Tire Pressure

92Lex

I recently purchased a set of Lexus LS400 16" rims in place of my 15" rims. Went out and had a set of Michelin XGT V4 225/60/16 mounted on them. According to the label in the glovebox, the recommended cold tire inflation is 32psi..but I figured this would be for tires that met OES. The shop that mounted my tires set them at 32psi. Maximum pressure on these tires are 44psi...what should I set them at to get the most out of my tires?

Proper tire pressure has been discussed on this and many other forums. The basic problem seems to be the need for the car manufacturer to use the lower tire pressure to keep the ride soft since the majority of high end car owners opt for cushioned ride over handling as well as tire wear and gas milage. I have an '02 LS430 with 16" Michelins (Pilot Sport A/S Size: 225/60WR16) which were installed as a part of the purchase deal. I run them at 35 lbs rather than the lower pressure recommended by Lexus. So far, I've 30+k on them with even wear. I do rotate and balance and have 4 wheel allignment every 5 or 6 k. The ride is firm and smooth. I also have 16" Michelins on my 1991 Buick Reatta which I run at 35 lbs rather than the lower pressure recommended by Buick; also with 5 - 6 K rotation, balancing, and allignment. And I have a 1977 Excalibur Roadster with 15" Michelins which I run at 35 lbs with the same rotation, balancing and 4 wheel allignment. I get 40+k milage with even wear, firm ride, and good handling on all 3 cars. (both the Buick and Excalibur have had aftermarket stiff shocks/struts installed.) In contrast, one of our previous cars was a 1997 Cadillac Catera which ate up tires (Goodyear and Michelin) despite regular (6k rotation, balancing, and allignment) since the car wouldn't stay alligned. Cadillac bought us 2 sets of tires before we finally unloaded it. The '97 and early '98 Catera's were notorious for being problem cars. They handled great when they ran, were well appointed, comfortable, and quite roomy for a mid-sized car. The best thing about it was that since my wife chose that one, I got to choose its replacement; and now we're both completely spoiled in the LS430.

To finally answer your question: I'd run at least 35 lbs (cold), watch the wear pattern and adjust the pressure as indicated. Too low a pressure wears tires on both the outer and inner edges of the tread; too high a pressure wears in the middle or "crown" of the tread. The Michelin website (and other tire companies' sites) has a good discussion on proper tire pressure, wear, handling, etc. And yes, I know you got more info than you asked for, but I did get carried away.

Thanks. I did do a lot of searching on this topic but was not able to come up with a sure answer to my question. Max pressure on the sidewall said 44psi so I was just afraid of underinflation as no minimum was stated. I was just curious as to if anyone has these same tires on their car and what psi they dialed it in to. Thanks though.

yeah i also put OE 16"s on my car in place of the OE15's..........

i try to keep mine at or around 32 PSI.

BTW.......which OE 16's did you get?

makes a Gen 1 look 100% better with the newer wheels........those stock 15's are horrible looking :huh:

I have the same ones you have on yours right there...haha. I agree, it does look if not 100% then 200% better. Its on a diamond white 91.

In both my LS and ES, I air their tires up to the maximum pressure stated on the side wall which is 44psi. My LS rides on Michelin MXV4 energys(I love these tires!)-225/60/16, and the ES is on the dreaded Bridge RE92's. Despite what everyone says, my tires wear beautifully-never any uneaveness in wear, never had a blow out, and the ride is Lexus like in every way. B) You got some new rims for the 'ole "commuter?!?!?!" :D You certainly made a hell of a find on your new cars. Great Work!!! ;)

:cheers:

No harsh ride at all blake?  :blink:

No sir! I've tried them at 35psi before, and I couldn't find a noticable ride improvement imo. Maybe you are more sensitive to that than me! ;) I find that both of my cars track straighter on the road which is my primary reason for airing them up. Plus, I do a lot of driving, so anywhere I can improve my fuel econ, I do so!

92, your seats look excellent. Did the previous owner have them recovered??...they just look that good! ;) Your car looks great with the 98/00 rims! I've kind of been going back and forth about whether or not I want the 98/00 rims on my '95...I can't decide though

• 1 month later...

Had my 91 LS since Thur and just took the car for its first petrol fill. Decided to check the tyre pressures as I'm anal about getting even wear and subsequent extended mileage from the tyres. The previous owner had the pressures sitting at 42psi!!! I lower the pressure to 34psi and the ride was not really much softer, but I am weary of wearing out the middle of the tyre prematurely at high pressures.

Had my 91 LS since Thur and just took the car for its first petrol fill.  Decided to check the tyre pressures as I'm anal about getting even wear and subsequent extended mileage from the tyres.  The previous owner had the pressures sitting at 42psi!!!  I lower the pressure to 34psi and the ride was not really much softer, but I am weary of wearing out the middle of the tyre prematurely at high pressures.

For sure 42 is way to hight. For some reason some people air up their tires to the max pressure listed on the sidewall. Maybe that's ok for maximum load carrying, but it's surely not for daily driving. 34 local and maybe 36PSI for long trips should be fine.

For sure 42 is way to hight. For some reason some people air up their tires to the max pressure listed on the sidewall. Maybe that's ok for maximum load carrying, but it's surely not for daily driving. 34 local and maybe 36PSI for long trips should be fine.

Agreed.......I can't see one getting even wear with the pressure set at 40+ psi on light loads. However, some members have done it & still are saying that their tires are wearing evenly with no problems.....perhaps time will tell. :huh: