1997 Es 300

1997 ES 300 bought 10 days ago. It has 84K miles on it. the insurance cost me $1000 for a year. I am 26 years old.

This car had 2 previous owners and I got it for 10.5K. Champagne exterior with tan leather interior. No heated seats (I live in Arizona !!!). All power and pretty from outside and inside. Pirelli tires with plenty of tread left.

I forgot to check the CD changer, and have now noticed that one of the trays for the premium sound system is broken. The CD player returns "ERR 1" when played and I am just scared that more things could have been wrong it. Any suggestions to deal with this problem will be appreciated. :cries:

welcome to the club.

please take a few minutes and read the rules and guidelines to the forum.

Also of note, please read the FAQ (frequently asked questions) section above and make full use of the search function.

Many of your questions about the 97 ES probably have been asked and answered.

As for the CD problem, if you can get the cartidge out, throw it away and get a new one. They are always available on ebay and plenty of online dealers have them for about $20.

ERR 1 indicates the disc is dirty, damaged or the disc was inserted up-side down.

I have heard of ERR 1 being obtained when a homemade discs are used and the disc was not formated correctly.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

:cheers: I bought my 1997 ES 300 with 67k for $10,000. Nice car with nice ride. Black on Black (not my preference). Needs an alignment and some tires. The back lights are out on the radio. It is the premium sound(made by pioneer I believe).

Any suggestions on how to replace the lamps if possible?

Replacing the bulbs behind the stereo-and-A/C cluster involves removing the entire cluster from the center console and accessing the circuit board behind the stereo unit where the bulbs are affected. I did this before in my '01 ES when a couple lights behind the A/C unit burnt out. It was a pretty easy DIY process and saved my butt from getting taken by the dealership for $500 in labor charges :o

Try to do a search on this topic; I remember this was discussed in the past. If you can't find it, message me and I'll walk you thru the process.

Replacing the bulbs behind the stereo-and-A/C cluster involves removing the entire cluster from the center console and accessing the circuit board behind the stereo unit where the bulbs are affected. I did this before in my '01 ES when a couple lights behind the A/C until burnt out. It was a pretty easy DIY process and saved my butt from getting taken by the dealership for $500 in labor charges :o

Try to do a search on this topic; I remember this was discussed in the past. If you can't find it, message me and I'll walk you thru the process.

Thanks for the help. I am sure I can finger it out. I just bought a shop manual on E bay ($65 including shipping) which may help. It is the back light for the stereo, not any buttons.

:cheers:  I bought my 1997 ES 300 with 67k for $10,000. Nice car with nice ride. Black on Black (not my preference). Needs an alignment and some tires. The back lights are out on the radio. It is the premium sound(made by pioneer I believe).

My 97 ES300 Stero says "Lexus Premium Sound System" and there is a sub-woffer on the rear deck.

You have the standard lexus sound system that comes with the basic models. The nakamachi was the upgraded system. The premium system is made by pioneer. You will have to remove the radio. To do so, you will have to pop the vent above out. It is held with clips so use a dull object and pop it off. Next, below the AC controls, there is a horizontal plasatic piece that needs to come off. Pop it off also. There are 4 bolts that hold the radio cage in place. unscrew these and the ac unit with radio will come out. The bolts are 10mm.

You have the standard lexus sound system that comes with the basic models.  The nakamachi was the upgraded system.  The premium system is made by pioneer.  You will have to remove the radio.  To do so, you will have to pop the vent above out.  It is held with clips so use a dull object and pop it off.  Next, below the AC controls, there is a horizontal plasatic piece that needs to come off.  Pop it off also.  There are 4 bolts that hold the radio cage in place.  unscrew these and the ac unit with radio will come out.  The bolts are 10mm.

Thanks!!!

1997 ES 300 bought 10 days ago. It has 84K miles on it. the insurance cost me $1000 for a year. I am 26 years old.

This car had 2 previous owners and I got it for 10.5K. Champagne exterior with tan leather interior. No heated seats (I live in Arizona !!!). All power and pretty from outside and inside. Pirelli tires with plenty of tread left.

I forgot to check the CD changer, and have now noticed that one of the trays for the premium sound system is broken. The CD player returns "ERR 1" when played and I am just scared that more things could have been wrong it. Any suggestions to deal with this problem will be appreciated.:cries:

OH yeah, the 97 Lexus is more to insure then my 02 BMW 325i and my 03 Tahoe Z-71. Go figure???

• 1 month later...

Replacing the bulbs behind the stereo-and-A/C cluster involves removing the entire cluster from the center console and accessing the circuit board behind the stereo unit where the bulbs are affected. I did this before in my '01 ES when a couple lights behind the A/C unit burnt out. It was a pretty easy DIY process and saved my butt from getting taken by the dealership for $500 in labor charges :o

OK I finally got it apart, no problem. The circuit board had two diodes on it and were solidered in. Of course Lexus parts has no cule. Did you replace the board or the diodes? This is a 1997 and the stero is Pioneer (p/n86123-33060). The PCB with the diodes is CNP 4091-B #5 with IL 901 and 902 being the designator.

I need the P/N for the Diodes.

Any Ideas?

Thanks