Seat Belt Tensioners

Is there any way to strengthen or add more tension to the seat belt tensioners? I've got a '93 and the driver's side seat belt just doesn't snap back like I think it should. Half the time I end up having to "help" the seat belt back into the tensioner. I haven't taken anything apart to look at it yet (once I do, an solution may be easier than I think), but I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone here has bothered with this before.

thnx.

The passenger side seat belt in my '96 SC300 is having the same problem. I asked Lexus about it and had like an "import mechanic friend" look at it and they both said that it can't be fixed you just have to buy new seatbelts. But they told me that even though the belt doesn't have tension, it's not defective, it will still work fine

The passenger side seat belt in my '96 SC300 is having the same problem. I asked Lexus about it and had like an "import mechanic friend" look at it and they both said that it can't be fixed you just have to buy new seatbelts. But they told me that even though the belt doesn't have tension, it's not defective, it will still work fine

Some times the tensioner and the belt itself just need a good cleaning and some lube.

Yeah, I kinda figured that I might need to buy a whole new seat belt assembly. (Not gonna happen). I'll just try the clean & lube option. After 11 years, there's probably a good amount of dust and stuff down in the tensioner mechanism anyway.

Yeah, I kinda figured that I might need to buy a whole new seat belt assembly.  (Not gonna happen).  I'll just try the clean & lube option.  After 11 years, there's probably a good amount of dust and stuff down in the tensioner mechanism anyway.

Keep us posted on what you find .

Thanx in advance. ;)

Just outta curiosity, don't the cars come with lifetime seatbelt warranties? (not implying the seatbelts are broken, but hypothetically...)

Not sure about any lifetime warranty on seatbelts. I suppose I could call Lexus and find out, but given that they're not really "broken" I'm not sure if cleaning or "re-tensioning" would be covered in it. Not to mention, I think I'd rather just do it myself and not bother with the whole "make an appointment, drop your car off, take a loaner, and pick it back up later" thing just for a seat belt. The dealer in my area stays quite busy. Plus, I'm a real "hands-on" type of guy. I like taking things apart. I did a head gasket and valve stem seal job on my '91 Integra a couple summers ago.

I'll post my results in a week or so.

Thanks.

Just outta curiosity, don't the cars come with lifetime seatbelt warranties? (not implying the seatbelts are broken, but hypothetically...)

I thought the same thing - similar to insurance companies having to replace glass with no deductible, because it is "safety" related. My dad had told me years ago about getting a seatbelt fixed for free because the automakers "took safety so serously" Seems like I remember that it wasn't technically "covered" but the dealer didn't charge anything and did it out of goodwill, again because of the safety thing.

Would be worth a call, just say something to the effect of "does Lexus care if their life-saving equipment breaks? I can see tires and plugs wearing out, but . . . "