Keys? - I'm Now So Confused...

headjoog

I have read through some of the threads about extra keys and now completely confused. Can someone pllleezzee help clarify?

I just bought a 91 LS400. I only received one key that works with the remote - the key with the little button on the side.

I need at least one more key - preferably another one like this.

Now - I read somewhere that you couldn't purchase another key and reprogram for this year model. But...I see a couple of tututorials that say you can. If I spend the $$ to buy a couple of other keys like this, can you actually use them? Can they be reprogrammed?

In the event I can't use another remote key, can I purchase another key and use it - like a manual key?

Thank you in advance - I'm so confused, but loving the car so far.

Thanks,

Headjoog

I have read through some of the threads about extra keys and now completely confused.  Can someone pllleezzee help clarify?

I just bought a 91 LS400.  I only received one key that works with the remote - the key with the little button on the side.

I need at least one more key - preferably another one like this.

Now - I read somewhere that you couldn't purchase another key and reprogram for this year model.  But...I see a couple of tututorials that say you can.  If I spend the $$ to buy a couple of other keys like this, can you actually use them?  Can they be reprogrammed?

In the event I can't use another remote key, can I purchase another key and use it - like a manual key?

Thank you in advance - I'm so confused, but loving the car so far.

Thanks,

Headjoog

my ls400 came with 4 keys. 1 wireless entry one, 2 normal ones, and 1 credit card one that goes in your wallet.

All right Headjoog,

Here is the deal. Those tuturials that you see are useless, for our models. Even if they are, probably for if you buy a whole new system or computer.

So, sorry to say this but you can't add more remote keys into the current computer.

But, for $350 from a local Lexus dealer you can have them put a whole new computer and new set of keys (two remote keys) and many others to your collections.

Bad thing about the Lexus remote keys is as you know, they SUCK......for what they are worth.

Fortunetly, you can add more of just plain o regular keys. Like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=40016

You can take these uncut keys to your local Lexus dealer with a master key (or just a copy of your old key) and they will cut the keys for FREE!!!

You can find your local Lexus dealer from www.lexus.com. Plus from this site, after your register for free, you can order free Owner Manuals (for any year model) and brochures of the new 2004 models from the site.

Hope this helps. ;)

I purchased a new master key after I misplaced my second master key. I purchsed one from Swell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com). I bought the non-remote master key. They cut the key specifically for your Lexus based on the VIN you give them. They required me to supply them with proof that I owned the vehicle, just faxed them one of the documents they requested, it wasn't a problem at all. I recieved the key in just over a week. It works, not much else to say! I was very pleased with Swell Lexus and plan to do bussiness with them again! :)

I got it now....thanks for the info and replies!

Headjoog

Hi There!!!

Just wanted to add that I was able to goto a local locksmith here in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and have two spare keys made. ( My cheap little remote key for my 93 LS400 broke as well!!! :censored: ) It was only $30.00 per key including the blank (he had them in stock!) and they work perfect.

I feel that $300.00+ for a new remote key is robbery. My buddy got a replacement for his 2002 Dodge Durango (after he dropped it in the lake while we were Bass fishing :lol: ) from a local dealer for only about $60.00. Just goes to show you that they think if you've got a Lexus...you've got money to burn!

Regards,

Bryan

Post Falls, Idaho