Fix Or Sell

ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne, on the one hand you said your car was "nearly new condition" and on the other hand you say the PCV valve had never been changed in 15 years!  So in reality your car was badly neglected by the previous owner. 

You'd be money ahead right now if you had spent an extra $1,000-2,000 buying a lower mileage '90 ES250 from a little old lady type owner who had extensive service records on the car.

i thought it was, CARFAX indicated no issues, and the leak wasnt bad when i bought it, but everything has gotten prgessively worse since ibought this car. i had the car inspected by myself, my dad and a "real" mechanic, he said there were some issues, but nothing otu of the ordinary for a 15 year old car.

and the engien and tranny RUN beatufilly (knock on wood), the motor just leaks like a sieve.

jason, i may be back this weekend to have you remove the tranny pan and fic "that" leak as well as doing the fluid change...you are the only one i trust notto power flush the trans. i have the axle for the car, so i will be out there tuesday. :)

Seems to be oil spots all over the driveway

1102757318.173151158.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x415.jpg

1991 LEXUS ES250, V6, auto, pw, pl, p/seats, cruise, sunroof, am-fm cass, CD player, leather int, ac, ps, pb, alloys, good cond, alarm, 144k mi, first $2400 takes it, current emissions, runs great, 404-457-1919.

AutoTader.com

1991 LEXUS ES250, V6, auto, pw, pl, p/seats, cruise, sunroof, am-fm cass, CD player, leather int, ac, ps, pb, alloys, good cond, alarm, 144k mi, first $2400 takes it, current emissions, runs great, 404-457-1919.

AutoTader.com

well i guess some people are stupid, i wouldnt buy that car either, why does every ES250 i have seen leak like that?

AutoTader.com

well i guess some people are stupid, i wouldnt buy that car either, why does every ES250 i have seen leak like that?

I dunno man. Just thought there might be some comfort in numbers. :)

There's was one of those cars sitting in a yard near me a while back. I drove over and looked at his price on the sign and that scared me off, so never checked it out any further.

AutoTader.com

I dunno man. Just thought there might be some comfort in numbers. :)

There's was one of those cars sitting in a yard near me a while back. I drove over and looked at his price on the sign and that scared me off, so never checked it out any further.

doesnt matter anyway, all $300 i have in the bank goes to jason on tuesday, i MIGHT have enough to fill up the tank on the loaner car... :blink:

I just hope that everything works out for you no matter what you decide to do.  ;)

it will, as soon as i get these CV joints fixed, im going to go to one of these First Time Buyer Places. i may get raped on the interest rate, but maybenot. i am lookig to get a 1999-2002 Wrangler Hard top, 4.0/5spd.

i have a steady job yes, the residence, no...im still living with my folks, dont pay rent.

That may not make a difference. You can demonstrate that it is your residence you just don't have a rent or mortgage payment.

and yes, 18% is a car loan, thats what my parents paid on their first new car (in 1982...Nissan Pulsar).

That was in 1982, interest rates and inflation are so different compared to now you can't even use that as an example. Back in 1982 18% was a really good rate, people were signing mortgages for 20% and not even batting an eye. Nowadays 9% is a high rate. My fiance financed her first car as of April of this year with no job, $26,000 car with her dad as a cosigner (who doesn't have very good credit) and got the loan at 9%. My guess is you can get in a car with a $5000 or so loan at 9%, gotta go talk to a car dealership and see what they can do for you. I bet they'll give you the loan without a cosigner.

It will actually help you in the long run, you're going to HAVE to start establishing a credit history and nows the time to do it. This car loan and a credit card will go a long way towards helping you.

Trust me, I'm 23 and I got my first credit card when I was 19. I had two years of credit history and I could demonstrate two years of back tax returns saying I had made 70k and 90k respectively in those two years. I STILL needed my dad to cosign on my Lexus for me because I didn't have enough credit, even though the payment would only be 7% of my gross income (with a credit history loan companies will finance you 30,40, even 50% of your income) . Start building it now so it'll be there when you want to rent an apartment, buy a new car, buy a house etc.

Yes, usually that depends on the bank though. If you have access to the internet there then you might be able to set up one of those accounts where you can transfer balances online. All depends on bank and you situation.

well, i am having JP Importz look at it this week. it is there right now for CV Joints and a Tranny pan drop/screen clean. i am collaborating with jason, if the Cam and crank seals, TB, WP, and oil pump seal cnabe done for between $1150-$1400, i may just have him do it, that way im not totally eating the entire value of the car. its easier to get rid of a car that doesnt leak than one that does.

its easier to get rid of a car that doesnt leak than one that does.

good point and good luck.

It just dawned on me, why do you want to buy a new car if you are shipping out in FEB. Will someone at home you trust be driving/using your new car or will it sit while you are away.

Here is an idea, work with Jason on getting your ES250 up to a satisfactory condition. Drive it till Feb and sell it just before your leave or have someone sell it

while your are gone. Save most of your pay while you are on duty and then put a sizable downpayment on a nice new car. The sizable downpayment will help you secure a larger loan.

Just a thought.

sj

It just dawned on me, why do you want to buy a new car if you are shipping out in FEB. Will someone at home you trust be driving/using your new car or will it sit while you are away.

Here is an idea, work with Jason on getting your ES250 up to a satisfactory condition. Drive it till Feb and sell it just before your leave or have someone sell it

while your are gone. Save most of your pay while you are on duty and then put a sizable downpayment on a nice new car. The sizable downpayment will help you secure a larger loan.

Just a thought.

sj

That's a good thought. I was thinking the same thing.

Just a thought.

sj

That's a good thought. I was thinking the same thing.

thats the plan, but if this car is going to die on me between now and then, then what? LOL.

yes, my brother or dad would drive my car while i am away, probably my dad, since my borther is just getting his liscesne, and we know how these damedn teenagers are, especially with cars that arent theirs!! LOL.

sorry SK, ill do that.:wacko:

the only thing i really need to hear is a phone call form jason...

"umm josh, i just changed the fluid in your ES, and...well...the trans is slipping"

that woudl be great :wacko::ph34r:

i hope that doesnt happen, that is what is making me the most nervous about this whole endevour, is that the car is 50+ miles away, and a tow woudl cost a fortune...

im hoping all goes well, i trust jason, so i know he will do his best. B)

i found something...

1987 Nissan 300ZX T-Top. All Maintenance records kept. only problem is a fairly persistent power steering leak. refill once a month. 160K, new clutch, rear main seal plugs and wires, $1500. the guy is a dude i know (well enough to know he takes care of his cars, as he is a certified mechanic). other than that, its in damned good shape for its age, some oxidation on front and rear bumpers only.

he says he cant hold it, but it is on the market for $1800, if it sells for that he wont hold it, should i go for it? carfax comes up clean as well.

also keep in mind the nissan will be 3 years older than the lexus you already have...but then again if it runs goods...like I said before its personal preference.

yeah im trying to shy away from old cars...

i will have to drive it before i decide, and of courtse sell mine (i'll take $1500, like anyone at this site wants that car... :blink: , but ya never know.)

UPDATE:

this is crazy, but my ATX Dipstick reads bone dry. JPI Just serviced it yesterday, and Jason noticed today the dipstick had no fluid, so he added about 1 qt. and poof! there it was, at the warm level.

i drove it home, maybe an hour, and i check it when i arrive...no fluid on the stick...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? to make matters worse, there si no ATF on the ground in front of my house (only oil) and the car drives incredible. the shifts arent clunky, there is no slip...where the hell has the fluid gone? is this a toyota thing?