New Tsb For Owners Suffering From Sulfer Smell!

SW03ES

Hey guys, I just made the appointment for maintenance on my ES and I was poking around Alldata because I wanted the moonroof TSB Steviej had done to be performed. I found something interesting. Lexus dealers have always written the sulfer odor off as being the way the gas is nowadays, but I've always said that was rediculous it had to be something with the catalytic converter or all cars would reek of sulfer like these cars do. Well, apparently I was right. Lexus has released a TSB for the ES (and I assume there is a similar TSB for all Lexuses) to replace the catalytic converter with an updated one. The TSB is EG 005-04 and it is covered under the emissions warranty. Its being installed on the 15th.

SW-

Do you think it's worth the bother to have them change the catalytic converter, since the sulfur smell on my '03 is no worse then any of the previous cars I've owned with catalytic converters??

Thanks SW03ES, I've been thinking and researching about the frequent sulphur odor I was getting in my 2002 es. I thought it was due the frequent short trips I was making. Even got a couple of cans of fuel injector cleaner to try n fix it. But I guess it is a real problem. The catalytic converter and protector has a 8 year/80k warranty under emission performance.

Its free, might as well give it a shot. Plus its a 2 year newer catalytic converter again, for free. Catalytic converters don't last forever.

I think I'll take my chances because:

1- I'll probably trade in this car way before the CC craps out.

2- I prefer that they don't play around with my exhaust 'cause there's always the possibility of an exhaust leak. I've seen it happen before. My '94 ES exhaust system was perfectly fine after 9 years of use.....and that includes driving thru salted New York City roads in the winter!

And finally,

3- If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

All good points...

Mine reeks though depending on the type of gas I use. Pretty much only BP doesn't smell and I have to drive out of my way to get it vs. the Exxon right down the road on the way to everywhere I go (Exxon makes it smell the worst). I'll be thrilled to have it done just so I can use Exxon again.

LF- As far as I know both TSBs only apply to the 2002, 2003, and SOME 2004 ES'.

Steve- Probably worth talking to your service rep, I know he levelled with you about the tranny reprogramming, he'll steer you right here also.

As my service rep explained to me the sulfer smell comes from the "improved" catalytic converters as a part of the ULEV certification. The cats are so good they remove a larger portion of the sulfer from the exhaust, but that sulfer doesn't entirely get negated and you get that smell.

I don't think the Canadian ES models will have the sulphur concern as we have different emission regulations than our friends south of the border.......hence also because of the tranny issues your having on 02+ ES. B)

:cheers: