Gas Tank Vacuum Pressure Gone...

hammer008

For the longest time, when I opened the gas cap, I can hear some pressure/vacuum...recently, I have not heard any. I am afraid that there may be a leak since the pipe leading to the gas tank is heavilly rusted. I am unable to smell any gas though.

1. Is the lack of gas tank vacuum normal after driving a full tank?

2. Anyone know where I can get a pipe that leads to the gas tank for cheap.

I hear the noise on when unscrewing the cap every once in a while but not all the time. Do you or have you had any warning lights come on on your dashboard or notice any change in the way the car drives? B)

:cheers:

Did the lack of Vaccuum sound only happen once or hs it happened multiple times?

If it has only happened on it is possible that the cap was not screwed on tightly or that the rubber seal gasket has rotted away or was not in tight connection.

As Lexusfreak mentioned , on occassion the Check Engine Light will come on if the fuel cap is not on tight.

If it is the pipe, you could try the salvage yard for a cheap replacement. However, if the pipe is rusted, you could potentially have other rust issues you may need to deal with.

It pretty much sounds like there is no problem hammer. If your check engine light (or any other warning light related to your concern) isn't on & the car is running fine.....I am leaning towards saying you have nothing to worry about. Sometimes the vacuum pressure is fine but the type of weather outside or even temperature has more to do with the sound we hear more so than if there might be something wrong with the gas cap. just my 2 cents. B)

:cheers:

You will ehar the vacume leakage when you are running the engine hard before stopping or it is very hot outside.

It has been coller here for a while so that may be a good reason.

If you were to get a leak it would be from an old gas cap which is checked at every emmision test.

So their is nothing to worry about.