Replacing Rx300 Brake Discs

TunedRX300

The kit costs $39.99 from harbor freight but they have sales. I was able to get the kit for $19.99. Works on a number of makes (Toyota, Audi, GM, VW, etc)

SK... you mentioned that you did a writeup on changing the brakes on your ES. I tried searching for it but i can't find it. Can you help? Thanks!

• 9 months later...
No brake rust here in North Carolina, but I will be replacing my wife's brake pads within the next 5,000 miles due to wear (she's closing in on 75,000 miles now  -  not bad for the original brakes).

I've been advised to stay with semi-metallic pads, which is what the RX series is built with.  Some brake shops say that ceramic pads are just too rough on the relatively soft rotors of the RX.  Why did you decide to go to a ceramic pad?

I just learned that since 02, Lexus might change OEM pads to ceramic. Lexus' supplier may be Akebono, so if you buy Akebono aftermarket pads, they are actually labeled as OEM pads at www.rockauto.com. JDM cars have been using ceramic pads for years and I can see why.

Ceramic as OEM pads

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had problems with my front rotors for my 99 AWD RX300. A couple years ago around 50,000 miles I replaced the front rotors and pads (with ceramic) due to rust pitting and rust around the edges with aftermarket parts, I think Raybestos. Anyways, now at 78,000 miles the brake shop and dealer say the front rotors have rust pitting again. I am frustrated since I was hoping that paying extra for Lexus/Toyota quality would avoid this kind of problem. I will look into the rotors mentioned earlier, but I was wondering if anyone else has been having rust pitting problems with their rotors? I live in Chicago and unfortunately do not have a garage, but I have never had to replace brake rotors on my other cars before especially in just a few years and under 50,000 miles. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have had problems with my front rotors for my 99 AWD RX300.  A couple years ago around 50,000 miles I replaced the front rotors and pads (with ceramic) due to rust pitting and rust around the edges with aftermarket parts, I think Raybestos.  Anyways, now at 78,000 miles the brake shop and dealer say the front rotors have rust pitting again.  I am frustrated since I was hoping that paying extra for Lexus/Toyota quality would avoid this kind of problem.  I will look into the rotors mentioned earlier, but I was wondering if anyone else has been having rust pitting problems with their rotors?  I live in Chicago and unfortunately do not have a garage, but I have never had to replace brake rotors on my other cars before especially in just a few years and under 50,000 miles.  Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Brake pads have little to do with rusting. All brake dusts are corrosive, even though ceramic brake dusts are less. If you live in a salt belt state, road salt and heat generated by braking are both catalysts for metal oxididation. I recommend you Rotora front rotors because non-fritional surface are covered by black heat resistant and rust preventing paint. Rotora called it "E coating".

I got my rear Rotora rotors at StreeBeatCustoms, subscribe to their email list and chances are they will even email you coupon code during holiday sales.

Rotora rotors are slotted and the E coating is awesome. The only drawback is that they may backorder so the wait could be 2 weeks. But they will email to you when it is ordered and shipped

post-13204-1132457063_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
did you lube the sliders and pistons check the rotors and reinstall the shims aswell as antisqueel ?

...ahh.... I don't think i lubed anything... I just removed the brake pads and installed new ones in.. :o

can u direct me how to find your tutorial on brake pad replacement, front and rear , for a 2000 awd lexus rx 300. thxs marty schluns

did you lube the sliders and pistons check the rotors and reinstall the shims aswell as antisqueel ?

...ahh.... I don't think i lubed anything... I just removed the brake pads and installed new ones in.. :o

can u direct me how to find your tutorial on brake pad replacement, front and rear , for a 2000 awd lexus rx 300. thxs marty schluns

Here you go.

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/