Headache

NeiLtYmE

can someone please tell me why lexus makes the battery wires so short . I replaced my battery today and ended up having to get a longer terminal bracket and re ordering some wires. What a pain. not only that, toyota has to be cool and makes thier + and _ terminals opposite of most battiers. I even hadda have a plastic piece that raises the battery a bit made by optima.

Just put the optima yellow top in. took a while but got it to work.

For those of you who replaced bateries which had terminals a bit deeper than usual, what did you have to end up doing ?

the optima batteries with the R in the number, ie. 34R, will fit properly.

R is for reversed. The connectors will be opposite what they usually are so that they match up in the cars that have put the cables opposite to what most cars are.

did you follow that jibberish?

steviej

hmm... yeah, mine isnt the reveresed ones. its the normal 34 that i placed backwards...

but i guess the way ive done it will work. It was quite creative for now i think.

Im thinking sooner or later to get those wires chaged, either do it my self or take it to a nice car audio shop. They would be good at that kinda stuff, no?

It is real easy it just looks complex

here is a post i made

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=14495&hl=

On an ES their are 3 main ground points

1 - under the battery tray , .5 feet

1 - to the transmission , 1.5 feet

1+ to the starter, 1 foot

everything else is not high current and is usually fine.

5 feet 0-1 gauge wire max ,$25

6 0-1 gauge gold teminals $15

cool thanks man. Im ganna try this out.

one thing though.. since i didnt get that 34r and got the normal 34 and turned the battery around, will it really matter as long as i managed to reach the terminals? I used a custom quick release long gold plated conector which holds the three wires that lead to the + terminal, and the other end which snugs to the positive terminal itself.

ive never touched this stuff before thats why i felt a little scared.

since i didnt get that 34r and got the normal 34 and turned the battery around, will it really matter as long as i managed to reach the terminals?

It doesn't make any difference. It just more of a pain installing it, as you have found out. :)

indeed was,  but i felt kinda smart there coming up with different ways to make it work.

I got the R34, or R800 is the old number, back in the summer and it fit perfectly on my 98 es. If you just flip you need to add the width of the battery to it. I am just lazy so I got the R34

Not a bad price since they are 180 here and shipping for that is not cheap for such a heavy battery

turn the battery back to a normal position and just reverse the wiring most manufactuers use battery terminals closer to the rear of a vehicle in case of impact and ground or short issues