There are those who will scoff at my decision, but consider this.  A computer glitch halted all air traffice gobally today.  I currently own a 2019 Lexus RX 450h that is at end of factory warranty.   This is my 3rd Lexus since 2001.  I am confident in the mechanical parts of my vehicle and have had trouble free service from all three vehicles.   However, my RX450h contains 18 on board computers.  I plan to keep this vehicle for at least another 5 years (I keep cars on average for 10 years).  It may be a foolish waste of money , but even well made computers and programs can fail (We saw that today).  I welcome you thoughts and comments.  The cost of vehicle repair is going to go up, so it seems a reasonable gamble.

16 hours ago, DrRocky said:

There are those who will scoff at my decision, but consider this.  A computer glitch halted all air traffice gobally today.  I currently own a 2019 Lexus RX 450h that is at end of factory warranty.   This is my 3rd Lexus since 2001.  I am confident in the mechanical parts of my vehicle and have had trouble free service from all three vehicles.   However, my RX450h contains 18 on board computers.  I plan to keep this vehicle for at least another 5 years (I keep cars on average for 10 years).  It may be a foolish waste of money , but even well made computers and programs can fail (We saw that today).  I welcome you thoughts and comments.  The cost of vehicle repair is going to go up, so it seems a reasonable gamble.

You may want to view this video by Consumer Reports magazine:

Should You Get an Extended Car Warranty? (consumerreports.org)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I read the consumer report.  They focused on mechanical issues and overall car quality.  I am not worried about those parts of my Lexus.  I would not have continued to purchase Lexus if I did not believe in the quality of the vehicle.  My concern was, and still is, the increased computer and electronic components.  I have had numerous computers and when one of them went bad, I had to replace it at a greater investment that the original.  That, and the recent shut downs of computers (airports, businesses, banks, etc.) has me looking for backup in case.