Engine Light On?

List,

I have a 1998 ES300, the engine light came on after I started the car yesterday. The light does not seem to go away. I have checked the following:

1. Engine oil level is good

2. Transmission oil level is good

3. Checked brake fluid level tops

4. Checked power sterling fluid level tops

5. Checked brake fluid level tops

6. Opened and released gas cap (sometimes the pressure build up on the gas cap causes the engine light to go on)...but tried this trick a few times, no luck.

I am out of ideas. Can someone please tell me where/what to check next?

thanks !!!

Okay, brought the Es300 to the local autozone, diagnosed with the cod P0420. Was informed that the sensor located before the catalytic converter needs replacement. The sensor located AFTER the catalytic converter also needs replacement. Can someone please confirm this? Is this something that requires immediate attention (fix?). How much does the parts costs? (roughly). (BTW, I performed a search on keyword=engine light, learned a lot of good stuff last night, but I had to trade in 2.5 hours of my sleep time). Thanks again !!!!

Okay, brought the Es300 to the local autozone, diagnosed with the cod P0420. Was informed that the sensor located before the catalytic converter needs replacement. The sensor located AFTER the catalytic converter also needs replacement. Can someone please confirm this? Is this something that requires immediate attention (fix?). How much does the parts costs? (roughly). (BTW, I performed a search on keyword=engine light, learned a lot of good stuff last night, but I had to trade in 2.5 hours of my sleep time). Thanks again !!!!

hey,

i have the same problem, same error code p0420 both bank1, the dealer wants about 450 for parts and labor for this, though the service guy told me that if you can live with the lite on u dont really need to fix it as it only minimally impacts your mpg. these sensors ussually crap out at around 100k - 150k miles. ive had the lite on for almost 2 months and the car runs perfectly fine. i've yet to notice that drop im mpg the tech was talking about. if u got the cash to do it rite now and the lite annoys u do it, otherwise save your $ and do something else with it. as much as i like my lexus dealers passionate pursuit of perfection i really dont feel like puttin his kids through college, im having a hard time doin it myself. good luck and hope this helps.

List,

I have a 1998 ES300, the engine light came on after I started the car yesterday.  The light does not seem to go away.  I have checked the following:

1.  Engine oil level is good

2.  Transmission oil level is good

3.  Checked brake fluid level tops

4.  Checked power sterling fluid level tops

5.  Checked brake fluid level tops

6.  Opened and released gas cap (sometimes the pressure build up on the gas cap causes the engine light to go on)...but tried this trick a few times, no luck.

I am out of ideas.  Can someone please tell me where/what to check next?

thanks !!!

That is one reason why I bought a Snapon MicroScan scanner.

P0420 is the code for Catalyst system efficiency below threshold in Bank 1.

Bank one the is the three cylinders against the firewall.

This code is not saying you your sensors are kaput. It is simply indicating that the catalyst performance is deteriorating.

Problem areas are

-gas leakeage on exhaust system

-Air/Fuel sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) is lazy or faulty

-Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) is lazy or faulty.

-exhaust manifold

each of the sensors can be tested individually to see if they are funcitoning properly. This must be done by a trained mechanic with the proper tools and specs.

OR

you can replace out the sensors, expensive at the lexus dealer, not so expensive if you get them at www.sparkplugs.com and do it yourself. It is an easy job, but you have to have the right tools and know what to do. We can help you.

As for the CEL. Many states are now adopting legislature that mandates a car fail state inspeciton if the CEL is on. Like the add says: you can pay him now or pay him later. Faulty sensors can lead to rich or lean emissions. Rcih emissions can lead to premature decay and failure of the catalytic converter and that is very very expensive to fix.

steviej

each sensor has its own code ,so if you only get one code it means their is only one sensor having a fault.

Which is not the one after the cat.

You may have carbon build up find a local place to get a motorvac done first.

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to auto...what is "motorvac"? Do I need to bring the car to a specialty store (such as the dealer)? Or mobile gas station shop can help me with?

Problem areas are

-gas leakeage on exhaust system

-Air/Fuel sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) is lazy or faulty

-Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) is lazy or faulty.

-exhaust manifold

Steviej...how much does it cost to run the above tests? If the cost to perform the tests come close to the actual cost of getting the sensors replaced, I might go with replacing the sensors. I really dislike seeing the CEL on, it annoys me actually...In case of additional failures, I won't know about it, because the CEL is already ON.

I bet your cat has gone bad on bank one. see if you can get to it and wrap a rag around you hand. bang the thing and see if it rattles around like somthing is lose. if it is the cat is starting to brake apart and that is what is throwing the code. i would check this first becuaes it is so easy to do. and most i the time when i have cars come into the shop with an o2 code it is a cat.

each sensor has its own code ,so if you only get one code it means their is only one sensor having a fault.

Which is not the one after the cat.

You may have carbon build up find a local place to get a motorvac done first.

I second the recommendation for a fuel system 'flush'. Similar Codes on my wife's car and the dealer wanted $1200 to replace 2 air sensors and the air meter. They did what sounds like a motorvac on it (flush the system and clean the throttle body) and the engine seems to run well. The light is out now and when I took it to a different mechanic for a second opinion, he actually hooked up a voltage sensor to the different sensors and they were operating normally.

The other thing I've instructed my wife to do is run 93 Octane in the engine and see if the pinging that originally signalled a problem is evident. If not, we're gonna step down to 89 and if that's ok run on that for awhile.

If you're interested in my thread on the subject (and some real good advice as well as a bit of flaming :o , go to http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=15169