Question Can You Go Back To Regular Oil After Syn

molocka12

Question can you go back to regular oil after using synthetic?

Trying to settle a dispute between me & a friend.

My friend claims once you use synthetic oil you must stay with synthetic oil is this true or false?

I my self do not know the answer but in keeping with tradition I take the opposite side of his opinions if for nothing else just to p-ss him off. {what are friends for}

:pirate:

• 2 weeks later...
Question can you go back to regular oil after using synthetic?

Trying to settle a dispute between me & a friend.

Who would you and your friend consider the ultimate authorities on the subject? American mechanics? American lube authorities? The moderators and administrations on this forum? Or those little 5 foot 4 inch men with thick glasses and buldging brains back in Japan who designed the most reliable and durable automobiles in the world?

On Lexus's website there is a huge 318 question Owner FAQ which reflects the car care advice of the Lexus engineers. Here is one FAQ question and answer about synthetic oil:

Use of Synthetic Engine Oil

Question: Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Lexus's Official Answer: Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle.

If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

You can switch back but gain nothign but a few cents now but usually will pay for it later in wear.

It won't cause any extra detremental effects as synthetic is only a type of filtering of oil it is not a synthetic oil just a process to remove impurities.

• 3 months later...

yes you can return to (dyno) organic oil after synth

the main use/purpose in using synth oil is that it is much more resistant to thermal breakdown that organic oil. synth oil holds up much better to higher temps than dyno oil....such as race, turbo and heavy load applications.....esp in turbocharged apps....if you dont fall into these catagories then you should be fine with dyno oil and do not require synth oil.

regards,

terry

Believe it or not, all motor oils must be compatable and interchangable. This is because the government buys oils at bids. And so other than the different weights, any oil must be able to go into any government vehicle and mix with or replace what has been used. So yes, you can "go back".

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of really good information on Amsoil's website on all the different properties of oils and how they compare. Actually I work beside a plant that makes true synthetic oil and refining is my career. Motor oils are chain hydrocarbons, Refining fossil fuels to extract the correct length chain for motor lubrication is the traditional method of manufacture. The trouble is that distillation does not yield an absolutely pure specific chain length, In fact there is a small portion of very heavy oils up to and including tars and asphaltenes. This is one reason for the darker color of this type of motor oil. Synthetic oils are typically manufactured by using natural gas which is a mix of 2 and 1 carbon molecules. Using a catalytic process the molecules are reacted to combine into longer chains and making very pure, very specific chain lengths. They make anything from oil well drilling lubricants and soap additives with some of the longer ones to feedstock for synthetic motor oils for shorter ones. Where I work next door we use one product as a feed for making polyethylene plastic. I understand there is now a very different technology for making synthetic oil but I am not sure what that is yet. Anyway making a short story long, the lack of all the tars and heavy ends is why the lubrication is far better and engines run cooler on synthetic. It is also a reason why some people experience seal leakage when they make the switch on a vehicle with more miles on it. The synthetic is merely cleaning the dirt from the worn seals. As for switching back it is not a problem at all just a step down in quality.

The Lexus engineers say "Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil."

So what do the 18-30 year olds here do? They extend oil changes when using synthetic and then if money becomes tight they switch back to dino oil. Kids will be kids.

The Lexus engineers say "Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil." 

So what do the 18-30 year olds here do?  They extend oil changes when using synthetic and then if money becomes tight they switch back to dino oil.  Kids will be kids.

so...what makes you think this site is filled only with 18-30 year-olds?

I use Mobil 1 full synth in both my LX 450s. Haven't had a need to switch back to dino. My maintenance schedule is the same with synth as it would be for dino.

You're quoting Lexus engineers...what's the source for your quote? I'd like to read where Lexus engineers made that statement.

You're quoting Lexus engineers...what's the source for your quote?  I'd like to read where Lexus engineers made that statement.

On Lexus's website there is a huge 318 question Owner FAQ which reflects the car care advice of the Lexus engineers. Here is one FAQ question and answer about synthetic oil:

""Use of Synthetic Engine Oil

Question: Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Lexus's Official Answer: Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle.

If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil."