Hit A Bump On Train Track...

1991LS400

I hit a HUGE HUGE HUGE bump in a train track last night and when I got in my car this morning I noticed my speedomoter needle drops about 5 inches below 0 when not moving (idle) giving me innacurate MPH readings while I'm driving and my gas gauge doesn't go all the way to the "F" when full and doesn't go all the way to the "E" when empty.

What do I do???? I've already spent $4,000 on engine work and restoration. I cannot afford an arm and a leg for a whole new cluster board...*cries*

Advice, please...

Brian Styles

Lexusownersclub.com

1991 Diamond White Pearl

LS 400 - 250K and still going...

I hit a HUGE HUGE HUGE bump in a train track last night and when I got in my car this morning I noticed my speedomoter needle drops about 5 inches below 0 when not moving (idle) giving me innacurate MPH readings while I'm driving and my gas gauge doesn't go all the way to the "F" when full and doesn't go all the way to the "E" when empty.

What do I do????  I've already spent $4,000 on engine work and restoration.  I cannot afford an arm and a leg for a whole new cluster board...*cries*

Advice, please...

Brian Styles

Lexusownersclub.com

1991 Diamond White Pearl

send the city the repair bill <_<

What do I do????  I've already spent $4,000 on engine work and restoration.  I cannot afford an arm and a leg for a whole new cluster board...*cries*

Advice, please...

Brian Styles

Lexusownersclub.com

1991 Diamond White Pearl

send the city the repair bill <_<

It doesn't hurt to try, but the city will probably say it's the railroad's liability and the railroad will probably send you back to the city. Excuses, shifting of blame and red tape is more than likely the most you can expect. But don't let that stop you from trying and if you start getting the run-around, maybe a letter to the editor might help.

Mike

About 10 years ago, I had a 1991 Camaro. It only had 33K actual miles (it was only 3 years old however) and it was in mint condition. One night traveling home on a city street, I hit a large exposed pot hole, where ironically radlroad tracks used to be many years ago (about 20 years ago). The car started wobbling violently and I quickly stopped. Called the local police and come and filed a report. Finally met with a city rep and said I should get three estimates and turn it into them. Anyway- the repairs totalled $1100. It broke something in the steering. They paid for the repairs. May not work in all situations however.

Good luck.

I know what you mean about not wanting to spend big bucks on repairs. I already have $4500 invested in my LS with HIGH miles (234K) and it needs about $1000 more in repairs for annoyances.

partly serious and partly joking

It may work, it has worked for other people.

If you start to get red tape and run arounds, do your research and take them to small claims court. I would think it would be the city's job to mantain the area around railroad crossings.

Advice, please...

Brian Styles

Lexusownersclub.com

1991 Diamond White Pearl

How do you know that it registers E on empty ? and vice versa on full when it has only been a day ? Are you saying that when you turn the car off the guage doesn't go to E ? I take it that you filled it up since the incedent , Disconnect the neg battery cable for 20 min , and see if this resets the "DASH " It is worth a try . It is amazing what reseting the ECU can do . Hope this helps .:cheers:

Let us know how this turns out with the city if you pursue that avenue , No pun intended B)

I'm flattered dcfish ........ glad you like the animated Lexus symbol ............. it's kinda neat to see someome else select something I made!  I used a couple of digital editing programs and a .gif maker.  Enjoy .....:cheers:

Where did you distribute the symbol ? I have had it for years on my machine . Although it is nice , I must agree . B)

I'm flattered dcfish ........ glad you like the animated Lexus symbol ............. it's kinda neat to see someome else select something I made!  I used a couple of digital editing programs and a .gif maker.  Enjoy .....:cheers:

Where did you distribute the symbol ? I have had it for years on my machine . Although it is nice , I must agree . B)

This is more like it !!! B)

I made a 4 hour trip after the incident, that's how I knew the gauges were messed up, including the fuel gauge. Example, when the tank is full, the needle is about an inch below "F" and when it is empty, it's only an inch below 1/2 a tank including my speedomoter needle starting at 5 inches below 0! ARGH!

And since the incident my battery has been disconnected (to install a new radiator). That didn't work because my gauges are still screwy.

Any more advice from anyone?

P.S. What can I really say to the city about this situation? Any good ideas?

I can understand your frustration. My speedometer needle recently decided it wanted to do the typical thing on these cars and 1/4 of it is now black. <_< Really irritating- but as some would say- my car DOES have 250K miles. (234K actually). :P

I made a 4 hour trip after the incident, that's how I knew the gauges were messed up, including the fuel gauge.  Example, when the tank is full, the needle is about an inch below "F" and when it is empty, it's only an inch below 1/2 a tank including my speedomoter needle starting at 5 inches below 0!  ARGH!

And since the incident my battery has been disconnected (to install a new radiator).  That didn't work because my gauges are still screwy.

Any more advice from anyone?

P.S.  What can I really say to the city about this situation?  Any good ideas?

Never done this myself, but get several estimates, from the dealer and elsewhere, and include them with a letter stating what happened and why they should pay for it. Do your research and if you can do so with a good chance of winning maybe you could threaten legal action or something. Anyone else care to give advice?

5 inches below 0? umm... 5 inches is about

that much. Its that far below 0???

Oh lord, I'm exaggerating!  In honest measurements, about an inch below 0 is where my speedomoter needle sits.

lol, thought so, but I wasn't sure if you were exagerating or if you just had no sense of distance...

MOst if not all cities have a department to deal with road repair issues and damage.

I know toronto and Ontario have 2 seperate ones for highway in side toronto the other for all outside toronto and the city deals with all local road problems ,they usually pay them when it is a good reason with documentation.

• 8 months later...

Hi Bryan,

I did the same thing last weekend only my mistake was from my own misjudgement and not the blame of a traintrack. I hit the underneath of the car hard and now my tachometer is doing the exact same thing your speedo did, where it's way below 0 and registers way way low when driving. I've raised the car and checked everything underneath and luckily the only damage I see is a nice clean spot on the frame near the jack spot. I've unhooked the battery overnight but the tach still doesn't work right.

I was just curious what you wound up doing on your problem. Did you have to change the whole cluster? Any input is greatly appriciated. Thanks,

Darrin

I would call your DOT. File a complaint. Thast what my dad did when he hit the pothole at Steak and Shake. Thats what he htign screwed up the airbag. They said they would do somethign but havent called him back. If you stay on them they should pay.

good luck