Transmisson Fluid

daffy

Nothing much worse than a stiff engine and a stiff trans on a really cold morring. :lol:

This is very true......that's why an engine block heater is a very wise investment. I'm actually suprised that it wasen't standard equipment at least on Canadian Lexus models. :chairshot: :blink: The dealer want's almost $200 to install one!!!! :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Nothing much worse than a stiff engine and a stiff trans on a really cold morring.  :lol:

This is very true......that's why an engine block heater is a very wise investment.  I'm actually suprised that it wasen't standard equipment at least on Canadian Lexus models.  :chairshot:    :blink:  The dealer want's almost $200 to install one!!!!  :rolleyes:

If I still lived up north, I'd sure have one.

I'm sure the Amsoil products have helped out  lot daffy considering how cold in get's out west.  I wonder if I should consider using the Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 01 ES next time (since it's apparently compatable with the Toyota type IV ATF) I need to do a tranny flush?  :unsure:  Only problem is I like doing a complete 100% fluid change as opposed to just a 'drain & fill'  :huh:  The Amsoil synthetic will probably run me $10+ per litre!!  :blink:  :o  & you need a couple bottles to 'flush out the old stuff' which comes to about 18 or so litres!!  :(  :cries:

Hi Lexusfreak,

Just remember, you can leave it in longer between oil changes, 2-3 times longer. As you said, you like to clean out all the old stuff, I would agree to this as well. After that you never have to clean it out so thorough next time. :rolleyes:

Daffy

I'm sure the Amsoil products have helped out  lot daffy considering how cold in get's out west.  I wonder if I should consider using the Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 01 ES next time (since it's apparently compatable with the Toyota type IV ATF) I need to do a tranny flush?   :unsure:   Only problem is I like doing a complete 100% fluid change as opposed to just a 'drain & fill'  :huh:   The Amsoil synthetic will probably run me $10+ per litre!!   :blink:   :o   & you need a couple bottles to 'flush out the old stuff' which comes to about 18 or so litres!!   :( :cries:

Hi Lexusfreak,

Just remember, you can leave it in longer between oil changes, 2-3 times longer. As you said, you like to clean out all the old stuff, I would agree to this as well. After that you never have to clean it out so thorough next time. :rolleyes:

Daffy

Oh yeah, I do have a block heater and use it.

I'm disappointed that my ES didn't come factory equipped with a block heater :( The Lexus dealer wants $200 for parts & labour to install one but said it's not necessary as our winters are not as severe as northern Ontario or the some places in western Canada. B)

Yeah, but If Mobil, Amsoil or K&N came out with a cool sounding new winter engine heater product like "Engine Life Jacket", alot of people here would likely rush out and buy one even if they lived in just a moderately cold climate.

Yeah, but If Mobil, Amsoil or K&N came out with a cool sounding new winter engine heater product like "Engine Life Jacket", alot of people here would likely rush out and buy one even if they lived in just a moderately cold climate.

"Engine Lift Jacket" ? :blink::ph34r::huh: That might be a good product name for an outboard marine motor for boats lol :lol: I doubt an engine block heater is necessary in the Toronto, Ontario area as it only get's 'extremely' cold for several days at a time & only a few times during the winter anyways......it's underground mostly in my parking spot. :whistles:

• 3 weeks later...
Proprietary yes (one can't give out all their secrets)  :whistles: .......however 'IF' someone uses the Amsoil synthetic atf instead the 'recommended' Toyota type IV fluid & one has a major repair (not necessarily caused by the tranny fluid as it's 'suppose to meet or exceed Toyota Type IV & is approved as such) but would Lexus back say a warranty claim if they find out that something other the fluid recommended (IE:  Toyota Type IV)?  Hence my suggestion for contacting Toyota head office.  ;)

Been using Amsoil for last 49,000 in my 91 LS, engine, tranny and diffy. Now have nearly 120,000 total miles since purchased 15 months ago. No warranty involved in a 14 year old car. Same with my wife's 96 LS, 193,000, with Amsoil in the engine since about 130,000 or so. again, no warranty factors here.

In my thinking, why would Lexus insist on selling you it's own proprietary fluids ? Bottom line - to increase their bottom line.

I guess I'm a sucker for the little guy, trying to compete with the giants. I felt that a bit about Lexus (Toyota), competing with US and German markets once-upon-a-time.

But just because a company is BIG, doesn't assure that they have my own best interests at heart. :lol:

But for a smaller company to become successful, they must have something reliable. Amsoil has been around for at least 25 years.