Any Recommendations In Changing Timing Belt?

npcomplete

Hello members,

I have '95 LS400; 93k miles; willing to change the timing belt. After gone through many timing belt changing forums, I've realized that it's quite pain in the butt to change it by myself (plus I dont' have much mechanical experience... :P ). So, I'm thinking about to go to Lexus dealer in town and let them to take care of my timing belt. I've also thought that it would be much better if I could replace my other old parts while changing the timing belt. Please provide me with following questions.

1. What EXACT other parts can be replaced when chainging timing belt?

What are its approx. prices?

2. Shall I wait till 100k to change timing belt?

3. Would you recommend to go to Lexus dealers or do it by myself?

Once again, thank you members and your recommendations will mean so much to me. Thanks. :D

yeah now would be a good time to do it.......definately don't try to DIY a timing belt chang if you don't have much mechanical experience like you mentioned, its a fairly big job

1) water pump/ don't know prices/ check irontoad.com for parts

2) now is as good a time as any with 95K on the motor

3) i would NOT reccomend going to the dealer they will charge out out the Ying Yang for a timing belt change (and everything else for that matter)......research a good certified lexus independent mechanic it will be a LOT cheaper.

B) Hello

I just went through the timing belt routine with my LS400 1990 with 83K so you and I are in about the same space in time.

Upon recommendation of good friends, I changed the water pump and tensioner bearings at the same time. While you are "in there" it is good idea to check out the water pump as it may be getting full of water corrosion. also check out Front crankshaft seals and replace if needed. the tensioners and idle earings are something that get weak and should be checked out while you are "in there".

How much did I pay? Went to our Lexus dealer and paid:

$444 for timing belt change

$175 to replace camshaft and crankshaft seals

$373 for timing belt tensioner and idler bearings and water pumop

I am NOT a mechanic of any kind. Love my Lexus and it purrs like a kitten after doing the above. Lots of money? Yes but look what all is now done for years! And, oh, does the car purr along nicely.

Best of luck to you!

Sincerely

Ron Johnson

1990 LS400 86K

:rolleyes:

Ron, it looks like you got a hell of a deal on the timing belt change-under $1k! My neighborhood Lexus dealer wanted $1500 to change the belt, 2 idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump, so we decided to tackle the project diy.

Having changed my belt a couple weeks ago on my '95, there's not a chance that I'll do it again, but that's just me. All of the parts cost under $300 via Irontoad and Park Place Lexus. I changed my timing belt with about 130,000 miles on it, and it still had a lot of life left in it, so with only 93k on your car, I'd bet your belt still has a while to go before it breaks. If you decide to do it yourself VMF has a top notch write up here: Timing.

:cheers:

I really appreciate your kind advices. Thank you everyone.

Anyways, I went to Lexus dealer shop today and had estimations as follows.

- Changing Timing Belt ($475.00)

- Changing Timing Belt Idler Pulley

($485.00)

- Changing Timing Belt Idler Pulley

($530)

- Changing Timing Belt Tensioner ($460.00)

- Changing Water Pump ($685.00)

But, if I change all together at once, they said it would cost me $1,250.00.

Hmm... honestly, I still think its too expensive when knowing that it only costs under $410.00 to buy above parts. Difference is ($1,250.00 - $410.00 = $840.00). Labor charge = $840.00. Is it worth it?

What do you think guys. Shall I go for DIY? :)

yeah that is really a HIGH price.....knew it would be :blink:

but that doesn't mean you have to DIY, its a serious job to do

like i said try searching around for a good independent mechanic that is cerfied lexus........the price will in most cases be cut in half......

also to save even more money go ahead and order the parts yourself, that way you can save on the markups shops add to the parts when they are doing the service........

then you're just paying for the labor :cheers:

NPComplete,

While snooping around an indie shop earlier this summer, I overheard a mechanic mention he was doing a LS400 90K service after lunch. Bear in mind, this was a Friday afternoon..........so the car would be ready by five o'clock.

Now, usually the 90K service is the t-belt plus all fluids, filters, etc.......

This guy was going to knock it all out in 4 hours (lunch was noon to 1pm).

Now, I don't know for sure this was a full blown t-belt service.........but I got that impression.

Those Idler pulleys & the water pump take a little time (but not much for a pro)---but the timing belt tensioner is total cake (and the dealer knows it).

With all this being said........you could probably save another $200 at a reliable independent shop; But maybe you can find a coupon (10%) online or something to make up the difference. Call around and follow silvermates advice :D

Expensive, YES! But over 5 years or so its not so bad. Plus No Stress for you!

You'll also need some serious tools.....most DIY guys take 8-12 hours; so it will take up your weekend for sure.

;) 1250 sounds gross. There must be a way to do everything in the $850 or so area? In any event, unless you are good at mechanics, I would NOT recommend a DIY even if you do save a few bucks. This is probably one of the most important things you can do to your Lexus!

Shop at a Toyota-Lexus Independent ... see what you can do there.

B)

Good Luck and remember this is just part of the cost of owning a Lexus!

Worth it!! :D

Sincdrely,

Ron Johnson

PS: see my above message for what I paid at a full blown LEXUS dealer.

Better than what you are being quoted. :whistles: