"new" 1995 Is Here!

jvcn

Just a followup on another post.

The 1995 LS 400 I bought for under $9K is here. Less than 95,000 miles. Haven't driven it much yet, but so far it's fantastic. Seems smooth, and drives better than most new cars. Clean, nearly new tires. The guy who sold it seems to have been absolutely true to his word. Looks in overall good shape, with only the leather looking a bit tired. But I think that can be cleaned and fixed up with the right conditioners. In the worst case, I'll apply Leatherique next spring.

Had it safety inspected and the mechanic said that it was in good shape overall. He couldn't believe the price I paid for it. Said it will make a good daily driver.

I'll have a more formal/Lexus inspection later.

Looks very promising! I just have to use my PC and some sealants and waxes to get the paint back up to snuff. But that will have to wait till the weather clears. Dang! I wish this car had arrived last week when the sun was shining!

But happy to be joining youze guys. And crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn into an expensive albatross. [That's my wife's theory. She doesn't trust a 9 yr old car from ANYBODY.]

:whistles:

Congrats, i have a Black 95 LS 400 as well, only 87,000 miles too and no problems what so ever, you dont need to worry. Just that damn radio light or whatever. Probably when i get my next car it will be an old lexus like 98 or 99. No new cars, rip offs. Get some pics up :)

Congrats on your new car!! With only 95k your car is just starting to get warmed up! Let your wife see this pic at the bottom....I think it'll put her mind to rest about the albatross. Yeah, we need pics!!!

I've used Leatherique, and I am pretty disappointed with it and the results it returns for a $70 product-I have two large bottles that collect dust in the garage. :( I'm much more satisfied with a $10 bottle of Lexol.

Enjoy...

:cheers:

Edited by blake918

Just a followup on another post. 

The 1995 LS 400 I bought for under $9K is here.  Less than 95,000 miles.  Haven't driven it much yet, but so far it's fantastic.  Seems smooth, and drives better than most new cars.  Clean, nearly new tires.  The guy who sold it seems to have been absolutely true to his word.  Looks in overall good shape, with only the leather looking a bit tired.  But I think that can be cleaned and fixed up with the right conditioners.  In the worst case, I'll apply Leatherique next spring.

Had it safety inspected and the mechanic said that it was in good shape overall.  He couldn't believe the price I paid for it.  Said it will make a good daily driver.

I'll have a more formal/Lexus inspection later.

Looks very promising!  I just have to use my PC and some sealants and waxes to get the paint back up to snuff.  But that will have to wait till the weather clears.  Dang!  I wish this car had arrived last week when the sun was shining!

But happy to be joining youze guys.  And crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn into an expensive albatross.  [That's my wife's theory.  She doesn't trust a 9 yr old car from ANYBODY.]

:whistles:

Thats a great price, I paid about the same price for mines with 99k...it's a great car capable of many many more miles. Did the previous owner have the 90k done yet? Is the leather just dirty or is it actually a little worn out?

As I mentioned in a previous post, not only did the guy do the 90k service but he sent me receipts showing he poured $5000 into it just a few months ago replacing parts that were worn or just for preventive maintenance. Everything from timing belt to power steering pump to alternator to windshield wipers to hood struts to seals and plugs. Plus Mobil 1 synth every 3 or 4 k for the last few years. A family situation forced him to sell unexpectedly. I even felt a bit sorry for him. That's why the mechanic doing the safety check looked at the inside and was stunned at all the stuff that had been done to it. He was obviously meticulous about maintenance, and unlike most private sellers had kept detailed service records.

Hey Blake918, if the Leatherique (I presume this is the Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean set) is just sitting there, would you mind selling me about a third to a half of the stuff for a modest price?

I'd very much like to try it. PM or let me know how to contact you.

Thx.

Let me try to attach a pic of the car. It's Ebony Teal in color. :cheers:

Thats a great price, I paid about the same price for mines with 99k...it's a great car capable of many many more miles. Did the previous owner have the 90k done yet? Is the leather just dirty or is it actually a little worn out?

post-13550-1099537302_thumb.jpg

Oh, and as to the leather: It's mostly dirty, but it also seems a bit dry. Not horrible by any means. That's why I'll get some Lexol locally, but I'd like to try Leatherique, especially if I can get a small amount.

I'd be glad to part with the Leatherique. I do have the Pristine Clean and Rejuvinator set. The Pristine Clean hasn't even be opened(I'm pretty sure), but I'd say about a half to third of the rejuvinator is gone. I'll talk with you some more about this when I get home Friday; I want to get the bottles in my hands so that I can let you know exactly what I have and don't have. ;) PM or email is fine; my email is available if you click my username(so is PM)-->send an email.

I've tried everything to get this stuff to work in my car...I let it bake with the heater on, let it sit in 95 degree southern heat, sit in 80 deg weather, but it just never seemed to do anything even after 4-5 treatments. My seats are very clean too....the product gets absorbed, but no softness is returned. <_<

If your seats are dirty, Mr. Cleans Magic Erasers are a dream come true-available in your grocer's cleaning isle for $5. Take a look at what it did to my '95: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...77&hl=mr++clean

Your car looks great! ;)

Mr. Clean magic erasers do work pretty good but Fast Orange hand cleaner works 10x better. You could find this stuff ($12 for a gallon jug) at kragens...there's no petroleum or anything so it'll be safe for your leather. All you do is take a small glob of Fast Orange and lightly rub it on...then take a damp cloth and wipe it off...you'll be amazed how well it works. I've tried Mr. Clean magic eraser before and it was decent but you can't even compare it to how well Fast Orange works. This stuff works like a dream....trust me.

Just a quick followup: After over a week of driving I have to say, THIS IS THE BEST CAR I'VE EVER DRIVEN!!!

No idea why I didn't do this before (Oh yeah, I thought new was too expensive and dismissed the idea of used). It is exactly what I was looking for -- a luxo barge, that wasn't a total marshmallow, that goes fast, but is very quiet, smooth, comfortable and solid.

If future repairs and maintenance don't turn out to be a pain, I will never go back to newer cars again. [i only wish Lexus would go back to the style of the 1998-2000. I guess I'll get a 2000 when I replace this baby in the future.] And the Germans can keep their uncomfortable, driving excitement tin cans to themselves. This is all the excitement I want.

And this also means that I'll never have to drive tiny cars again. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newer Club member but I wanted to reassure jvcn about his recent LS purchase. I bought my first LS 2 Augusts ago on Ebay from a Dallas used car dealer. A 1990 (1st year LS) with 119k (now has 133k). Flew down to Dallas and drove car home 1000 mi in 2 days. This 15 yr old LS is an amazing car - best car I have ever driven. Mine gets mistaken for a 3 - 4 yr. old vehicle all the time and it drives flawlessly. Inside it's quieter than some new cars and with Mobil 1 I get 26 - 27 mpg doing 75 mph. I have heard and read that the LS engine often goes 400 - 500k without a problem. Enjoy your '95 LS.

.  I have heard and read that the LS engine often goes 400 - 500k without a problem.  Enjoy your '95 LS.

Thank you for your kind remarks. Brought it in for a Mobil 1 oil change. The mechanic -- who follows this forum -- was really happy to work on the car. The other guys in the shop said that he (the boss) said it was his baby and that he was practically jumping up and down while working on it. He told me: "The guy who sold it took BETTER care of the car than he said. "

I love how my friends and neighbors react when they see it (and now I've really improved the paint with a polisher and multiple layers of sealant and wax)! My wife says that friends who drop in just notice it sitting in the garage and ask about it. The sequence is usually 1) You bought a Lexus! 2) Is it the v8? 3) That's 9 (NINE) years old??! 4) You paid HOW much??!!! 5) You got it through EBAY!!???!!! and sometimes 6) You've gotta help me get one as well. :lol: B)

You forgot the 7th question: Do you want to sell it?

Hah! I've already gotten offers at $10K and $11K. Not a chance.

I just have to add. I've been so pleased with this LS and so annoyed by the remarks of posters in various places about what's wrong with the car that I have to say:

1) PLEASE LEXUS, Don't listen to those who want the LS to imitate the harsh ride and hard seats of the BMWs and MBs,

2) PLEASE don't feel pressured to keep adding gadgets, and above all

3) PLEASE go back to something like the LS400's styling!!!

I know that I'm probably just a snowball in hell but the constant nagging by the press to make the Lexus more "exciting" or Bimmer like is slowly causing Lexus to keep changing their perfect balance. For me this is almost EXACTLY what I want. [Only improvement is a better stereo than the NAK] When I look at the 430s I think -- maybe I should buy a 1999 or 2000 and mothball it somewhere so that it'll be available for me when this 95 finally croaks in about 10-15 years. :lol: