1000 Miles In 6 Months. Do I Need To....

Geo

OK, we got a ES300 01 about six months ago. Love it. We bought it at just over 45,000 miles on it and we have only put 1000 more. Yes, 1000. My wife uses it for church and shopping (I got the beater). Lexus is asking us to bring it in for its 8 month or 10,000 mile check up. Again we have only put 1000 miles in 6 months.

Questions: It is also "due" for its 45,000 maintanace check. How long can we go before we really should take it in ? It seems to me that taking it in now with such low use/milage would be a "waste" of a check up. Suggestions/ideas ?

Thanks, George

the 10,000 mile check up is only a fluid check, tire rotation and oil and filter change.

Was the 45,000 mile service performed by the previous owner?

Some people feel that low mileage cars should have the oil changed based on time. I have heard at least every 6 months and others say at least every 4 months (I tend to go with 4 months). It would be a toss up to you.

Cars were meant to be driven. Give the beater to the wife for the short runs. You should take the lex at least once per week and get some highway miles on her. This will also help lubricate parts and clean out carbon build up.

steviej

Thanks for the responses.

We bought it just before 45,000 miles and no the check up has not been done. It is a Certified Lezus and when I spoke to a Rep they said hat it had been checked very carefully (not the 45,000 check). Now after six months the car has 1000 miles more on it.

We just got a notice asking for its "Eight month and/or 10,000 mile Interval Maintanance Service". We have not had it eight months and we have not put ten thousand miles on it (?).

As a Certified Lexus we have the extended warranty and obviously don't want to do anything wrong to void it. At the same time I don't want/feel that after only 1000 mile I should bring it in.

Opinions/Ideas/Suggestions ?

George

P.S. My wife the beater ?.... right ! ;)

I agree with the statments about not using the ES as a grocery getter as it will become a beater for such short distances of raw fuel running in it often and distilling inside the engien and componets.

I would not bother with the service just yet ,wait till you have reached the milage marker or 20-30% over on the time interval.

We bought it just before 45,000 miles and no the check up

has not been done.

We just got a notice asking for its "Eight month and/or 10,000 mile Interval Maintanance Service". We have not had it eight months and we have not put ten thousand miles on it (?).

P.S. My wife the beater ?.... right ! ;)

in order of your quote.

1. The 45k sevice is basically tranny fluid drain and fill, air filter and cabin filter replacement, oil and filter, remaining fluid check, tire rotation and some basic inspections/observations. I actually did my own in my driveway for a total cost of about $75.

At least get the oil and filter changed as I stated before. It is 6 months old. Find out when the last tranny drain and fill was done.

I would almost opt to go for the 45k if it were my car so that I would be starting out with the right foot knowing what was done and when. Use this as my new service reference point so-to-speak.

2. those serive statements are computer generated based on the national average of driving 15,000 miles per year. (hence 10k in 8 months). The computer cannot even make a good estimate until you have been logged into the service computer several times with recorded mileage.

3. I did not mean to imply your wife was the beater. I was responding to your comment in the first post of the thread that you get stuck with the beater car.

steviej

In recent years Toyota / Lexus has realized that the former 1 year / 7,500 minimum recommended oil change interval is inadequate and revised the service interval down to 6 months / 5,000 miles.

So follow the 6 months / 5,000 mile rule if you want to protect yourself against the inconvenience and high cost of inexpected & premature repairs.

An infrequently driven car or a car driven short distances can wear prematurely in a number of ways. Like the exhaust system can rot out if the car is frequently driven less than 5 miles and then parked for a day or more. And beware that not running the air conditioning system at least once a month (and preferably once a week) for at least a few minutes could result in premature AC system failures.

Unlike American cars, Toyota /Lexus cars thrive when driven frequently and long distances, IF the required preventive maintenance is performed on time. Numerous Toyota / Lexus owners have driven 300,000 - 600,000 miles without major repairs. On the other hand, owners who infrequently drive their cars and then neglect required preventive maintenance because they don't think its really needed may end up having to deal with unexpected and expensive to fix mechanical failures.