1300 less than a similarly equipped new 2005--which would have at least come with a tonneau, driver's manuals, floor mats, and a second key--all of which have been ordered for me but "as a courtesy" since they "didn't come with the car." (I found that hugely offensive when this car was listed so close to a new car, and possibly higher since I'm not privy to knowing it's features (do I have the special headlights, heated seats, etc., who knows? I can see the Premium Package is there and I factored that into the price. This lack of anticipatory consideration for a new purchaser of a certified car also disturbed me.) I drove home at 9 pm with the car and called at 9 am the next morning and tried to rescind and found I was, well, you know. I was willing to lose some money if they would take it back, but I didn't even see a crack in the door to offer that.

In my foggy little state, I had also opted for an extended warranty, extended LoJack (1300 but I'm a committed believer) and just added the IBEX (spelling?) protective thing due to my dog. A friend just said he thought the ext'd warranty and IBEX were a waste of money, especially since I'm thinking of selling this very soon unless I can get used to the size. It is, of course, extremely comfortable, loaded with useful features, and feels solid as a rock, but it doesn't feel right for me and my mop dog. I plan on driving it a little more before making a final decision, but, every time I look at it--and it's twice what I've ever spent on a car--I think "what have I done?"

My questions for any forum member kind enough to have waded through this are:

Is the extended warranted (through United Auto) really worth the money, especially as I may end up reselling the car, and the same for the IBEX. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated--owners who may have had reservations but kept the car and are now happy/unhappy with their decision, etc. Remember I'm not a guy and was stupid enough not to have one with me because I was planning on just checking out the 2004s, duh...plus I had confidence my original sales guy for looking out for me, enough so that I didn't even bother going to other dealers.

(After a lot of consideration, I realized that the answer isn't trying to get a semi-tank for protection, but to get out of the congested mess that this once lovely city has become.)

Thank you.

wow...sorry to hear about the "bad" salesperson. there has been a thread around here that had some opinons on the extended warranty. i for one am a firm believer in them, but NOT the one purchased from a dealership.

i know for a fact that you can cancel that part of it and get your money back. they may give you some B.S. about having to change your financing, etc. but don't be fooled. these "sales" people are doing exactly that...selling!

as for the other issues good luck.

:cheers:

dont let the buyers remorse ruin your day. The tan cleans just as easy as black. Exteneded warranties are pro rated and transferrable. if you plan on trading in the car, it has little value because most dealer will tell you to just cancel it and get back the money you have remaining. if you sell it privately it s great because the new owner has added coverage he couldnt get unless he bought the car direct from the dealer. you definitely do not have the turning headlightsyou do have hid lights. hopefully your dealer makes up for it in service what they lacked in pricing and in time you learn to enjoy the car. there is always somebody that paid less and so on. half the time there telling half the truth. enjoy the car and the wisdom gained

Thank you for both the consolation and the hopeful info on the tan cleaning well and the recourse on the extended warranty. I called the dealer and spoke to someone in finance (my finance person is a sweetheart and this guy proved equally nice) who does Rottie rescue and he felt the IBEX will go a long ways towards protecting the interior. He said he had a gray interior in a previous Lexus and it held up with three Rotts, so adding your comments I'm feeling a little better.

The extended warranty is supposed to be effective at any of the United Auto participants, so I'm going to do a little further research before trying to bolt on it. I was concerned over a thread on tranny problems in the RX line and it might be well worth it if the coverage is extensive enough. I never bought one on a car before but have found them useful on appliances and almost always opt for them anymore, except on inexpensive items. I had always been told they were a waste of money on cars, which is what my friend, a Beemer owner has said, but he bought from a private owner and has a really trustworthy BMW mechanic who screened his car. My last car, a Jetta, was problem free at 7 years when I traded it in, and my previous Jetta the same at 10 years, but Lexus is a whole different ballpark financially if there's a problem, so it seemed like a good idea.

I'm trying to think of somewhere to just take car and dog for a leisurely ride to start to get acquainted and see if we hit it off better and I can dump this buyer's remorse kick.

Thanks again.

I should have added that the second salesman probably wasn't as aware of what I had wanted, as I took some time with the first, and I thought he had been clued in ''taking over" but I realize now he most likely wasn't, as the original guy was pretty busy. I said I might be open to the lighter interior, but I know my original salesman was trying to place me in a car that was a good value relative to my budget, where the second seemed more interested in selling me on that particular car, which might have been a good value to someone who wanted a car with low mileage who for some odd reason, just couldn't make the extra $1300 for a new vehicle with things like the full warranty and exact features and color. I could easily have waited for one with more mileage, lower cost, and the right interior, which my original guy knew--and I know he wouldn't have tried to move me into the wrong choice. Oh well. I really liked the second guy as a person to talk to, just was too sick to parry his sales techniques--I needed to be a lot more on my game and paid a high price. Lexus would have had a lot more loyal client if they had cared more about matching me with a car I was comfortable with than just moving one off the lot. I tend to be very vocal with recommending persons who do a good job and with my dissatisfactions, so I think it would've generated more business for them in the end if that was a goal, rather than trying to smooth me over post facto.

Someone previously told me that some extended warranty programs not sold by Lexus often first point to after-market non-genunine Lexus parts. Also, the dealership generally takes longer to process claims and complete repairs as a result.

Is this true? If you're planning on keeping your car beyond the 4-year factory warranty period, then I'm a real believer in the extended warranty program. In the past, my cost of repairs far exceeded the cost of the extended warranty.

The most important lesson to learn from your circumstances is simply this: never allow purchasing a vehicle to become an emotional experience - period. Do your homework before you ever set foot on a car lot, know your budget limitations and stick to them regardless of what Mr. Salesperson says, and do not allow yourself to be talked into a different vehicle from what you previously decided would best suit your needs. And in your particular case, ensure that you're not heavily medicated prior to heading out to close the deal. Yours is one of the most miserable situations I've heard described, and I hope you will overcome your experience. Good luck.

wow...sorry to hear about the "bad" salesperson.  there has been a thread around here that had some opinons on the extended warranty.  i for one am a firm believer in them, but NOT the one purchased from a dealership.

i know for a fact that you can cancel that part of it and get your money back.  they may give you some B.S. about having to change your financing, etc.  but don't be fooled.  these "sales" people are doing exactly that...selling!

as for the other issues good luck.

:cheers:

PuliGirl- You've purchased one of the safest LUV's around...did you know they have 9 airbags, including one at your knees? They depreciate the least, so $1300 off on last years model is not Great, but good. RE: warrantys purchased from dealers...one thing i've learned is to find out what they cover. If you purchase them from other places, like credit unions etc, they're ALWAYS less....you know why? They do NOT cover the same things as the ones in the dealership. There's no free lunch. You can cancel the one you bought, and have until the warranty is up to purchase another, however, the longer you wait, the more it will cost you. Lexus has the LEAST problems of ANY vehicle out there, so you really wouldn't NEED a warranty unless you're going to keep it after the 4/50 warranty. You'll LOVE your vehicle...enjoy it!

The most important lesson to learn from your circumstances is simply this:  never allow purchasing a vehicle to become an emotional experience  -  period.  Do your homework before you ever set foot on a car lot, know your budget limitations and stick to them regardless of what Mr. Salesperson says, and do not allow yourself to be talked into a different vehicle from what you previously decided would best suit your needs.  And in your particular case, ensure that you're not heavily medicated prior to heading out to close the deal.  Yours is one of the most miserable situations I've heard described, and I hope you will overcome your experience.  Good luck.

Excellent advice. Car salespeople are professionals, and their profession is usually (not always) about making money. They size you up the second you walk in the door and know exactly how to play you to get the most out of the deal. The salesman made a fortune on that deal you can guarantee it. No reason to feel bad about it though, it happens to everyone its just most people don't realize it. If you want to make yourself feel better write a letter to the sales and/or general managers of the dealership and explain to them just what you explained here. Call and ask who they are first because most dealers have seperate sales and general managers for new and pre-owned.

I bought my Lexus over the internet and I will never buy another car the traditional way. I haven't bought a lot of cars (2) but the first one I bought along with my dad in a dealership 7 years ago and I always was around when he and my mother bought cars. He's a salesman too and I remember what a horrible experience buying a car always was, he knew right where to look and he never failed to find some way they were trying to screw him and we always left the dealership in a huff. I think thats why I do what I do now, I saw a need for an outside perspective on how these dealerships handle their customers and recognized that car dealerships could be SO much more profitable if they would just threat their customers like people.

When I bought the Lexus I drove them and the competition extensively and always told the salespeople that I wouldn't be buying and refused to give them contact information. I decided what I want and contacted the two Lexus salespeople I had dealt with and liked and the Internet sales manager at another dealer. I told them what I wanted and what I would pay. Ordered the car, gave a credit card over the phone, the first time I set foot in the dealership was to pick the car up and do all the paperwork. Great experience and I will always buy a car that way. Internet buyers are savvy and knowledgable and its hard to manipulate them over an email. They always want you to call, don't call. Keep it over email.

Wait a minute. If you bought this car from the Certified division, and it's a Certified car, that certification should already include the extended warranty, from what I've read

After I had signed for it I was told my warranty was longer, timewise (6 months) under the new warranty, although shorter by 52.5k in mileage, so they were providing the new warranty rather than the certified one. When they were selling me the car I was told it was put in service in August, when I had almost finished the paperwork I was told it was June. I bought an extended warranty because of this.

My back is killing me after driving this car and I'm going back today or tomorrow to see if I have any recourse. I think I might be better off with the smaller RX300. I'm only 5', and this car just feels too big to me. (I had herniated a disc when I was running and weightlifting. Another live and learn. I try to be respectful now.)

I'm really thinking of selling this car and will be extremely fair in pricing. It's Bamboo Beige, tan/ivory interior with the Premium Package, the wood/leather steering wheel, power gate, alloys, 6 CD, moonroof, etc. if someone's looking for one. Right now the mileage is slightly over 2500 and I've added extended LoJack for $1300 which I'll eat.

The most important lesson to learn from your circumstances is simply this: never allow purchasing a vehicle to become an emotional experience - period. Do your homework before you ever set foot on a car lot, know your budget limitations and stick to them regardless of what Mr. Salesperson says, and do not allow yourself to be talked into a different vehicle from what you previously decided would best suit your needs. And in your particular case, ensure that you're not heavily medicated prior to heading out to close the deal. Yours is one of the most miserable situations I've heard described, and I hope you will overcome your experience. Good luck.

I did have confidence that my original Lexus salesman wouldn't take advantage of my compromised state to move me to an unsuitable model, but he pretty much distanced himself from the transaction. I hope potential purchasers reading these posts will be reminded to not be sucked in by the surface courtesies and the great press about the cars to the point of getting a bad deal relative to their own situation.

The really irritating thing about these headaches is that my judgment is off to the point that I don't realize my judgment is off. I guess that's what Alzheimer's must be like, and it's a real handicap. The medication allows me to function standing up, but it doesn't always snap me back to my usually reliable analytical skills. This time it turned out I also had a fever, so I was really not in good shape. I was at 103 when I got home. I seem to be getting better so I'm going to have to figure out damage control. I don't run with the big dogs so this is a lot of money for me. At least the car has a great reputation and seems to be pretty sought after. It has so many pluses, I'm vacillating on keeping it, although if I can't get more physically comfortable sitting in within the next few days I'll have to get rid of it.

[I]Car salespeople are professionals, and their profession is usually (not always) about making money. They size you up the second you walk in the door and know exactly how to play you to get the most out of the deal. The salesman made a fortune on that deal you can guarantee it. No reason to feel bad about it though, it happens to everyone its just most people don't realize it. If you want to make yourself feel better write a letter to the sales and/or general managers of the dealership and explain to them just what you explained here. Call and ask who they are first because most dealers have seperate sales and general managers for new and pre-owned.

I bought my Lexus over the internet and I will never buy another car the traditional way...

Excellent advice, as well. I had a friend reinforce most of what you said earlier today and will definitely use it next time around--which may be soon if I can't adapt to the seats and the overall size of the car. This has been a costly lesson and one I don't want to repeat. I'm old enough to realize that most people don't operate the way I did when I was selling real estate: do my absolute best to meet their needs and make them happy with their purchase and refer them to someone who can if it's outside my own capabilities. My sales manager initially yelled at me for this attitude but had to shut up after I started selling very successfully from the start. This was 20 years ago and no doubt I'd be eaten alive in today's sales climate. It works, and it's win-win, but I suppose people don't care about repeat business and referrals in greedy little San Diego and probably elsewhere with our transient populations now.

I had thought my original Lexus salesman was closer to my values, but my friend said he was probably a come-on to get me comfortable and the second guy the closer when they saw I was on the cusp. I hate to think it was that manipulative, but the attitude of the sales manager makes me think he's right. I'm going to follow your advice in the post and other posters' suggestions next time around, unless I see signs of humanity in speaking with the general manager--the results of which I'll post.

Eventually perhaps this type of behavior will be costly enough to the manufacturer that they'll do what Saturn has, or do most sales via internet with showrooms of sample cars for demos and used vehicles, to eliminate the middleman cost.

Real estate is really different though, in Real Estate you sell yourself more than you sell the product and *usually* real estate salespeople are more ethical than car salespeople. You also make way more money per transaction and there are added risks for the salespeople. In all honesty Real Estate sales can't be compared to most other sales type positions.

I do think the dealer screwed you on the warranty though. Basically they sold you a non-certified car at a certified price...