Steering Wheel Shaking

Hey guys,

I previously had a shaking problem like a week ago at around 50-60 mph. I purchesed centering rings and THAT SOLVED the problem. i was so relieved. But today, they started shaking not as bad, but noticable, around 50-60mph. IM so sad. I thoguht the problem was solved. I cant think of anything else i can do to fix it. I just got an allignemnt job two days ago, all rotors are straight. wheels are balanced. What else could it be? Can anyone suggest or help me. ITs really annoying.

-Kenji

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I have the same problem. I have a '99 GS300 and it started when I purchased new 17" wheels and tires. I have done the same in terms of balancing and aligning, but when I hit 60 mph. the steering wheel shakes horribly. It happens inbetween 58 - 65 or so mph. After driving for a while, it eventually fades off. I also make sure that I've got the correct tire pressures in each tire.

I've got Sumitomo HTR+ which were cheap and I think that the shaking could be due to cheap tires which could be out of round (i got one tire replaced b/c it was out of round) or possibly due to the power steering. I was told my power steering fluid is needing to be flushed. It's strange that it does this only at 60 mph. A Lexus shouldn't have a steering wheel that shakes like a YUGO.

• 4 weeks later...
I have another car that is doing the same thing. Is this normally a tire issue or a combination of tire and suspension? What causes the shaking at a specific speed? Thanks for the info.

Herk

t=The shaking is caused by a larger center bore on the aftermarket rim, most of the time centering rings will fix it almost completely. B)

I just purchased a 93 gs300 lex with 17 inch rims. Previous owners had to take it in because it was making noise from the rear it was getting louder the faster you would to. Turned out the right rear wheel bearing went on the car. All the tires had spacers on them. I wonder if it is harder on the car using 17 inch rims?

I have had the same problem and tried for a year to get the problem resolved... I have a 99 GS400 and have had two sets of 20" wheels (Both different brands and styles), 3 sets of tires (All different brands and treadpatterns) and have had the dealer who sold me the car take them to get force balanced...nothing worked... I have had them also static balanced about 8 times, replaced the hubcentric rings from the ones that came with the rims (Plastic) to aluminum hubcentric rings... no difference... I also had a local tire shop put a balancing compound in the tires which did not work either... I am at a loss for what it could be... and I get that shaking at exactly the same speed as you are discribing... the only thing I can assume is that you need to ask for "spec" tires from whoever you buy your tires from...they cost more, but they are as close as you are going to get to perfect... I have also tried rotating my tires and it does seem to get better, so the only thing i can assume is that is does have to do with the tires themselves... I wish someone could find a REAL answer to this problem as it doesnt seem to be an easy fix like a set of hubcetric rings or balancing... alls I gotta say is it is DEFINITELY pretty embarrassing to have a Lexus that looks DANG GOOD but rides like a hugo... :angry:

Guys, I've done my research and all I've been told is that the shake at 60-65 mph is the trade-off you have to accept if you change away from OEM wheels and tires. I know we've all heard this, but OEM wheels and tires are designed for a purpose... the best ride possible. So, i've just had to come to terms with the fact that.... If you want to change wheels, lower, or generally change things out on the car, you have to be willing to accept a decrease in something, like ride quality, for the improvement of something, like the car's looks...

Ive been trying to fix this problum for two years, Ive got OEM wheels and had loads of balance jobs done, put new dunlop tyres on that seemed to make the most differance but it is just slightly still there, so I must agree it must have something to do with the tyres, I think the only solution is to go to Lexus and say put your OEM tyres on please and pay the money see if that sorts it out if not keep going back untill they do. :blink::blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

I previously had a shaking problem like a week ago at around 50-60 mph.  I purchesed centering rings and THAT SOLVED the problem. i was so relieved. But today, they started shaking not as bad, but noticable, around 50-60mph. IM so sad.  I thoguht the problem was solved. I cant think of anything else i can do to fix it. I just got an allignemnt job two days ago, all rotors are straight. wheels are balanced.  What else could it be?  Can anyone suggest or help me.  ITs really annoying.

-Kenji

If you have a high performace tire, (speed rated) there is a lot of nylon in the tire.

So when the tire is cold, it will have flat spots. This is normal for a speed rated tire. This will go away after the tire heats up. If it is not going away, you might have a tire out of round. Try having a match balance done, this will tell you if one is out of round or not.

imo i would say that you might want to try getting them balanced somewhere else. i let lexus balance my gs4 wheels and they screwed it all up. i own a repair facilty, so i just went and bought a new wheel balancer (old one broke). new balancer is state of the art and has a special balance mode for custom weight placement. no vibrations at any speed. good luck!!!

I have the exact same problem but have not replaced anything yet. I just got some new yokohamas and the problem seems to be worse now at the same speeds as before. Can warped rotors cause this problem - brakes pulsate when stopping btw? Just wondering if I need rotors, re-balance, alignment, spacers, or all four done?????

Good news for everyone!!! First a little bit of history. (( I bought my lexus GS400 with factory chrome rims that were chipping, so of course I replaced them with some hot new 17 inch rims. To my dismay about 500 miles later ( which was 2 days after I got the car) the steering wheel started shaking. So of course I took it to the nearest shop to have it looked at. They told me that the tires were out of balance and that the "rebalanced" them and I was all set. Well the same thing happened once again, after another trip to the repair shop I was told the same thing again. So with reason on my side I took my GS to my machanic which told me that I had a tire that was out of round. So what do I do..... replace my tires of course..... I get my new tires put on the car and after a little while I notice the same frigging thing is happening again... right around 60 the wheel shakes.)) Well I am sure all of that sounds very familiar to you if you are reading this tread... What i have found is, that if I keep my tire pressure all around right at 40-43 that the shacking is gone.. yeah this does mean that you have to check your tire pressure regularly but it does pay off. I have not seen the shaking in about 2 weeks now the longest I have gone since I bought the car a year ago.

I have the exact same problem but have not replaced anything yet.  I just got some new yokohamas and the problem seems to be worse now at the same speeds as before.  Can warped rotors cause this problem - brakes pulsate when stopping btw?  Just wondering if I need rotors, re-balance, alignment, spacers, or all four done?????

I just posted a thread and actually left this part out :( sorry I replaced my rotors and pads all around because I was haveing Bad shaking while braking also, but after putting on my new Brembo drilled and slotted :D rotors and pads I still had the 60 mph shaking

tire pressure shouldn't make a difference. i would be looking at the quality of the wheel weight. most likely, the shop is not cleaning the rim properly before applying the stick-on weights. if the wheel is not cleaned then after a few days the weight is going to fall off. also, when applying the weights they need to be tapped ever so lightly with a plastic hammer to get the adhesive to bond evenly. drive your cars to pgh and i will hook you up :D

tire pressure shouldn't make a difference.  i would be looking at the quality of the wheel weight.  most likely, the shop is not cleaning the rim properly before applying the stick-on weights.  if the wheel is not cleaned then after a few days the weight is going to fall off.  also,  when applying the weights they need to be tapped ever so lightly with a plastic hammer to get the adhesive to bond evenly.  drive your cars to pgh and i will hook you up :D

I am on my way were is PGH

Hey anthonyiez!

I am located in the pgh area and would LOVE to stop by your shop and get you to possibly fix this prob 4 me! It has been WAY TOO LONG trying 2 get this prob fixed and I just want my baby to get back to a smooth ride.... I dont believe in that hooey bout having 2 trade-off a smooth ride 4 a out-of-balance ride just because of aftermarket rims...I have had MANY OTHER VEHICLES and ALL OF THEM have had aftermarket wheels put on them... and my ride was NEVER sacrificed... to me the rim conspiracy is just a way 4 the dealers 2 get ppl 2 buy their "cheap" overpriced wheels...

One prob though... I have balancing compound in my tires... one of the last ditch efforts I tried in order to get the prob under wraps... is there any way to get that off the tire and get the tires balanced without it? :wacko:

Hey anthonyiez!

I am located in the pgh area and would LOVE to stop by your shop and get you to possibly fix this prob 4 me!  It has been WAY TOO LONG trying 2 get this prob fixed and I just want my baby to get back to a smooth ride.... I dont believe in that hooey bout having 2 trade-off a smooth ride 4 a out-of-balance ride just because of aftermarket rims...I have had MANY OTHER VEHICLES and ALL OF THEM have had aftermarket wheels put on them... and my ride was NEVER sacrificed... to me the rim conspiracy is just a way 4 the dealers 2 get ppl 2 buy their "cheap" overpriced wheels...

One prob though... I have balancing compound in my tires... one of the last ditch efforts I tried in order to get the prob under wraps... is there any way to get that off the tire and get the tires balanced without it?  :wacko:

the tire needs to be removed from the rim and the compound cleaned out. remount the wheel and balance away. what size rims do you have?