Timing Belt Replacement + Drive Axle Problem?

palacie

Hi all,

My ES300 is a 1993 with about 73,000 miles. Due to advice received on this fine board, I took my car to an independent mechanic to have the timing belt replaced. Okay.... the mechanic called and said that I also needed the water pump changed, thermostat, tensioner pulley and idler.... to the tune of $859.00 + tax. I live in the San Fernando Valley of southern California and prices are high here! What do you all think of that price? Am I being gouged and do these other things usually need replacing along with the timing belt? As I've posted here before, I am a grandma and I think (know!) that, sometimes, mechanics take advantage of elder ladies.

Also, he said that my drive axle was bad and that the bearings were dry. If I had agreed to that too, the total price would have increased to about $1400.+. I told him to hold off on the drive axle as I couldn't afford it now. What can you experts tell me about 'that' job? Is it usual for a vehicle, gently driven, to have the drive axle go bad with 73,000 miles on it? Is it safe to drive for awhile? :unsure:

What are your suggestions for me? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Shirley

From what I know, timing belt, water pump, etc all done at once shouldn't be more than $500. Yes it's normal to get all those replaced at the same time, because it's easier to get to all that all at once instead of replacing them as they go. As for the axel, I have no idea.

From what I know, timing belt, water pump, etc all done at once shouldn't be more than $500. Yes it's normal to get all those replaced at the same time, because it's easier to get to all that all at once instead of replacing them as they go. As for the axel, I have no idea.

I thought that the ES 300 did not require the timing belt to be changed to 90,000.

if i were you i would wait till any one of the timing belt or water pump went and then have it all doen at once, or wait till 90,000 what ever comes first.

as for the drive axle being bad because the bearings were dry could easly happen.

if the CV boot rips all the grease flys out as the axel spins. also dirts get in and then they are destroyed. so if the boot riped then the axles are bad and this could happen at any milage. to any front wheel drive car

I thought that the ES 300 did not require the timing belt to be changed to 90,000.

correct, the timing belt on an ES is usually done around 90k on a normally driven car (average 15k miles/year). HOWEVER, palacie's ES is 11 years old, that means the timing belt is 11 years old if it has never been done before. It is well overdue for a change.

palacie, you are smart to get it done now while the car is drivable. You wouldn't want to have it break on a long trip in the middle of nowhere. It is totally normal to replace the waterpump, accessory belts, tensioners too. It is pricey but worth the effort to get it done all at once. As for the price, this is variable but in the ballpark or what you would get around here (Boston, MA).

My firend just has his 98 Avalon done by an independent (just TB, WP and new accessory belts, no tensioners and it was upwards of $600.

The axle shaft(s) are and easy fix and if the price is jumping to $1400 that means he is charging you $541 for the axle shaft replacement. This is absurd if it is only for 1 shaft. If it is for both, then somewhat reasonable. The shafts themselves aren't more than $75 each and only about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do. I would expect $250 per side for the shaft replacement(s).

steviej

Southern AL guy here where cost of living is low.. they changed my timing belt, water pump, alternator belt, vane pump belt,&anitfreeze at my one and only one Lexus dealership Total cost = approx $800 ($250parts+$525labor). IMO, your estimate for timing belt change is reasonable. This was done in 8/03 on my 95ES300 w/ 131k miles at the time. :blink: :whistles: :) Yes, i could have got it done cheaper but i dont know any independent mechanic to trust them with this job.