Alternator Fried?

I believe I have the same problem as the previous topic, 'battery indicator light'. I noticed it yesterday when my stereo quit outputting power followed by the 'trac' and 'abs' lights coming on. I assume the alternator was not functioning at 100%, although the battery light would go away above 2500 rpm.

Since my powersteering pump is leeking all over the Alternator, i've decided to install a new seal kit for the pump at $60 from lexus instead of buying a reman. pump for $150. I found the best prices at autozone.com.

I'm wondering if i can clean the alternator, or if i need to buy a new one at $250??

Since the steering fluid is probally just shorting it out, I figured I might be able to clean it up after install the pump seal kit.

Another mystery is why the ABS light comes on when the battery level is low, does the sc400 have electricly powered brakes?

Thanks for your help guys!

You may be able to save the alternator. But it will have to come off. I would take it a to an electrical motor shop to have inspected and repaired - depending on the extent of damage. In my area there are a few places that will repair electric motors cheaply. I don't know about your area. It is possible it may only need a cleaning but I'm have not had this experience so I don't know. Good luck on the pump rebuild. I may try that myself as my ps pump is leaky as well - let us know how it goes. For the abs light, - it may be a result of the electrical drain - but check your brake fluid level. If the light comes on and off intermittently - the fluid level may be changing with motion enough to trip the light.

Good luck

Thanks for your help.

I'll be putting in the St. pump gasket kit this week and have the alternator checked at a capable shop.

The car sure acts funny when there is little electrical power in the system. It will surge back forth from 1000 to 200 rpm, brakes make a lot of noise, abs and trac lights come on. Can't wait to get it fixed!