Terrible Noise From Engine At Startup

gage

i have a 2003 lx 470. this morning i was standing next to it when my wife started it up & it made this terrible grinding noise for a few seconds & then ran smoothly.i guess it my have been the lifters knocking or something.the lx has 16,000 miles on it & has never done this before. it did not smoke during this time. does any one know what happened?

i have a 2003 lx 470. this morning i was standing next to it when my wife started it up & it made this terrible grinding noise for a few seconds & then ran smoothly.i guess it my have been the lifters knocking or something.the lx has 16,000 miles on it & has never done this before. it did not smoke during this time. does any one know what happened?

does anyone have an opinion on the cause of this noise?

can anyone help me out? i'm dying here.

can anyone help me out? i'm dying here.

Hi,

Grinding noise does not sound good. Can it be the pulley tensioner from the belt drive. Or a something else.

If it is the valve train, what kind of oil filter are you using on your LX? Some filters do not have a drain back valve like the toyota filters have? this might be causing the noise you are hearing when you start your truck early in the morning from the valve train. Onother cause is the bypass valve is stuck open on your oil pump causing all the oil to drain back to the oil pan. This is know as dry start. Not good.

Don't want to cause panic here but I suggest you get it check by the dealer asap.

Hope this helps.

Grinding and lifters knocking are different noises in my mind. Comments on which one it is?

I also have lifter noise when first start up and want the dealer to look at it soon. Ticks for few minutes and then is gone. Oil is good and new, sometimes worse than others. Don't mean to steal you thread, but any comments on lifter tapping?

Grinding and lifters knocking are different noises in my mind. Comments on which one it is?

I also have lifter noise when first start up and want the dealer to look at it soon. Ticks for few minutes and then is gone. Oil is good and new, sometimes worse than others. Don't mean to steal you thread, but any comments on lifter tapping?

i think it kind of sounded like an air jack brake on a semi. i'm pretty sure it was the lifters(or valve mechanism).i think this is a common occasional occurance on these 70,000 dollar vehicles. and hell yes it's under warranty for the next 3 years. this noise has only occured one time. i use the original lexus oil filter w drainback valve.

the noise was a loud rattle that lasted for a few seconds. a rattle,yeah thats the ticket.