Questions With Install

GSsoldier

Hey fellow LS'ers, as stated in this thread

LINK

im getting new subs, besides from tutorials at lexls.com is there anything special i need to know about installing? how long it will take to install my self, or anything else maybe i need to know that the tutoirals missed? thanks guys for all your help

-joe nguyen

Im fron sac too so I could help you with the install if you want.

I suggest that you get some components....type r's are going to hit hard but it wouldn't matter how hard they hit if you don't have components to round it off. Which Alpine amp are you using? Did you buy everything already or are you still trying to decide? If you haven't bought everything yet then tell me how much you're looking to spend, because if you invest your money in the right stuff you'll be able to get a better setup for about the same price. Are you into SPL or SQ?

well though i havent bought anything yet... here are links of the stuff that im going to buy

subs

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_i...y=150&p_main=10

amp

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_i...y=105&p_main=10

deck

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_i...ry=45&p_main=10

and thanks 92lex my cousins and his friends all worked in car audio at some point in time and they offered to help me install, i just havent had time to find out what im going to need for the install

You should look into Memphis amps....for the money it's way better than alpine. Are you looking for sound quality or just hard hitting bass? What do you mean by what do you need for the install? Like wires and stuff?

How much are you planning on spending for those items? I spent about $1k for this setup : Headunit = Alpine CDA-7998, components = MB Quart Q series, subwoofer = JL 12w6v2, amp = Soundstream 800.5...there's plenty of bass AND sound quality.

haha JL i love JL haha....

im actually getting a discount on my stuff cus my cousin lives down in LA and works for alpine... so im paying $300 for a $500 amp...

and yea for the install... i know i need the install for the deck but i dont know what else i need

Off the top of my head....you'll need

HU, install kit, wiring harness, power wire for amp, ground wire for amp, remote turn on wire for amp, RCA cable, sub, speaker wire for sub, sub box....

That's all I can think of now. I assume you'll be just placing the sub box on the trunk floor, right?

If you're spending $300 for an amp to just power your subwoofer then you should seriously consider a JL 500/1. As for the wires, just buy whatever you could find at Walmart. For the RCA's go with Stinger if you could afford it then buy RCA's from Rockford Fosgate. You might also want to add a 1 farad capacitor to your setup.

Are you going to throw them in a ported or sealed box? If you're going with a sealed enclosure then go buy some polyfil for the box.

For your amp power wire use 4gauge (amp kit at Walmart includes the remote turn on).

Subwoofer speaker wire use 12gauge.

By any chance, is your old sub for sale? I have a '90 LS400 in need of an original 2 ohm, 8" subwoofer, or any sub that's compatible with the factory setup. I'm in Sacramento 4-5 days a week;could pick up anywhere within 50 miles of Mather Field.

Not to change your thread, but anyone willing to look at my car/ride along and tell me what it needs to stop the vibration would be appreciated. Possible airplane rides offered.

John

jadecuir@comcast.net

By any chance, is your old sub for sale? I have a '90 LS400 in need of an original 2 ohm, 8" subwoofer, or any sub that's compatible with the factory setup. I'm in Sacramento 4-5 days a week;could pick up anywhere within 50 miles of Mather Field.

Not to change your thread, but anyone willing to look at my car/ride along and tell me what it needs to stop the vibration would be appreciated. Possible airplane rides offered.

John

jadecuir@comcast.net

PM me.

John

jadecuir@comcast.net

PM me.

When I try to "PM", it says I'm not allowed to use this feature

:huh:

John

haha JL i love JL haha....

im actually getting a discount on my stuff cus my cousin lives down in LA and works for alpine... so im paying $300 for a $500 amp...

and yea for the install... i know i need the install for the deck but i dont know what else i need...

walmart?? hmm never thought of that.... also 12 gauge for subs?? reasons?

jadecuir....just email me at t_tu_le@hotmail.com.

Yeah, just buy your amp kit from Walmart....power wire is power wire..it doesn't matter. You need 12 gauge or lower (bigger) because there's going to be a lot of wattage running through those wires...any smaller and it's going to be inefficient. So the smaller the wire the more resistance there will be....more resistance = less amperage to your subs.

You'll need for that setup what lexls said in one of the replies above.

argh double posted i dont know why hahaha

LexLs im going to buy my install kit from the website u recommended, should i buy the install and wiring harness and the female harness?

power wire for amp, ground wire for amp, remote turn on wire for amp,

that stuff comes in an amp kit right?

and im getting a sealed box from audio express near howe and arden, its $80 for 2 10s, and yes i would be placing the sub box to the floor, for the wiring through the car i think im going to use LexLs tutorial to remove the back seats and use the the holes that are there, is that a good way to wire them through?

You just need the deck kit and the TA02 wiring harness, no need for the female wiring harness. Yes, an amp install kit should come with all the proper wiring, except speaker cable for the subs.

In our cars it is good to run the cables through the holes in the back behind the rear seat.

When you put the box in have the subs pointing to the rear of the car, I heard that produces the best sound quality.

With 2 subs you may want to consider sound deadening for the trunk at least to reduce vibrations.... http://www.raamaudio.com

That's a decent price for an enclosure....throw in 1 pound of polyfill for every cubic foot of air space and you'll be all set. You know you could get the exact same wiring harness from SFX audio at Walmart on Truxel Rd for 6 or 7 dollars. Go with the DIN kit from SFX audio though...it's much cleaner.

PS...always run your power cables and RCA's down the opposite sides of the vehicle.

It's going to be in a sealed box so you want polyfill to help prevent standing sound waves...the polyfill will "trick" the sub into thinking that they are actually in a slightly larger box. What it really does is slows down the movement of air in the enclosure. By adding lots of area and random channels for the air to move through...it slows down the flow in many directions, instead of all in the same direction. It should also help improve sound quality slightly. Any cheap polyfill will be fine to use, just make sure you don't use fiberglass insulation (it will burn the voice coils in the subs). Is your box built to the subwoofer specs?

Yeah, run the power wire down the left or right side of the vehicle...then run the RCA's down the opposite side of the amp power wire. You shouldn't worry too much about how to run the wires, your cousins/friend that is helping you do the install probally knows.

ok thanks guys im pretty sure im set....

amp kit from walmart.... install kit from sfxaudio.com... and if they have the wire harness at walmart then that at walmart too.... audio express said that the box they have for 2 10s are the right specs so im getting it there... sub wires... i need to know where to buy that... RCA's can i get those at walmart too? or do i have to go somewhere else... and i'll get poyifil online... hmm this is goign to cost a lot haha dammit its going to cost about a 1k....

ok thanks guys im pretty sure im set....

amp kit from walmart.... install kit from sfxaudio.com... and if they have the wire harness at walmart then that at walmart too.... audio express said that the box they have for 2 10s are the right specs so im getting it there... sub wires... i need to know where to buy that... RCA's can i get those at walmart too? or do i have to go somewhere else... and i'll get poyifil online... hmm this is goign to cost a lot haha dammit its going to cost about a 1k....

Make sure for yourself that the box is made to specs....sometimes they'll sell you whatever. Umm, you could buy RCA's from Walmart but those are cheap....RCA's determine the sound quality so I would definitely stick with quality RCA's. For you sub wires go to Goodguys, they sell it by the foot...you only need a few feet. For your polyfill you could get a 1.5 pound bag at Walmart in the pillow section for 3 bucks.

i will find out if they are right up to specs... where should i got to buy quaility RCAs? good guys? audio express? my friend thinks spending 200 for everything (amp kit, wiring, install kit, etc.) is a rip off, but im calculating the prices and around 200 should be it right?

How many cu ft is your enclosure? Try to find out the volume of the subwoofer frame and magnet. If you use the min required enclosure (.7 cu ft) you won't end up with .7 cu ft of air space after the enclosure is installed. The magnet and frame will take up some of that space...you could make up for it with the polyfill though.

Buy the RCA's on Ebay. Stinger RCA's are good for the money.

$200 dollars is about right. $35 for amp kit, $45 for install kit + harness, $80 for box, $5 for speaker wire, and $20 for RCA's.