Lifetime Fuel Filter?

blake918

I just made an appointment at my Lexus dealer to have the fuel filter replaced. The service advisor assured me that I didn't need to because it's good for the life of the car. Hmmm...is it just me or does a lifetime filter sound kind of oxymoronic?? <_< I'm quite doubtful that the filter still performs like it did at 1k miles vs. 235,000 miles. It's only a $120 service, so I'm having them change it anyways as a maintinance precaution. What do you guys think??

:cheers:

Unless you find a reason of low feul pressure then i wouldn;t waste time changing it It is not like a small one for regualr cars it is huge.

Most dealers do not even stock them as they hardly ever get replaced.

I changed mine for a waste of time and $60

I could never find any reference to changing the fuel filter in the maintainance schedule. Changed mine on my 96 LS at around 180,000 out of a guilty conscience and "traditional" thinking. (And after reading several posts about it on this forum).

It's a "wet" job.

The really weird thing is that I couldn't even find it on my 91 LS. It's definitely not just above the rear axle. Previous owner was charged for replacing it at around 60,000 mi, but not by a Lexus dealership, but an independant.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went in for my appointment at 3:30 today, but believe it or not, my Service Advisor talked me out of the service. She said in the 8 years she has worked at this Lexus dealer they have changed maybe 3 or 4 of them, and those cars where for the people that filled them up with DIESEL! :lol: She said the same thing as ebridges...this item is nowhere in the maintinance schedule. Also, I dunno if this is true or not, but she said that pulling on all of those fuel lines to change the filter out can do some serious damage. I said ok...if you insist...you don't want my money...that's fine with me!

Then, she called someone to detail my car before I left...and they did a great job! :o I finally had a really great Lexus dealership serive experience. They opened the door for me when I got there, they immediately copied my license and insurance--they were ready to send me off in a RX330(but the service writer talked me out of the service before I could get the keys! darn!!!), and they detailed my car just for comming in! I love this dealer!! What's weird is the Lexus dealer in NewOrleans that treats me like crap is owned by the same people! <_<

I don't care how big the filter is, or how tough it is to replace. One tank of bad fuel from a rusty underground storage tank, regular, premium, mid-grade, whatever, will plug that filter and leave you high and dry. And then you will change it. It has nothing to do with Lexus - it is about the quality of fuel you put in the tank, and that can vary.

Force your fuel pump to work extra hard for several months to push fuel through a partially blocked filter and you will get to replace the pump too.

My rule is I buy from big, new stations, always the same brand, and if the tanker truck is unloading I drive to the next station. The tanker fuel stirs up the water and crap that exists in the bottom of EVERY underground tank, and puts it into suspension for a short while. So I leave.

My rule is I buy from big, new stations, always the same brand, and if the tanker truck is unloading I drive to the next station. The tanker fuel stirs up the water and crap that exists in the bottom of EVERY underground tank, and puts it into suspension for a short while. So I leave.

I do the same thing SRK :cheers:

Blake,

I had an indep. shop change mine @ 60K for $75 - well worth the money due to the mess. I watched the guy and gas was draining all over :blink: - He did a great job, was careful about the fuel lines, etc. The filter was dirty - and he agreed it was about time. I haven't noticed any difference in the way the LS runs.

Now, you know me, I think any filter & any fluids should be changed out regularly. So I'll probably do this again - but it's only needed every 60K according to my manual.

Every Lexus dealer is different. the fuel filter replacement is part of the 60K service on my vehicle - and the local dealer lists it on the service........I guess it's not everywhere though---------isn't this strange :blink:

I think your okay.............

I wonder if that dealership changed one out and had problems? You know, like the fuel lines busted, the car had more fuel related problems due to the error - cost them a lot of $$$ and time, etc......

I did get my car inspected at the dealer last summer - and had a great experience just like you. Nice waiting room, drank a million pepsi's!!!!, they walked me to the car and gave me the keys - the red carpet for sure!!

I haven't noticed any difference in the way the LS runs.

That's just what I wanted to hear! lol My LS is running 100%-I'm always curious if it can be better though; I was going to have the filter changed just as a preventative measure. All she had to tell me to get me to not do the change was that the older, higher mileage cars that they've changed the filters on have had problems with fuel lines and what not, and with 235k miles on my car, it's probably best that the fuel lines are only tampered with when a serious repair is needed. Also, if I do decide to have them change the filter one day and something goes wrong, it's their responsibility to fix it, right? I know that some of them will get clogged, but my car runs too good to have a clogged filter! I remember SK saying that these filters don't really need to be changed(to someone in the ES div.) plus it was nowhere in their maintinance schedule(I don't know about the repair manual though. I don't have mine with me right now, so I'll check tomorrow), and to have someone working off of comission(that's what she told me. It sounds kinda odd though! I guess she has break in to peoples houses and break their cars so they will come in for service if she's not making her quotas! Haha) not want to sell you their service, it does inspire a little trust! lol

SRK, thanks for the great advice about the gas stations; I've never thought about that, but I do regularly fill up at a brand new Shell station-they have tv's at every pump...pretty cool!

Thank you everyone! :D

Blake,

I purchased a new fuel filter on line about two weeks ago when I bought my stuff to do the wires, distributor cap and rotor and the plugs. I read your post and was a bit dismayed that I would be wasting my time or my money putting it on the car. Well, I had the car in for tire rotation and asked the mechanic what he would charge to stick the filter on for me. He said he would pop it on for free. What a great relief. But to no benefit. 168,000 miles and I can tell no difference with the new filter. Well, I feel better anyway knowing it is clean and unclogged.

Larry

I will be changing mine for sure. Never saw it in the Lexus manual and wondered where it was. I do repair work on cars and trucks and one of the first things I ask when I am going to service the vehicle is "notice any drop in power, accelerating, passing?" I always find a fuel filter that should be replaced when someone says "yes".

If nothing else...I am prolonging the life of the fuel pump by making it work less hard.

If you try to blow through the old filter and notice restriction...replace it.

Mr. Larry, it's great to see that you finally joined us! :D :D I love hearing more and more of these stories that the new fuel filters don't make any improvements! What mechanic do you go to?

Bob, my '95 runs like a top, and the quad cam V8 goes like a bat out of hell at any given second! I too was planning to change it as a maintinance measure, but I didn't when I found out that it wasn't. I checked my Lexus repair manual, and the fuel filter is NOT in the maintinance schedule nor is it in Price LeBlanc's schedule. It took me a while, but I did find the fuel filter removal procedure in the repair manual; they give a lengthy procedure where they want you to take out the back seat-->fuel pump-->filter. I believe it is covered in the fuel pump removal(I don't have the manuals in front of me at the moment.). I don't know if it's just me, but you have to be very creative when you search for some things(other than big topics) in the Lexus repair manual.:wacko:

I'll have to dig around but I will find that sucker. Glad they put one on. Many Dodge vehicles don't have one at all..just the screen in the tank for the fuel pump.

Just thought of something. When I get the old one off (150,000 miles and sure to be original)..then I will cut it apart for all to see on this thread. For the heck of it.

I will cut it apart for all to see on this thread. For the heck of it.

That will be awesome!! :D I believe someone in LOC(but I can't remember who exactly...I believe Agent 99) said the fuel filter is up high, above the differential.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep..searches in the forum revealed that 95's are up high..above differential and to wear my 'gas clothes and goggles."  :o

Blake918 sent me a new fuel filter gathering dust in his garage. :cheers:

Many thanks again. I put it to good use today.

Sitting here in my "gas clothes" smelling like 90 octane :lol: the Lexus fuel filter is quite different than any I have seen. And it's a messy job. Fuel is going to run out as long as there is any left in the tank when changing one of these. So take this job to a mechanic that you don't like.

There is near 5 feet of paper element in this thing. So much area of filtering, perhaps that's why the slogan "lifetime". I suspect this one was original and there was some restriction in it when I blew air through it. Also..some rather brownish stuff came out of it.

4 pictures:

The filter:

Lex_filter1.jpg

Cut open:

filter1.jpg

The paper element:

filter2.jpg

Nearly 5 feet of filtering all in one little can:

filter3.jpg

Toyota cars and pickups also have so called "lifetime" fuel filters. BUT, I changed mine anyway

every 30-60K miles on my '92 pickup and have never experienced any fuel injector clogging or fuel pump failures in 451,000 miles of driving. But I have heard from lots of Toyota pickup and Land Cruiser owners who DID need a new fuel pump and / or their injectors rebuilt after 200-300,000 miles and these owners never changed their fuel filter.

So I figure changing the fuel filter every 60K miles is cheap insurance against potential expensive fuel system problems. And not just the expense of fuel system component replacement, but the huge potential expense of having a fuel system breakdown far from home and far from any Lexus dealer.

In addition, if the fuel injectors do start to become clogged, gas mileage goes down and emissions go up which in turn wears out the expensive EGR valve and catalytic converter prematurely.

So to maintain long term reliability of the whole vehicle for many hundreds of thousands of miles, it is important to keep reasonably clean filters, fluids and lubes in the car at all times.

Toyota cars and pickups also have so called "lifetime" fuel filters. BUT, I changed mine anyway

every 30-60K miles on my '92 pickup and have never experienced any fuel injector clogging or fuel pump failures in 451,000 miles of driving.  But I have heard from lots of Toyota pickup and Land Cruiser owners who DID need a new fuel pump and / or their injectors rebuilt after 200-300,000 miles and these owners never changed their fuel filter.

So I figure changing the fuel filter every 60K miles is cheap insurance against potential expensive fuel system problems. And not just the expense of fuel system component replacement, but the huge potential expense of having a fuel system breakdown far from home and far from any Lexus dealer.

In addition, if the fuel injectors do start to become clogged, gas mileage goes down and emissions go up which in turn wears out the expensive EGR valve and catalytic converter prematurely.

So to maintain long term reliability of the whole vehicle for many hundreds of thousands of miles, it is important to keep reasonably clean filters, fluids and lubes in the car at all times.

Absolutely and I do the same thing. But I got a lot of driving to do for my 91 Toyota pickup to catch ya. I got 144,000 miles.

This is off topic but...have you had brake rotor problems with your 92 Toyota? Mine does. 3rd set of rotors and now these are ready to be turned to get round or thrown away and replaced.

Bob,

Your posts are always great!! 

You know how to DIY -  :cheers:  (and you'll tackle anything)...........

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

Thanks! I am not too typical a Lexus owner I think. I am "Fiat48" most places on the web. Now if I used that name here...everybody would surely wonder! :lol:

But I am a race engine builder, drag car and boat racer and build everything myself. Here's a link to some pictures at the Hot boat forums.

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/showga...user=374&stype=

When you look at some of these things I have and build..you'll see why I want a nice quiet highway vehicle. :D

The Lexus is certainly a different car and I have had a lot of help in fixing the one I have from this forum. I'll always continue to give as much back as I can.

When you look at some of these things I have and build..you'll see why I want a nice quiet highway vehicle.  :D

The Lexus is certainly a different car and I have had a lot of help in fixing the one I have from this forum. I'll always continue to give as much back as I can.

Yea, I hear ya on the Lexus ownership & DIY maintainence...........not many people left that just change their own oil. :unsure:

But that's what's great about LOC :D - most of us do get a little greasy..... :lol:

120$ to replace a fuel filter???????

ouch!

i got a OEM filter for 35$ and changed it for another 20$:) thats a ripoff

and there is no such thing as lifetime fuel filter:)

mine looked exactly like urz.