92 Ls400 Antenna Reversed

WeSki

My antenna cable broke on my 92 LS400. No big deal right! I pulled the old mast out, removed the antenna motor unit and took it apart to remove the old antenna cable, re-assembled the antenna motor unit; it was easy, piece of cake. Before re-installing the antenna motor unit back in the car I decided to test it. From inside the trunk I plugged in the antenna motor unit, grounded it, and turned the radio on and then off, the motor turned on for both (on/off). So I'm thinking, lets insert the new antenna cable and mast. With the radio on I inserted the cable then had my kid turn off the radio. The antenna motor started but would not draw in the cable, it just grinded. I turned the radio on and the antenna motor started like I expected it would but drew in the cable. Yes something got reversed, when the radio is turned on the antenna goes down, turn the radio off and the antenna goes up. I have looked at schematics and look at this thing every way I can think of but it nothing I do has helped.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My antenna cable broke on my 92 LS400. No big deal right! I pulled the old mast out, removed the antenna motor unit and took it apart to remove the old antenna cable, re-assembled the antenna motor unit; it was easy, piece of cake. Before re-installing the antenna motor unit back in the car I decided to test it. From inside the trunk I plugged in the antenna motor unit, grounded it, and turned the radio on and then off, the motor turned on for both (on/off). So I'm thinking, lets insert the new antenna cable and mast. With the radio on I inserted the cable then had my kid turn off the radio. The antenna motor started but would not draw in the cable, it just grinded. I turned the radio on and the antenna motor started like I expected it would but drew in the cable. Yes something got reversed, when the radio is turned on the antenna goes down, turn the radio off and the antenna goes up. I have looked at schematics and look at this thing every way I can think of but it nothing I do has helped.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reverse polarity with the wires? I dunno, sounds simple but maybe? Switch the wires to the opposite contact.

i would say the problem is you haven't fully reset the unit

the key is supposed to stay in the on position until you are ready to reinsert the new mast

so again ( this time pretend) hold the radio button and turn the key

after a couple of second let go then reinsert the new mast with teeth facing the rear of the car

then turn the key off

hopefully it will return to normal

• 1 month later...

I had the exactt same problem with the antenna on my 93 LS400. Broken toothed nylon cable with most of it coiled up inside the plastic body of the antenna gearbox. Disassembled it, removed the old cable, followed the instructions for installing the new mast which is hold in the AM and CD buttons at the same time and then turn the key to the acc position. Did this and the radio displayed Ant on the radio as it should. This is also the procedure to remove the antenna mast, if you do this the antenna should spit out your antenna mast. When I tried to feed in the new mast, the motor was driving in the wrong direction as you described. After checking out everything and not finding anything wrong according to the service manual, I simply pulled the pins leading to the motor and reversed the two wires and it is working properly. Just seemed the easiest way to fix the problem. Hope this helps, I am late with this reply but I just joined this forum. This is definitely a great forum, lots of good info being passed around in here.

Curt