Regional Differences

tclass

Does anyone know if there are regional differneces in the way cars are setup? Does a car shipped to a dealer in New Mexico have any different engine tuning than a car ordered or shipped to Illinois? I know there are differnt "option packages" available depending on where you purchase, but what about the drivetrain? If there are differences, are there any modifications my local dealer would need to do to have the car operate better in Illinois, if purchased in New Mexico.

Does anyone know if there are regional differneces in the way cars are setup? Does a car shipped to a dealer in New Mexico have any different engine tuning than a car ordered or shipped to Illinois? I know there are differnt "option packages" available depending on where you purchase, but what about the drivetrain? If there are differences, are there any modifications my local dealer would need to do to have the car operate better in Illinois, if purchased in New Mexico.

In California there are different smog regulations that require cars to have different emissions equipment most of the time. last time I was out there I bought a motorcycle and it came with all this extra emission equipment. when came back to NJ I just ripped it all off to shed an extra 30 pounds

Well, quite a few manufacturers used to have (and some may still have) trim and option packages just for southern California (and for the gulf states) but I don't think Lexus ever did. The first LS I purchased in 1990 was being shipped to Phoenix because of the high demand in desert states for cars with a cloth interior.

Speaking of Phoenix, are there ANY Lexus cars sold in Phoenix without chrome wheels? I don't think I saw a Lexus without chrome wheels when I was there in June. Chrome wheels are relatively rare on Lexus in the Kansas City area. Perhaps you would find more Lexus with chrome wheels in southern climates.

Some options are probably more popular in some areas of the country, e.g. seat heaters and all season tires in colder climates.

I like to also add that the AVS (adaptive variable suspension) option for the '97-current ES is usually available for the ES in the Western portion of the US, and not in the Eastern side. That has a lot to do with the climatic differences between the geographic locations.