Transmission

I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 GS 300 and took it to a Lexus dealer for 45,000 oil change. I was shocked to hear their recommendation for a $300+ tranny flush and fluid change. The service guide that I have doesn't suggest that service until 60,000, although I've read posts that recommend the procedure every 24,000. I understand the need for routine maintenance and I plan to keep the car for many years but at the same time I'm naturally skeptical about dealers and unsuspected service recommendations. Let me learn from your experiences to prepare myself for future visits. Much thanks!

Toyota automatic transmissions lasted for 300,000+ miles in the 70's & 80's before power flushes and flushing machines even existed. So they aren't necessary (unless your fluid is black from overheating) and are mostly a gimmick to boost dealer service dept. profits. However, you should start draining and refilling the transmission oil pan every 15-20,000 miles if you want to hit the 300,000 mile mark someday. You can either do it yourself using $8 worth of fluid or have a Toyota dealer do it for about $50.

Toyota automatic transmissions lasted for 300,000+ miles in the 70's & 80's before power flushes and flushing machines even existed.  So they aren't necessary (unless your fluid is black from overheating) and are mostly a gimmick to boost dealer service dept. profits.  However, you should start draining and refilling the transmission oil pan every 15-20,000 miles if you want to hit the 300,000 mile mark someday.  You can either do it yourself using $8 worth of fluid or have a Toyota dealer do it for about $50.

Thanks for the input. I'll pick up some fluid from the Toyota dealer and have it on hand for the job. Cheers :cheers:

Oh god ,another "back in the day it was good enough"

please if you can enlighten people as to why besdies your "I DON'T THINK" attitude . Back it up with facts to make your point otherwise your opinion on how something your obviously don;t know or understand it fruitless !!!!!

If engineers went with that thinking we would all be driving model t's since it was good enough before, who needs anythign more.

Disprove me if you can.

A tranny flush removes all fluid by coupling to the transmission cooler lines.

As the engine is run and the tranny fluid heats it will start to cuirculate better as it does this the primary heat switch open to allow full fluid circualtion which is anotehr reason why a drain will never remove all old fluid.

When the pressure is at its max the machines cuircit opens the loop and redirect all the fluid from its container to the car and all the old fluid is now removed into a disposal bucket.

After a few minutes it will totally dispose of all old fluid and replenish it with your choice.

So why the hell would it be a good idea to keep old fluid?????

Yeah i thought so

Sorry to sound so annoyed but it is annoying to answer something with education as an automotive technition to be told by a shadetree it is anotehr mastermind scheme by the man to get your money.

I have no problem with discussions but put up proof not your mouth.

Oh god ,another "back in the day it was good enough"

please if you can enlighten people as to why besdies your "I DON'T THINK" attitude . Back it up with facts to make your point otherwise your opinion on how something your obviously don;t know or understand it fruitless !!!!!

If engineers went with that thinking we would all be driving model t's since it was good enough before, who needs anythign more.

Disprove me if you can.

A tranny flush removes all fluid by coupling to the transmission cooler lines.

As the engine is run and the tranny fluid heats it will start to cuirculate better as it does this the primary heat switch open to allow full fluid circualtion which is anotehr reason why a drain will never remove all old fluid.

When the pressure is at its max the machines cuircit opens the loop and redirect all the fluid from its container to the car and all the old fluid is now removed into a disposal bucket.

After a few minutes it will totally dispose of all old fluid and replenish it with your choice.

So why the hell would it be a good idea to keep old fluid?????

Yeah i thought so

Sorry to sound so annoyed but it is annoying to answer something with education as an automotive technition to be told by a shadetree it is anotehr mastermind scheme by the man to get your money.

I have no problem with discussions but put up proof not your mouth.

I agree.

To add, there are probably competent tranny shops in your area that might be able to do the flush as well if the dealer won't come down on price.

Oh yeah, the fluid costs about $4-$5 a qt, so, you'll need a bit more than the $8 mentioned above.

I've heard it's 4 qts in the pan, and I believe the entire tranny and convertor total up to around 15 qts.

Walmart does it for $60

but i use their shop and clean everything myself before i start work by flushiung the flush machine with a liter of fluid.

Lots of other places around for about that price never mind that is a Canadian price as well.

Walmart does it for $60

but i use their shop and clean everything myself before i start work by flushiung the flush machine with a liter of fluid.

Lots of other places around for about that price never mind that is a Canadian price as well.

Thanks for the news. I travel through Mississauga several times a year on business and maybe I will follow your lead at Wal-Mart. Cheers

actually , don;t get it at walmart it was just a basic price point i was making.

I wouldn't let them touch my car as i have more traingin than their whole service department as i am a technition not a mechanic.

Their are lots of places around here which do it well and pretty cheap anywhere from 60 - 100 canadian.

• 1 month later...

just had my 2000 GS300 flushed at my local lexus dealer. took an hour and cost $106.00. A bit steep but I sleep well knowing it was done properly.

I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 GS 300 and took it to a Lexus dealer for 45,000 oil change.  I was shocked to hear their recommendation for a $300+ tranny flush and fluid change.  The service guide that I have doesn't suggest that service until 60,000, although I've read posts that recommend the procedure every 24,000.  I understand the need for routine maintenance and I plan to keep the car for many years but at the same time I'm naturally skeptical about dealers and unsuspected service recommendations.  Let me learn from your experiences to prepare myself for future visits.  Much thanks!

• 3 years later...
just had my 2000 GS300 flushed at my local lexus dealer. took an hour and cost $106.00. A bit steep but I sleep well knowing it was done properly.
I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 GS 300 and took it to a Lexus dealer for 45,000 oil change. I was shocked to hear their recommendation for a $300+ tranny flush and fluid change. The service guide that I have doesn't suggest that service until 60,000, although I've read posts that recommend the procedure every 24,000. I understand the need for routine maintenance and I plan to keep the car for many years but at the same time I'm naturally skeptical about dealers and unsuspected service recommendations. Let me learn from your experiences to prepare myself for future visits. Much thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My service guy (whom I trust a great deal) says NOT to do a tranny flush on an older tranny. (Mine's 90K.) Too much risk of dispersing crud/junk through the parts that could cause further problems. Regular fluid replacement should suffice.