Replacing O2 Sensor

harrison

I have a 99 rx300 with 92K miles. The check engine light just came on. I did fill up at a gas station that I usually don't use a few days ago. Auto zone says the diag. code is P1133. I believe this means the bank 1 sensor 1 is bad. Where is it located? Should I replace it right away or try cleaning mass air flow sensor or run a few more tanks of good gas through it? Will I cause damage by not replacing it right away?

We had to replace the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (also called the Bank 1 Sensor) in my wife's 2000 RX300 a few weeks ago at about 68,500 miles. This particular sensor is located on the back side of the engine close to the firewall. It is cylindrical in shape and silver in color. It must be accessed from underneath the vehicle.

Our trouble codes pointing to this particular sensor were P01130 and P01135.

If your problem truly is with the Bank 1 Sensor, then cleaning your Mass Air Flow Sensor will not correct your problem.

You are in no imminent danger of doing any damage at this point by allowing the "Check Engine" light to remain on and attempting to solve your problem initially by cycling a couple of fresh tanks of gas through your vehicle's system. I would add some fuel injection cleaner/gas treatment as well.

If you decide to tackle this problem yourself after narrowing down the diagnosis, go to oxygensensors.com to learn more and possibly obtain the part required.