Common Rx300 Problems

santacruz

Hi, this is a great forum. My wife has a 99 RX300 with about 55K miles on it and so far it has been good. However, checking this forum and edmunds.com and my own experience have led me to conclude the following common problems:

1. Suspension noise/thud especially on the passenger front and back- This has happened to me and Lexus fixed it for free

2. The "D" indicator light on the instrucment panel blows out- happened to me as well

3. Leaking rear oil seal- has not happen to me

4. Oil gel and transmission failure- has not happen to me but I change my oil with Mobil 1 every 4K and flush the trans every 30K.

On the whole, it has been a good car but feel this kind of problem should not be happening with cars made by Lexus considering how much we paid.

3.  Leaking rear oil seal- has not happen to me

4.  Oil gel and transmission failure- has not happen to me but I change my oil with Mobil 1 every 4K and flush the trans every 30K.

On the whole, it has been a good car but feel this kind of problem should not be happening with cars made by Lexus considering how much we paid.

With regard to potential problem #3. look at how often dealers, independent service shops and do-it-yourself owners overfill the engine with motor oil. 95% of them disobey the owners manual and add so much oil the oil level is above the FULL mark. So they take risks and one consequence is premature oil leaks. You can fight back by checking your oil level after it has been changed and if overfilled, insist that the shop drains it off and refunds you $$ for the excess oil they put in.

With regard to potential problem #4, you need to understand Toyota / Lexus does not build cars that can "take a licking (in the form for neglected preventive maintenance) and keep on ticking". The legendary reliablity and durability of a Toyota / Lexus can only be realized if owners follow the severe service preventive maintenance schedule. But many owners wrongly assume the severe service schedule is excessive and unnecessary maintenance that just makes dealers rich.

Strange....

I know of at least three LS400s, two 92s and a 95, all with over 100k miles, that have never had anything but DIY maintenance, NON-SEVERE schedule, oil & filters, and are still running like a Lexus.

Most DIY'ers are more skilled, and absolutely more conscientous (their own car ) than the McD university gratuate gofers that Lexus uses for routine maintenance procedures.

Strange....

I know of at least three LS400s, two 92s and a 95, all with over 100k miles, that have never had anything but DIY maintenance, NON-SEVERE schedule, oil & filters, and are still running like a Lexus.

Most DIY'ers are more skilled, and absolutely more conscientous (their own car ) than the McD university gratuate gofers that Lexus uses for routine maintenance procedures.

the only rx300 problem i used to have was a nerve-racking glove box rattle! :chairshot:

Strange....

the only rx300 problem i used to have was a nerve-racking glove box rattle! :chairshot:

WWEST … How did you get rid of th e glove-box raddle?

Overall my 99 RX3000 has bee great. The only DYS nightmare I had, was trying to fix the right rear marker light. Mission accomplished and lots of fun 

Try checking to make sure that the cover on your cabin air filter in properly in place.

Strange....

WWEST … How did you get rid of th e glove-box raddle?

Overall my 99 RX3000 has bee great. The only DYS nightmare I had, was trying to fix the right rear marker light. Mission accomplished and lots of fun 

• 2 weeks later...

we got rid of the glove box rattle on ours by stuffing a 12 disc cd changer in the glove box. it takes up pretty much the whole glove box and you have to slam it to close it...but there is zero rattle. Maybe you can just stuff a towel in there or something? lol

Fixing the glove box rattle:

I got a new door from Lexus - didn't work. I tried rubber bumpers - didn't work. I tried filling the glove box with stuff - didn't work. Finally... bought some adhesive backed foam used to weatherstrip windows at Home Depot. The foam is soft and about 1/2" thick. Placed a strip down each side of the glove box door - not the top or bottom, just the sides. Result .. no rattle. Just make sure the foam is thick enough to fill the side gaps. The foam's got to hold the door from vibrating. I just don't know why Lexus refused to fix this door. The problem is that the door is hollow and resonates at certain engine RPMs and road bumps. They needed to change the natural frequency of this door by filling it with foam, adding some weight or making it more rigid. The never did any of those things. Just told dealers to put new doors in .. same doors as before which never fixes the problem.

You also might want to try buying some little rubber bumpers from Home Depot the ones used on cabinet doors and such and see if you can create a better seal for the door.