Shocks Help!

bose217

There is a guy selling a 93 Lexus Sc 300.Man is this car sexy.I test drove it today and it runs great but i hate the ride.Felt like a skateboard on ruff road.My other car is a caddy.I love the pillowy soft ride and not really into performance.Im an old man.I know this is the Lexus sports car but Is there anyway to get that pillowy soft ride on this car by changing shocks?The 2 names that came up the most were KYB and Tokico but both parties said they were too soft or too stiff.Well which one is it,stiff or soft?If i can find a strut that can do that i will buy the car tommorrow.Any suggestions would help.Im losing sleep over this.

The Lexus SC300 & Cadillac are cars on two separate missions. The suspension, shocks, etc., are tighter on the SC because it's a sports car (OK, for you purists: "sporty"). It's built with going around mountain twisties at an accelerated rate of speed in mind. The Caddy is built to handle potholes with grace and mush down the interstate in comfort. I don't know if the suspension/shocks on my SC400 are much different from the 300 but it sure seems "pillowy" going down the road to me.

I second that! My Sc400 is as smooth as cream-:) How many miles are on the cars? Did he replace the shocks? or they are still original? Maybe they worn and need to be replaced! Get the car inspect by professional and go from there

The active suspension is probably going to be the best ride for the SCs. If your car didnt come with it, its a pain to put it in. Not impossible, but alot of work. Im pretty sure that none of the 300s came with, only the 400s. In the SC300 youd probably be better off going with stock toyota suspension, but out of the two brands mentioned, i would go with KYB for a softer ride

The active suspension is probably going to be the best ride for the SCs.  If your car didnt come with it, its a pain to put it in.  Not impossible, but alot of work.  Im pretty sure that none of the 300s came with, only the 400s.  In the SC300 youd probably be better off going with stock toyota suspension, but out of the two brands mentioned, i would go with KYB for a softer ride

I agree, he should go with the stock type shocks and maybe springs. Perhaps some precious owner has put "performance" springs and shocks on that car.

I dont think KYB are as good as Tokicos but they may be softer. I dont think the SC's are really all that rough. Go test drive a Vette and get back to me. You may want to look more at the tires. Tires can drastically change the ride. Goodyear ComforTreads are about the smoothest you can get. An ultra smooth touring tire can really damper all the road noise and vibrations that you feel running high performance tires. Just remember, cornering and touring tires don't mix.

the guy said he changed the struts at one time.Car has 109k on it.I took a look at the back shocks and they were white.Does that mean they are KYB?I couldnt reallyread anything on em,they were dirty.I didnt know 300s ran different from 400s.

the guy said he changed the struts at one time.Car has 109k on it.I took a look at the back shocks and they were white.Does that mean they are KYB?I couldnt reallyread anything on em,they were dirty.I didnt know 300s ran different from 400s.

the kybs i put on my sc400 were silver & they feel just like the original ones.not too rough & not too soft in my opinion.