Need Advice For Buying

Johnboy

I am considering buying a 1999 RX 300 with 120,000 miles on it for $14,600.00 that has the service records on it and I have some reliability concerns. Are Lexus' as reliable as toyotas? Ionly ask because I also own a toyota truck that I bought with 120,000 miles on it and now have 230,000 on it. My question is: what is the lifespan of an older RX with high miles on it? Should I buy this car or run like heck??? Thanks for the advice.--Johnboy

RX transmissions are a well-known weakness in the Lexus line-up. If you can't document transmission fluid changes every 30,000 miles using ONLY Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid, you'll be driving a time bomb. Keep in mind that Lexus wants about $7,000 for a new (rebuilt) transmission.

As with any used vehicle, oil and filter changes are also critical. If you can't document oil and filter changes every 5,000 to 7,500 miles, you could be facing the well-known Lexus engine sludge (also known as "gel") problem.

Do keep in mind that any vehicle with this many miles on it will be expensive to maintain, even if you can do most of the work yourself. Examples of repairs that you will be facing include timing belt replacement, oxygen sensors failure, cracked exhaust manifold, water pump failure, radiator problems, etc.

Spend some time reading some of the posts on this forum that pertain to older RX purchases, particularly those that describe transmission failures.

My personal advice is simply this: I wouldn't even consider buying the RX300 you described....

Yeah, I agree. Even the most loyal Lexus owners say you can 150k miles on an engine without problems but after that they can get expensive. I think you can get a CPO with less than half the miles for around 19k for that year model. It's a little more but at least you know you'll be covered if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I agree.  Even the most loyal Lexus owners say you can 150k miles on an engine without problems but after that they can get expensive.  I think you can get a CPO with less than half the miles for around 19k for that year model.  It's a little more but at least you know you'll be covered if something goes wrong.

Thanks for your wisdom. I called our local Lexus Dealership and spoke to the service manager who said that as long as the records indicate regular scheduled service I would be okay. Granted, if I were to buy it and it broke down that is where I'd be going. I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a Camry or Accord with those miles. It's just that Lexus' are much more expensive to service. Thanks...

Johnboy:

Rocketman's got the best advice...you can buy the high-mileage $14K RX and risk putting $7K toward a new tranny, or buy a CPO 99 or 00 with OVER half the miles for about that same price ($21K). Even then, service records are a must. I'm personally one of those on the forum who can attest to the "oil sludge" issue. My 00 developed it less than a month after I bought it this past July. Luckily, Lexus (through Toyota) will replace the engine up to 8 years after the car was originally bought; CPO or not. Still, you should tread lightly here...

Service records & driving style of the prior owner mean everything because extensive preventive maintenance service records + gentle one owner driver = little mechanical wear = car that could still be reliable for 100,000+ more miles. Usually such prime cars are sold by private parties, not dealers. Such cars don't need any warranty because nothing serious is likely to go wrong with them.

Unfortunately the typical used car buyer thinks a warranty is more important than service records so they fall into the "Certified Pre-Owned Lexus" trap and don't bother reviewing service records in great detail. Instead, they pay a premium price for a CPO Lexus that could actually have alot of mechanical wear and tear and be

extremely costly to keep running in the long run.

Service records & driving style of the prior owner mean everything because extensive preventive maintenance service records + gentle one owner driver = little mechanical wear = car that could still be reliable for 100,000+ more miles. Usually such prime cars are sold by private parties, not dealers. Such cars don't need any warranty because nothing serious is likely to go wrong with them.

Unfortunately the typical used car buyer thinks a warranty is more important than service records so they fall into the "Certified Pre-Owned Lexus" trap and don't bother reviewing service records in great detail. Instead, they pay a premium price for a CPO Lexus that could actually have alot of mechanical wear and tear and be

extremely costly to keep running in the long run.

Guilty as charged...

Monarch, what would you do? The car has three pages of service records for oil changes and other regular services (according to the service codes.) It runs smooth and shifts perfectly. I could get it checked out for $100 at the dealership. One owner...Is there anyway to discover the slude problem or transmission integrity before purchasing as these seem to be the most major and costly? Seems like a Lexus should be more sound than a Toyota as it is their premium product. Buy or no-buy? Any thoughts?

I am considering buying a 1999 RX 300 with 120,000 miles on it for $14,600.00 that has the service records on it and I have some reliability concerns. Are Lexus' as reliable as toyotas? Ionly ask because I also own a toyota truck that I bought with 120,000 miles on it and now have 230,000 on it. My question is: what is the lifespan of an older RX with high miles on it? Should I buy this car or run like heck??? Thanks for the advice.--Johnboy

WOW 120k in 5 years! :blink: that's a lot of mileage for a 5 year old car! as a former rx300 owner, i'm not sure if it's gonna be good (especially u duno how the previous owner REALLY used the car). ;)

Seems like a Lexus should be more sound than a Toyota as it is their premium product. Buy or no-buy? Any thoughts?

very true BUT Lexus places more complicated computers and gizmos that in the long term, might not work. unlike a regular toyota or non-luxury car, they don't have all the power this, power that, no display screen, etc.. so chances of things breaking in the vehicle is less.

I think I've gotta agree with most the people in this thread. It's got some

higher mileage at 120K for a 5 year-old vehicle. My best thought might be to

look around, see you can find a well-maintained and cared for off-lease

vehicle with lower mileage. Obviously, it will cost you more, but the likelihood

of costly repairs shortly after buying it should be some Peace of Mind.

I think RX in NC is right.......... move on, something better is out there.

PharmGuy

A car with over 100,000 miles can be a smart purchase, but IMHO its not a $14,000 purchase. You can buy MANY much lower mileage cars for $14,000.

Now it is true that these cars can last a long time, well into 200-250,000 miles BUT that doesn't mean that they're going to be maintenance free like new. Little things that are really wear items when you get into that kind of mileage will pop up here and there, not to mention extra electrical problems like dens mentioned.

As for cost of maintenance well it can be much higher than something like a Camry if you use the dealer, or much lower if you use an independent shop.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a 99RX w/95K miles for 12,500 .. I suggest haggle the price and really review the 3 pages of service ..

full 30k , 60k , 90k service ..

some people (like me) only pay for part of the service. I do most of the maint myself so I know it is done right .. Just because it is a Lexus don't stop going to Toyota .. It is the same engine as the higlander .. and I go to Toyota for parts .. Lexus wants a good 50% for the same parts.

Good luck on your decision

I have a different take on the mileage - if someone's running 24K a year on a car, chances are, most of those are highway miles. Those are easier on a car by a long shot than city mileage.

My wife drives her 330 10K a year in city, I drive 20K a year on the highway (Ford Focus). At 93K, I am still on my original brakes, clutch, etc. Will she be? I doubt it.

All miles are not driven equally.

Sorry to jump in on this so late in the discussion. I did purchase a 99 rx300 with 113,000 miles on it. It was lexus certified at 35K and had service records since day one. I spent around $2,000 at my local shop to give the car it's 120K mile check up which included everything the dealer would preform and then some. They went through everything in the car from timing belts to tune up to brakes and transmission service. All filters the water pump, tire rotation and alignment was replaced or serviced. The car looks and runs perfect and I do not expect any major problems with it for years to come. In fact the car still smells new. Basic maint OK which since the 120k service has been nill. If you like the vehicle and feel comfortable about taking a chance with it, go for it but try to get the price down a bit. I paid $12,500 for mine a year a go. I upgraded the tail lights and add a spoiler and chrome wheels. It has been one of the nicest cars I ever owned.

lexus is the most reliable car type on the road in my opinion...toyota makes lexus, its just that lexus is more luxurious than toyota..and has different models..i wouldn't suggest getting the 99 rx300 because it was the first generation and something's bound to go wrong, but if i had to pick between a 1st generation lexus and another car..it'd be the lexus...i own a 2003 rx300 and i havent had 1 problem with it...it has 40 k miles on it and baby it all the way..if u get a 99 rx its dependibility all depends on the prior user of the veichle, but with a lexus no prob......