1992 Sc300 5spd Vs. 92 Sc 400

TMaxxTim

I've found 2 cars that I like, one's a SC300 5-spd, the other is a SC400. Both are 92's, the 5spd has 140k, the 400 has 169k. I'm trying to decide which one I would like in the long run better.

I've heard the SC300's don't last as long as the 400's do, just because the V8 engine is built better. I know all Lexus' are good, but is there any truth to this statement?

Also, how does the 5-spd compare to the V8? Iv'e driven an auto sc300 and the sc400, and I LOVED the get up and go on the 400, the 300 felt like it had none. I've driven the 5spd 300, however it was my first time driving a stickshift so I really didn't have a good idea on how to punch it well and shift well to get a good idea of the speed it has. Can anybody help me compare?

I know most people base their decisions on the fact that they will be modding their 300's engine, however I probably won't be. The only reason I'd buy the 300 5spd is just so I can have a manual car.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

i would go with the 400 just because of the engine. but if i were you i would wait and find one with lower miles. i got mine friday for 8 grand and it has 96000 on it. after 150k most cars start to have engine trouble. the last thing you want to do is replace a lexus engine

Both engine's are strong in the ones I test drove. I don't have that much to spend on a car. The SC400 I looked at was priced at $6500 about 4 months ago with 165k, and since then the A/C has stopped working (needs more freon, but there's a leak somewhere).

How far are you willing to travel?

Vector is right high miles are high miles, no matter how well built and taken car of the cars are. Its usally not the engine that breaks but all the things bolted to it (PS pump, Alternator, Starter, Coil, Distributer ect...) all the things add up in repairs.

If you are willing to travel a bit here are some good alternitives:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...or=&cardist=199

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...or=&cardist=199

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...or=&cardist=200

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...or=&cardist=200

Hope this helps you search!! :cheers:

You shouldn't be scared to buy because of high miles if the vehicle appears to be well taken care of. I know plenty of Lexus owners with well over 200,000 miles with excellent performance. Higher mileage usually means a better deal so the money you save initially will hopefully offset any repairs you need to make. Another advantage to purchasing a high mileage vehicle is that usually the typical things that go wrong have already been taken care of. I bought my 93 SC400 for $6000 with 170,000 miles on it. The alternator had just been replaced, battery, ac compressor, heater control valve, rotors, pads and the cornering light on the driver's side. A full service and tune up had been done recently also. We're talking three to four grand in repairs right before I bought it. Had I bought the vehicle with 30,000 less miles I would have had to spend that extra money myself on top of paying more for the vehicle. Lexus' are tough and worth investing in with high mileage so long as they have been taken care of. :D

I think I'll probably end up going with the SC300 5spd. Anybody know how hard it is to replace the leather in the car yourself? I've seen the complete leather kits on eBay for like $600, but anybody have any experience with that? Thats really the only other big problem with this car, worn leather.

Don't do leather off of ebay...you never really know what you'll get.

Go to http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html they have very quality products DESIGNED FOR YOUR CAR. Plus the prices are pretty reasonable.

As for putting it in *shrug* I have no idea, looks like it shouldn't be to hard if you know how to take the seats out of the car.

Actually I think the ones I saw were ordered from these sites, but they didn't install them for one reason or anohter, however for $679 I could get a 2-tone interior...awesome.

I wonder if it really would be that hard to install, I saw a DIY kit for $100 on that website, think its worth it?