Buying Es300 1999

gatech

Hey,

I am getting a deal of buying 1999 ES300 with 82000 miles on it for 12000.

From you experience with ES300, do you think buying it with this *high* miles is a good idea?

Furthermore, am I paying the right price for this car or?

Are ES300's expensive to maintain and do they need alot of maintenance?

Finally, do they give good mileage? I guess its the same engine(VVT-i) till 2003(so anyone with ES300 after 2000 might also help)

I really want to buy that car, but above questions makes me hesitate.

Thank you.

$12K for a '99 ES with 82,000 miles seems a fair price (that equates to roughly 16,000 miles driven per year). Try to go $1,500 to $2,000 lower than the asking price if you can. Never take a car at full face value, and negotiation is the name of the game ;)

Yes, the engine is a VVT-i, the same for all ES from 1999 to current model year. The ES has the best mileage out of all Lexus models, not to mention that it's front-wheel drive. Since the car in question is at 82K miles, you will have to consider the upcoming 90K service when it reaches the mark. This includes replacement of the timing belt (and water pump if so desired), all fluids, tightening of drive mounts, etc. The service is very important to ensure the long life of the ES, hence the most expensive (ranging from $1,500 to $3,000).

Hope I got most of your questions answered :)

Just bought 99 ES with 108K miles for my friend for $9K in Virginia. Exellent condition, all service records from Lexus dealer, 90K and T-belt done. Not sure about prices in GA, but your seems a little high.

search on here and on google for Toyota sludge. It is too big a discussion to fit in one thread.

In a nutshell, Toyota has offered an extended warranty to the owners of cars with the 1MZFE engine, specifically 1997-2001. If the engine oil is left unchanged for long periods of time then the oil can slowly start to turn to a molasis consistancy, aka sludge. This plugs oil passages in the engine block, clogs the oil pump, and gets packed up in the valve cover and around the valves. It creates a major problem and even engine death.

steviej