Replacement Lexus Master Keys

dgorrie

Like a lot of folks, I've found that Lexus master remote keys come apart often. The transponder and push buttons inside work fine, but the outside plastic is junk. Despite the flaws in design, Lexus continues to charge an arm/leg for a replacement key, and dealerships generally charge ridiculous amounts to program the new keys. Shame on Lexus.

But a recently came across a better way, and at a Lexus dealership to boot. The folks at Sewell Lexus in Dallas will sell you a master key "shell" -- the plastic outside portion with a new metal key shank. The cost is $75, including the cutting. All you have r to do is move the inside parts of the old, broken key to the new shell, and your back in business for 1/3 the cost of a new transponder key. Even better, it appears that the aftermarket key shell is stronger that the Lexus "dealer" shell, so hopefully the Sewell shell is the last replacement you would have to buy.

The shells can be seen at http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist.asp?SubCategoryID=91. I got one for my '99 RX300. They may not have these for all Lexus models, but there is a big savings where they do.

I got mine in person at Sewell. Good folks there. They have their own fancy key cutting machine ($40,000 worth), so they don't have to "farm out" the cutting, and it certainly comes out right.

FYI -- I have no affiliation with these folks, but anyone that does a really good job gets my praise.

For most folks, this "shell" option also beats the pricing of keys on e-bay if its' just the plastic shell that broke. Of course, if the inside part is busted or lost, then things are different.

Good luck.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I got my spare remote key at Lexus of Concord for $189 and it included programing. I got the dealer that I bought the car from to pay for it as only one remote was with the car along with the valet key. It was a Cadillac dealer not a Lexus.

Jeff

Like a lot of folks, I've found that Lexus master remote keys come apart often.  The transponder and push buttons inside work fine, but the outside plastic is junk.

For most folks, this "shell" option also beats the pricing of keys on e-bay if its' just the plastic shell that broke.  Of course, if the inside part is busted or lost, then things are different.

SON OF A B*TCH!!! That's what happened to my '00 RX-300 key! I argued with the dealer for a very long time about this when it got so bad it had to be replaced!!! I told him - The key works fine, the remote control buttons work fine - I just need the STUPID BLACK PLASITIC COVER for crying out loud!!!

$290 and two trips to the dealer later...............

CRAP!!!

Don't even own that car anymore - but I've still got my busted up master key! Don't lose it, God forbid!! I should frame it in a hall of shame some place.

Great find dgorrie. Thanks!

Wish I had seen this sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I got on-line:

Brand New OEM Master Key for Ford F150 Super Cab Pickup 1999 $20.24

Refurbished Factory Remote Key for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $80.00

Brand New After-Market Master Key for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $23.00

Activation Services for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $60.00

The "refurbished" key looks new, new shank, and maybe a new case too. I didn't shell out another $60 (or was it 80?) for "home service", so had to go to their local locksmith affiliate to have the keys cut and activated.

Excellent service and follow-through; I recommend them; the local locksmith also had nice things to say about the company:

1.866.BUY.KEYS

www.streetkeys.com

Sal's Dad

I got my spare remote key at Lexus of Concord for $189 and it included programing.