Picking A Car

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say first and foremost that I really like this site. Lots of good info over here. That being said I would like to get you perspective on this comparison, as unbiased as could possibly be, seeing as how this is a Lexus forum. I am torn between purchasing an Audi A6 4.2 V8 or a GS400 or even 430 if the price is right (Looking for under 30K). I would like to konw what advantages the Lexus holds over the Audi or vice versa. Also, I do understand that as Lexus vehicles, these cars are extremely reliable, however, I would still like to know of any recurring problems on the GS or even the Audi if you know of any. Once again, thank you for your help.

Michael

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say first and foremost that I really like this site.  Lots of good info over here.  That being said I would like to get you perspective on this comparison, as unbiased as could possibly be, seeing as how this is a Lexus forum.  I am torn between purchasing an Audi A6 4.2 V8 or a GS400 or even 430 if the price is right (Looking for under 30K).  I would like to konw what advantages the Lexus holds over the Audi or vice versa.  Also, I do understand that as Lexus vehicles, these cars are extremely reliable, however, I would still like to know of any recurring problems on the GS or even the Audi if you know of any.  Once again, thank you for your help.

Michael

a good comparison in my opinion. is the Audi all-wheel drive?

I'd believe that the edge for "modding" the car with suspension, bodykit, etc would go to the Lexus.

Tough comparison though. How reliable is that Audi 4.2? Have you checked edmunds.com for input?

I find the GS to be a tad more sportier when properly outfitted, and the Audi a bit more adult/mature looking.

Yes the Audi is all wheel drive, and as it was mentioned I too believe that the Lexus is a tad be sportier with it being rear wheel drive. In regards to modifications that is not particularly a buying point for me but something to consider nonetheless. I have checked edmunds out and for the most part seems like a very reliable car. As with any other car there are a few quirks here and there, but nothing to deter me from purchasing it. Both cars have almost exact HP numbers however I feel the lexus may be quicker due to it being lighter (probably will never hear the said again). Further input on the topic is greatly appreciated.

P.S. New Big400, if you could expand on your statement with your reasoning that would also be great. Thanks for the time.

Michael

I love the way a a6 drives but it is a bit bulky.

Love the super saloon look and both interior and exterior sytling.

But their reliability for electrical and other systems is just palin awful it is what keeps me from buying any audi and my wife wants an a4 bad.

But sorry my time for having to keep extra parts in my garage for the known break downs is over.

The GS is nice looking and moves well but is pretty much bullet proof.

Thank you SKperformance, that's exactly what I needed to know. As mentioned before, I hear raves about Lexus reliablility and I wasn't sure if the electrical gremlins were only in the a4 (B5 platform?). Thank you for clarifying this, it will most definately affect my decision.

One other thing that I would like to know is how the GS400 can be expected to handle a New York winter. I live about an hour from NYC so the winters aren't exactly harsh. However, from time to time there will be 2"-4" of snow on the ground with the occasional ice. I do realize once again that the car is rear wheel drive with a significant amount of power (not good combo) however I feel the weight could be used to its advantage.

My reason for saying so is that ive owned a first gen300 and now a 98 gs4 and theve both been great cars not a prob. with either.Also my roomate sells Audis and has owned several.He is always coming home w/horror stories.I agree w skperformance comp. on the electrical probs. Ive heard hundreds and alot w/the A6.My roomate owns a new A4 it has 15K now and hes had a few probs. nothing major but alot af small things that have kept the car at the dealer alot.My 98GS4 Has 98K and has been a great car.Ive done some mods and never had a prob.I take good care of her but I also push her very hard sometimes and shes never let me down yet.As for the snow I live in Indiana and I used to drive my car in the snow when I first got it but not in a few years since Ive done some Mods. Its not as driveable as it was stock.With the stock wheels and tires my gs4 was incredible in the snow better than most front wheel drives.Lexus has an amazing trac. control system and if it gets too bad flip the setting to snow and you can go anywhere.(slowly) If the audi as all-wheel than it will obviously handle better in the snow, but dont let the rear wheel and the horsepower decieve you it will also do very well.I hope Ive been a bit more helpful and good luck with your purchase.

New Big400, thank you very much for your detailed response. It has helped solidify my decision to purchase a gs4. It's good to know that this car is drivable in moderate snow, and thank you once more for your experiences with Audis.

Michael

I am a new GS400 (1998) owner since June and I think it is great. 50,000 and no problems. Routine maintenance is more expensive than what I was used to (Camry and Sienna Van) but in the same category as the Audi. My Dad had a 1976 Audi Fox and it was constantly breaking down. HAving said that, German engineering has not fully evolved from the skilled craftsman to a consistent defect-free frame of mind. Toyota (Lean/TPS, etc.) is very precise and their designs show it. Audi/VW/Porche still have a sense of the skilled craftsman in their manufacturing and haven't reached the level Toyota has. In fact, no other manufacturer has to date, though some are making strides. After using Toyota vs Ford as the topics for my MBA thesis, I could not find an argument against Toyota/Lexus. If it is solid manufacturing you are loking for goLexus. I personally find my 1998 GS 400 a freakin' thrill to drive. Not since my Kawasaki Ninja Zx-10 have I enjoyed commuting so much. You decide. A test drive will be in order, and that should assist you greatly.