Replacing Rx300 Brake Discs

TunedRX300

After one and half winter in upstate NY, 2000 RX300's brake discs (<39000 miles) are so rusted that I can hear a noise from brakes when coasting at 5-10 mph.

I always want to improve RX300's braking anyway but not at Lexus dealer's quoted $1086 to replace all 4 discs, pads, and shims with OEM parts.

So I bought Brembo OE replacement discs ($142) and Akebono ProAct ceramic pads ($47) online for the front brakes and scheduled a reputable shop to install them for $65 this Saturday. Total is $254 for the front ones. Double that for the rear and it is over 50% saving over dealer, not mentioning superior braking products. :P

Anybody else needs to replace their brake discs due to rust?

No brake rust here in North Carolina, but I will be replacing my wife's brake pads within the next 5,000 miles due to wear (she's closing in on 75,000 miles now - not bad for the original brakes).

I've been advised to stay with semi-metallic pads, which is what the RX series is built with. Some brake shops say that ceramic pads are just too rough on the relatively soft rotors of the RX. Why did you decide to go to a ceramic pad?

Better braking performance for basically the same price. I am not too concerned about rotor wear since I will have Brembo OE replacement rotors instead of Lexus rotors. Brembo's rotors are made with high carbon cast iron instead of standard alloy cast iron. See the chart at the bottom of link, it is not a wear chart but a braking distance chart.

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Market/History/ProductsHC.htm

I drove about 150 miles with newly intalled Brembo front rotors and Akebono pads. Braking noticeably improved even though Akebono recommends 400-500 miles of break-in distance. So far for one day, I did not hear any noise and obviously can't tell about dust yet. But I definitely have more control. I hated those "sliding" feel when RX300 has built up speed and I need to press so hard to stop at an intersection. Now I don't have to strain my leg :D

If you go to tirerack, click brake rotor and look for people with Brembo OE replacement rotor and Akebono pads combo, feedbacks scores are mostly 9 or 10.

I don't think anyone makes Big Brake Kit for RX300. Even Brembo doesn't make rear rotors for AWD RX300. I will try Rotora for those rear ones next.

I bought a set of Axxis Metal Master brake pads. They are a semi-metallic brake pad that produce vitually no brake dust or squeal and cause very little wear on the rotors like some of the semi-metallics can. I haven't noticed much difference in stoping distance, so I don't think that is an issue. I am just happy to have gotten rid of the brake dust and squeal.

Thanks to bluestu and skperformance. This is good information to have at pad replacement time, which will come up for my wife's vehicle in 4,000 to 5,000 miles if not sooner. It's always great to have options.

I just ordered two Rotora rear discs, now I can tell noise coming just from those rear brakes. Not going to replace pads since they still have 75% left, I doubt there is a need since pads don't rust. Plus front brakes handle most of the braking, little gain in imperformance if I switch to ceramic.

Rotora discs are slotted B)

• 4 weeks later...
I just ordered two Rotora rear discs, now I can tell noise coming just from those rear brakes.   Not going to replace pads since they still have 75% left, I doubt there is a need since pads don't rust.  Plus front brakes handle most of the braking, little gain in imperformance if I switch to ceramic.

Rotora discs are slotted  B)

I replaced my brake pads finally after 80K+ miles(still 40% left on all four)but everytime I step on my brakes it squeaks on the newly installed brake pads.(very annoying) Maybe its just all the dirt and dust but after cleaning it(spraying water, and also bought some brake disc cleaner....)it still squeaks. I also checked my rotors and all are still good....

any idea why its squeaking?

Hey TunedRX300,

where did you get your brembo brake kit? I want to install it on mine?

thanks

I got them at www.importperformance.com but I noticed they don't carry for RX300 AWD anymore.

You can try tirerack.com, a little more expensive but the customer service is

better.

Ceramic brake pads have zero noise, no noticable brake dust over one month of driving now. Even my wife notices the improved braking performance.

I replaced my brake pads finally after 80K+ miles(still 40% left on all four)but everytime I step on my brakes it squeaks on the newly installed brake pads.(very annoying) Maybe its just all the dirt and dust but after cleaning it(spraying water, and also bought some brake disc cleaner....)it still squeaks. I also checked my rotors and all are still good....

any idea why its squeaking?

Hey TunedRX300,

where did you get your brembo brake kit? I want to install it on mine?

thanks

SK with the c clamps what do you use to turn the pistons on the rear? When I tried to use a c-clamp it wouldn't work you have to turn the pistons as well as push them in and with the c-clamp the c foot didn't rotate and screw the piston back in. The one that I got from autozone has a pin to rotate the c foot as you turn the screw in and it rotates the piston back into the caliper. Did you drill your c-clamp and put in a pin?

hmm , funny enough i don't have a piston activated e-brake but a drum and shoe one inside the rotors hat.

I never thought anyone would go back to that style of stylel as GM used it widely in the 90's on their w body cars. I hated the system but still have the $5 cube that attaches to a ratchet and turns the piston to rotate it inside again.