2000 Lexus Ls400

Happs

Hello,

I've been very happy with my 1995 Acura Legend but it's starting to look a little dated in the realm of luxury vehicles and I'd like something a little newer. 1995 was the last year the Legend was made and it's been an excellent vehicle. I was thinking about replacing it with an RL, but I hear they aren't as well made as the Legend. So browsing through consumer magazines and research online led me to the Lexus LS400. I noticed that 2000 was the last year the LS400 was made before they changed to the LS430. Can I assume that the 2000 model is the most perfected and best year for the LS400? Is the LS430 as good overall as the LS400? I have an appointment in the next few days to go see and drive a one owner dealer serviced private party 2000 LS4000 with 40,000 miles for $28.000, which is right at the private party KBB price/valuation for this vehicle. What is the supply/demand market like for these cars? Do they typically sell for more than KBB, kind of like homes in hot areas of the country?

I agree that $28K might be a bit high but what are the condition and options? I purchased my 2000 LS (one of the last 208 made) almost a year ago for less than $31K from a used car broker who specializes in high end cars. Mine had 38K miles when I bought it which gave me almost a year left on the basic 4-year warranty under which I had about $3,000 of warranty replacements (new Platinum chrome wheels, A/C controls, a few minor items.) Also be aware that it was possible to spend around $10,000 (retail) on options in 2000. Mine has everything except air suspension and Nav which I avoided. How well is the one you are looking at equipted? A co-worker purchased a nicely equipted 99 LS (Nak, HID, S/R) with 69K miles from an independent dealer a few weeks ago for about $20K.

The only LS430's under $30K I've seen around here have had far more than 40K miles and have been completely out the seven year / 70K mile warranty.

The only thing 2000's have over the 99's is "brake assist" and a smaller gas tank!

LinuxFan,

I avoided LS Nav for a variety of reasons.

1. Nav technology changes quickly and I keep cars a long time. The Nav in the 98-00 is hard drive based! The price and frequency of updates is unacceptable. I would not want to have to deal with replacing a Nav unit when it fails on an aging car just to use the radio?

2. I don't like controlling radio functions through a touch screen. It draws my attention away from the road and I consider it unsafe. I don't even dial the phone - even voice dial or speed dial - when driving.

3. I know where I am going most of the time - I've lived here 30 years and I rarely drive the LS on long trips. I fly and rent a car so having Nav in my LS would not help when I travel. I often copy and paste directions into my PDA from Mapquest.

I read last week in a auto industry pub that Nav has one of the lowest returns of any option at resale time. Only 14% - 25% after three years depending on car model.

I really do think Nav is a lot of fun and an in-dash Nav might be useful if I lived somewhere like NY city or didn't have a good sense of direction. And I am considering buying a Bluetooth Nav unit for my Dell Axum PDA to use when I travel.

Happs,

2000 LS is a very good Gen III vehicle.......

I think the LS does bring a little more of a premium price. Like 1990LS stated, its just a little high - but then it may be in PERFECT condition.....40K miles if very low and that's what your paying for.

I too, passed on the nav. I thought it was a little to much like the old "pong" video game. It is more valuable to traveling sales calls, esp. in big cities....

You will LOVE the ls compared to the acura RL - there is no contest!

Certainly look for CPO vehicles from Lexus dealers before paying similar money for a car with no Lexus backing. (3yrs or up to 100,000 odometer miles same as new car warranty.) I paid $27k for a '99 five months ago; with the cpo warranty you get a huge dose of peace of mind for 2-3 years. At least it'll be mostly paid for by then. It's already provided me with a replacement stereo head unit when some of the lcd segments died on mine.

I might have bought the same car for $24k private or from a non-Lexus dealer, but Lexus Financial came through with an interest rate half what I would have been able to get anywhere else. Between the finance savings and a few incidents like the radio, I figure I'm coming out about the same as buying private for less, just with more peace of mind.

If you're not borrowing to buy, or your credit is a lot better than mine, the advantage will be smaller but still worth considering!

Bob

I might have bought the same car for $24k private or from a non-Lexus dealer

In the part of California I live in, I should add. Elsewhere you might snag one for less, both private and at the dealer!

Thanks for a complete response on th nav system... you now have me second guessing my desire for a 98, which is pretty much based on a desire for a nav.

I will drive/play with a 98+ first. After that, I might start looking for something else.

thanks a million.:-D