Cracked Moonroof

A few months ago a small crack appeared on the edge of my '96 es300 moonroof, and now has traveled across the entire glass. The other day I saw a lady driving an es300 with her moonroff tilted and it was cracked. I talked to an '95 es300 owner and he said it was common... Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to minimize the chance of it happening again?

Thanks!

A few months ago a small crack appeared on the edge of my moonroof, and now has traveled across the entire glass.  The other day I saw a lady driving an es300 with her moonroff tilted and it was cracked. I talked to an ex-es300 owner and he said it was common... Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything I can do to minimize the chance of it happening again?

Thanks!

i can only see it happening in 2 instances.

1. a rock chip that spread due to the flex of the glass as the body twists through turns

2. an accident thatwas severe enough to bend the unibody, they had it straightened and just didnt bother with a new sunroof glass panel.

its not a common thing that i have ever heard of, on ANY car.

never seen this happen without some sort of impact and haven't heard of it on this forum or CL in the 2 years I have been on.

This is not to say that it couldn't happen.

steviej

Mine is a '96. The owner of a '95 told me he replaced three moonroofs on his. UPDATE: Talked to him the other day: 1st moonroof leaked after purchased new--Lexus replaced. 2nd broke due to rock from gravel truck, but 3rd was a mystery like mine with no impact. There was no rock chip on mine and the fracture started on the very edge and with a month or two went all the way across.

It doesn't leak (thankfully), 'cuz it's $1300 to replace.

I love the car; I'm glad your replies indicate it's a rare thing.

never seen this happen without some sort of impact and haven't heard of it on this forum or CL in the 2 years I have been on.

This is not to say that it couldn't happen.

steviej

Mine is a '96. The owner of a '95 told me he replaced three moonroofs on his. Needless to say, after seeing the lady with hers broken, I became worried. There was no rock chip on mine and the fracture started on the very edge and with a month or two went all the way across.

It doesn't leak (thankfully), 'cuz it's $1300 to replace.

I love the car; I'm glad your replies indicate it's a rare thing.

very odd...cold weather climate??? i can see how heat rises, so if you run around with your heater on and its -30 windchill outside but 80 in the car...maybe.

The glass sunroof of my 90 LS cracked a year or two before I sold it to ylekiot1 last November. It took only a few days for the crack to spread from edge to edge. I assume the crack was caused by a stone kicked up by another vehicle although I never heard an impact. There seems to be a lot of debri on roads and this was far from the first glass damage I have had on a car -- one reason I keep the deductible on comprehensive coverage low ($0) but the deductible on collision coverage high ($2,000).