Oil Filter Wrench

Jacob

Does anyone know how to get a Lexus oil filter wrench?

About two weeks ago, I called Bell Lexus of Phoenix and asked if they had the wrench. They said it wasn't a stock item and that they had to order it, so I said OK. They called a few days latter and told me that the tool had arrived. But when I went to get it today (about 30-mile drive), they told that they don't sell such an item :angry:

Is there a substitute for this toll? Because I tried about 4 aftermarket tolls and none worked.

Jacob

Buy a strap or chain type adjustable wrench. There is no need to try and find a specific wrench for the filter. It is a smaller diameter like most import cars now use. Or do what I do - grab the thing with your hands and twist.

(In an Austrian accent) "But if you are a girlie-man dis vill not verk for you".

The metal cap wrench is the way to go. I use a really short 3/8" drive

and you can get right up there for the change. I just unscrew a couple of the 10mm nuts on the splash shield in the corner where the filter is located. Just bend it back and you can save yourself the hassle of taking the whole thing off every time.

monarch,

I tried this but it didn't work.

lexus400,

That's what I did last time-- I unscrewd only two of the nuts, but ended up changing the oil only :(

silvermate,

I always drive my car before changing the oil which makes the filter hot to the touch. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I think the oil flows easier when it's hot.

Thanks to everyone.

Jacob

Jacob, with modern detergent oils it is perfectly OK to change oil when it is cold. In fact it is much safer too, because at normal temperatures the oil can cause severe burns. That way you may get a better grip on the filter. Poking a screwdriver through the oil filter body does work, but on the other hand it MUST work, because you aren't driving the car anywhere until it is removed and replaced. Think of it as a last resort.

I always drive my car before changing the oil which makes the filter hot to the touch. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I think the oil flows easier when it's hot.

Yes, Toyota / Lexus service manuals recommend changing the oil hot. Even better yet is to let it drain overnight as you may be surprized at how exceptionally clean the new oil you put in will look if you let the old oil drain overnight. And the new oil will stay clean looking longer.

It is important to buy the correct, perfect fit metal cap wrench or else you won't get a good grip on the filter. But with the proper cap wrench the filter will come off easy every time and you'll never be faced with pounding a screwdriver through the oil filter to get it off.

SRK,

I agree with you on the safety issue, I got burnt last time I changed the oil. Also, almost all of the oil will be in the oil pan when the engine is cold which means more oil getting out of the engine. So, next time, I'm going to change the oil with engine cold, and I'll try to break the filter using my bare hands, and I'll let everybody knows if I'm a girlie man or not :P

Jacob