Buying Mercedes, But May Keep Lexus Too....

90LS400Lexus

As many of you know, I have been considering my LS400, for something more economical, even though my LS get about 375-450 per tank (in town). I want something easier to maintain and not quite as much of an investment as my LS.

I have found a 1981 Mercedes 300SD turbo diesel that I think I have decided to buy this week. This year model is the same as the 1985 300SD, that has the "way ahead of its time" body style. Now, I know that parts are very expensive for these cars, BUT, they are very easy to work on and maintain, and get much better MPG, being a diesel and throughout most of the year, diesel is much cheaper. It is a little higher in the winter, but in the spring and summer, it is about .20-.30 cents cheaper per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline. Unlike my LS400, it does not require the removal of the manifold if the starter goes out (hopefully the one on my LS will not for a long time), nor does so much of the front of the engine have to be removed to change the water pump (not that my car needs any of this now). Another good thing is that this car is priced much less than my LS was, so I will initially not have as much invested in it. It needs a A/C compressor ($300), vs. the $800 for the new evaporator my LS400 needs. Another good thing about the Mercedes is that it is an original northern Florida and southern Georgia car, so it has not been driven in snow and it is 100% rust free and the interior is excellent.

The first owner drove it 37K miles, second owner drove it from 37K to 198K. Third owner put about 40K on it. He is selling it because he bought a new Mercedes and no need for this one. It has ALL of the service records since new, including a detailed service journal that the 2nd owner from 37K to 198K kept on the car.

So... I may keep the LS400, to be sure this Mercedes is what I want to be my daily driver, then I MAY sell the LS400. Even if the Mercedes is a super car, I may still keep the LS400, until I decide buy a newer LS400.

Either way- I will still be around the forums here- the folks here are great and have helped me a lot with my LS400.

Here is a photo of the Mercedes I may soon own.

*The car has a slight color difference here, because the rear 1/2 of the car is not waxed in this photo*:whistles:

post-4-1094089895.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My simple advice is to not buy the Mercedes. My reasons are: at that mileage the compression may be dropping off, and the engine may prove difficult to start. The cure is an overhaul. Pistons are SO expensive that in most cases these engines are bored to accept a sleeve, and the pistons re-used.

They are great looking cars, but the brakes are WAY undersized and make the early LS brakes seem like racecar parts. Get this - the sway bars rust out on the front. That means nearly ten hours of labour just to get them out.

The transmissions fail quite frequently. The climate controls pack up. The evaporators crack.

I have always lusted after the mid eighties S class Benzes. I have owned two earlier S-classes and loved them. But then I talked to people that fix them. And I bought an LS400.......

Compression

Get this - the sway bars rust out on the front.  That means nearly ten hours of labour just to get them out.

I have owned two earlier S-classes and loved them.

Thanks for the advice. According to the owner, he had a certified Mercedes tech check the car over and the compression on the engine is very good. Actually the 2nd owner was independent mechanic that worked on Mercedes- so I am hoping it is OK in this area.

Do the sway bars even rust out on these cars that have always in the deep south, as well as garaged? This car was in northern Florida from 1981-2002 and in southern Georgia from 2002-current. Not heard tell of that on cars here in Tennessee either. Perhaps you are referring to northern cars? I have seen these cars that are up north, that are listed on E-Bay that are rusted quite badly.

What years/models was your Mercedes?

My uncle has owned several Mercedes (including diesels) and he has also warned me of the problems. I have also been trying to learn of the trouble spots on these cars on a very active Mercedes website. You are right about everything you mentioned.

My father owned a 1985 380SE and a 1989 420SEL in the 1980s. As mentioned, the transmissions fail, as well as climate controls, electric windows, power steering pumps (in earlier W126s) and the self levelling rear shocks will also need replacing.

Still my favourite Mercedes shape, and imo so much better than the pig ugly W140 S Class that replaced it.

If you haven't checked already, this page has some good info you may find usefull :

http://home.concepts.nl/~vlimmere/index2.HTM

After buying (2 used and 1 new) and driving three Mercedes through most of the time from the late 60's until 1990 when I bought my first LS, I'd suggest that you lie down until the feeling passes.

OK, my first Mercedes was a '56 190SL dog with 150,000 miles (my teenage mistake!) and I kept it until 1973 until it had almost 300,000 miles. It was a complete disaster - I didn't know that many things could break on a car.

The second one was a a beautiful '73 450SEL which I sold in 1979 at 150,000 miles. It had excellent care by both the original owner and me but it had turned into an incredibly expensive disaster. I'm glad the sump held over 10 quarts of oil because it burned so much oil between changes - at least one quart at every gas tank fillup. What an oil burner. And all sorts of interior parts - mainly heating and AC controls and motors - were breaking.

So, I thought if I would buy a new Mercedes, all would be better. Driving a new 1979 240 Diesel off the showroom floor in the middle of the 2nd big oil crisis (the Iranians had just taken the hostages) with gas prices soaring, I felt pretty good. I should have known it would be bad when the radio failed and the dome light housing broke and fell into my lap during the first week. The next 10 1/2 years and 210,000 miles were awful. Changing the fluids aggressively and babying the car made no difference.

The first diesel engine failed (low compression in two cylinders) at 140,000 miles). I thought that was unusual until I saw documentation that, not only was this typical, but that Mercedes view was that their diesel and gas engines have the same life span - and a very short one at that. I had the dealer replace the original engine with a factory rebuilt, caged engine (not just reconditioned - completely rebuilt) and the rebuilt engine lasted only about 20,000 miles. The 2nd engine was replaced under warranty at about 160K and the car limped along until I sold it at 210K. And things kept breaking. I was constantly replacing interior parts because of shoddy design and poor construction. And the drivers seat literally collapsed at about 150,000 miles - and I weight only about 150 pounds!

Then I bought an LS in 1990. What a wonderful relief!!! Virtually no problems for 120,000 miles. Still wonderful when I sold it last year at 183,500 miles. And the new owner says it is doing quite well at around 200,000 miles.

Not knowing about my horrible Mercedes experiences, a friend of mine bought an E320 in 1994. He takes wonderful care of it (it looks flawless), spares no expense, and has driven it only about 75,000 miles. But he can hardly keep it running and the dealer and other repair shops can't figure out what is wrong. It is sad. And of course, like most Mercedes, it has an almost useless air conditioning system and is very unpleasant in the summer.

Last time I read the European J.D. Powers survey, Mercedes had sunk to 11th in owner satisfaction. Guess who is number 1 ... That would be Lexus.

My opinion is that the only thing worse that a new Mercedes (if you don't count Yugos and Fiats) is an old Mercedes. Well I guess that was quite a rant!

My father owned a 1985 380SE and a 1989 420SEL in the 1980s. As mentioned, the transmissions fail, as well as climate controls, electric windows, power steering pumps (in earlier W126s) and the self levelling rear shocks will also need replacing.

Still my favourite Mercedes shape, and imo so much better than the pig ugly W140 S Class that replaced it.

If you haven't checked already, this page has some good info you may find usefull :

http://home.concepts.nl/~vlimmere/index2.HTM

Thanks for that link. It is most interesting. Luckily, this 81 300SD does not have the air suspension- it is the standard shocks. I know these cars have a lot of trouble spots, but they are easy to work on, according to other owners of the 1981-1985 (especially diesel models) S-Class sedans. There are a couple of independent Mercedes repair shops here locally that does good work at reasonable rates, so that is a plus. This car already has the rear power window problem, so that will be in the first work of order- but not a big deal- Lexus has this problem as well. My FR door window takes excessive pressure at times to get it to work- at either switch. suspension/steering was better built.

For the very small price that the owner is asking for this car, I think it would make the perfect "get to work cheaply" car.

The perfect get to work cheaply car is a Toyota Corolla or some such. Not a 4000 pound Mercedes sled with a smelly, rattly, underpowered stone of an engine. I don't know who told you they are easy to work on, but they ain't.

It is beginning to sound like you have already bought the car. I hope not.

My two were a 1972 280 SE 4.5 (one year of production and consequent parts price increase....) a very classy and good looking car. Sort of like a small version of the 600 limo, and a 1962 220Sb, which was a beautiful original paint show winner. Both were amazing cars, but I feared any major problem simply because I would be financially unable to repair it. The exhaust system for the 4.5 was over $900.00 fifteen years ago! And it had to be welded in - no clamps.

After buying (2 used and 1 new) and driving three Mercedes through most of the time from the late 60's until 1990 when I bought my first LS, I'd suggest that you lie down until the feeling passes.

OK, my first Mercedes was a '56 190SL dog with 150,000 miles (my teenage mistake!) and I kept it until 1973 until it had almost 300,000 miles. It was a complete disaster - I didn't know that many things could break on a car.

The second one was a a beautiful '73 450SEL which I sold in 1979 at 150,000 miles. It had excellent care by both the original owner and me but it had turned into an incredibly expensive disaster. I'm glad the sump held over 10 quarts of oil because it burned so much oil between changes - at least one quart at every gas tank fillup. What an oil burner. And all sorts of interior parts - mainly heating and AC controls and motors - were breaking.

So, I thought if I would buy a new Mercedes, all would be better. Driving a new 1979 240 Diesel off the showroom floor in the middle of the 2nd big oil crisis (the Iranians had just taken the hostages) with gas prices soaring, I felt pretty good. I should have known it would be bad when the radio failed and the dome light housing broke and fell into my lap during the first week. The next 10 1/2 years and 210,000 miles were awful. Changing the fluids aggressively and babying the car made no difference.

The first diesel engine failed (low compression in two cylinders) at 140,000 miles). I thought that was unusual until I saw documentation that, not only was this typical, but that Mercedes view was that their diesel and gas engines have the same life span - and a very short one at that. I had the dealer replace the original engine with a factory rebuilt, caged engine (not just reconditioned - completely rebuilt) and the rebuilt engine lasted only about 20,000 miles. The 2nd engine was replaced under warranty at about 160K and the car limped along until I sold it at 210K. And things kept breaking. I was constantly replacing interior parts because of shoddy design and poor construction. And the drivers seat literally collapsed at about 150,000 miles - and I weight only about 150 pounds!

Then I bought an LS in 1990. What a wonderful relief!!! Virtually no problems for 120,000 miles. Still wonderful when I sold it last year at 183,500 miles. And the new owner says it is doing quite well at around 200,000 miles.

Not knowing about my horrible Mercedes experiences, a friend of mine bought an E320 in 1994. He takes wonderful care of it (it looks flawless), spares no expense, and has driven it only about 75,000 miles. But he can hardly keep it running and the dealer and other repair shops can't figure out what is wrong. It is sad. And of course, like most Mercedes, it has an almost useless air conditioning system and is very unpleasant in the summer.

Last time I read the European J.D. Powers survey, Mercedes had sunk to 11th in owner satisfaction. Guess who is number 1 ... That would be Lexus.

My opinion is that the only thing worse that a new Mercedes (if you don't count Yugos and Fiats) is an old Mercedes. Well I guess that was quite a rant!

Thanks 90- good information. That 56' you mentioned you had would now be worth a fortune. What a classic! The 1973 450SEL are very nice looking cars, but you are right- they have lots of problems. There is one here locally in VGC for $900, but I am steering clear of it. The early 80s diesels are far more reliable. I am amazed that your 79 240D was such a poor car. Typically, the 240s are the most bulletproof of any Mercedes, even if it was the entry level model from 1974-1983. My uncle had a 1981 240D, that had 544K miles on it, in perfect running order when he sold it. I frequently visit the Mercedes sites similar to this one and there are several owners there with 240D's with well over 400K miles and the only complaints seem to be LOW power on the 240's. Perhaps you had a lemon? One individual on there has a 83 240D, with 762K miles- all original. I think that the 81-83 models had a higher build quality however. I am not saying they are perfect cars- they are far from it, but many you see have several hundred thousand miles.

Still - for the 1990s (1990-2004) Lexus reliability is superior to ANY car make.

What great posts concerning an additional/replacement automobile. I guess I'm a little different-

After having a few problems with my '94 LS400 with 105K miles, nothing major, I went looking today for a backup car-Nothing special, just something to keep me on the road. I found, for about 5 to 8G, lots of acceptable cars-Hondas, Toyotas,-you name it. I guess my problem is that you seem to want to replace or replicate your Lexus with another classic used auto-Mercedes and the like-Why not drive the Lexus until it's too expensive to repair-and dump it-while at least having a "beater" or something else to drive for backup?

I remember when a dealer told me in 1998 that the brake system was destroyed on my '94 Dodge truck, and he said that it would cost 2G minimum to repair it. I told him I'd leave it in the desert before I'd pay that ransom. So I drove the girlfriend's Hyundai for 2 months until I found a brake guy who replaced the master cylinder and blew out the lines-for $275. Then I traded the Dodge for another car.

I'm going to buy a backup car this weekend. Won't register or insure it. Play with it. While I putt around in the Lexus. If the Lexus blows the trannie-or the power steering predictably fails-no problem-I'll drive the little used car-while I think about what to do with the Lexus. If it ends up as a tax deductible donation to some charity-At least I'm still on the road. Think about it...

The perfect get to work cheaply car is a Toyota Corolla or some such. Not a 4000 pound Mercedes sled with a smelly, rattly, underpowered stone of an engine. I don't know who told you they are easy to work on, but they ain't.

It is beginning to sound like you have already bought the car. I hope not.

My two were a 1972 280 SE 4.5 (one year of production and consequent parts price increase....) a very classy and good looking car. Sort of like a small version of the 600 limo, and a 1962 220Sb, which was a beautiful original paint show winner. Both were amazing cars, but I feared any major problem simply because I would be financially unable to repair it. The exhaust system for the 4.5 was over $900.00 fifteen years ago! And it had to be welded in - no clamps.

No, I have not paid for the car, nor have I made a deposit, but I have basically told the owner I wanted it and we are trying to figure out when he and I can meet for me to pick up the car. He will let me know in the morning.

I am not really to much for small cars. Ever since my crash in August of 1994, I have felt much better riding in a larger car. I have had some smaller cars- Accord, Camry, but that is about as small as I like to go. Corolla seems a bit to small for me. I also need something with some traveling room. The price of this Mercedes is more than half of what I paid for my LS400. I think for $1600, I would not be able to find much more of a car than that. Even the 80s Chevrolet Cavaliers and cars of the like sell for that much in no better condition.

For many years my father has told me the same thing- stay away from Mercedes.

So, I bought a Lexus and I found out that parts for them are as expensive as Mercedes. I was warned of that though. My uncle told me, because they had their LS400 for several years.

TEXASLEXUS:

You are right. I basically just do not want to keep driving the LS400 daily and continue to put miles on it, as well as scratches on it in the parking lot at work. It already has 233K miles and needs front steering work, which really makes me ill.

I paid $4200 for the car and it is decreasing in value everyday. With this Mercedes- it has already reached its "bottom out" point and is not really losing value. Just look on E-Bay at these cars- still selling for $3000 in good condition, up to $8000 in excellent condition, even for a 1981 model. Recently, a 99K mile 1982 300SD sold for $10,200. Will my Lexus be worth that when it is 22 years old, even if it only had 99K miles? I doubt it. I just thought for $1600, this would be worth the risk to buy this as a work car and let the LS400 "rest" a little. I am planning on buying a new pickup truck (Silverado) this spring and would like to sell the LS400 then to make room for the truck, unless I decide to buy a newer LS400- which I have been wanting to do. At least a 1995 model, or even a 98-00 model.

Of course, the folks on the Mercedes site and saying "buy it", "buy it", "buy it", but now I do not know. :unsure:

I'm not going to sway your from the Merc. It's your choice afterall, and it already sounds like you've made up your mind! It sounds like you've talked with enough people to know what goes wrong on these cars, so I don't think my set of horror stories will change your mind one way or the other!! I'd go through every record and inspection report very, very thouroughly. $1600! You're right it is almost wortht the risk. But what happens when something breaks? It wont take long to add up a $1600 repair bill. ;)

The one thing that gets me about the diesels are the oil changes! My grandfather has a '02 F250 SD Lariat with the turbo diesel(that is the sweetest sounding diesel especially the way the ecm blips the throttle when it starts up!! It's for the fifth wheel camper.); he told me an oil change requires 16quarts of oil! :o But on a 3/4 ton crew cab pick-up, who can argue with 18+mpg in the city even with 16 quarts of oil!

I predict you'll keep the LS! Primarily because of the amount you've spent on it thus far-the car itself and parts&labor- v. what someone will pay it. I have no doubts that your LS is a roadworthy machine with tons of life left in it, but to most people it's just a 14 year old LS with 230+k miles that has no a/c and a bad climate lcd. Your asking $3500 will be high to most since they will quickly deduct at least $1k for the a/c(I think you said the part alone was north of $700!), so that's already $2500, and then, they'd want you to knock off some more for the lcd repair. I remember you paid right at $4k for the car, and the $2500 number I've calculated is nearly half, so I'm betting you keep the LS....that is if you get the Merc! :whistles: I know you've had misc maint. one along with some shocks too, so that ups your investment too. What do you mean by steering problems? Suspension clunk or the imfamous LS power steering pump. I love putting miles on my LS even with it's 235k odo reading; it's some kind of weird obsession I have! lol I want the odo to read "500000." :D

SRK, tooooooo funny!!!..."Not a 4000 pound Mercedes sled with a smelly, rattly, underpowered stone of an engine." LMAO :lol: :lol: You make a very vaild point in the process! I loved(and still do!) my LS for my summer job commute(75 miles each way), but if I were looking for something that'd get me there and save some fuel in the process, I'd look past a 20+ year old Merc. My sister got her car stolen in January. My parents decided to buy her something (really!!)cheap and reliable(the theft is a long story!). It's a '91, 4 cyl-5 speed, excellent condition in and out, 160k miles for $2700. That dam thing doesn't have a single rattle while my dear Lexi have a few of their own(it's ok...they make up for it in other places!)! Believe it or not, it is an extremely, extremely nice car for $2700! It was owned by a service writer at a local Honda dealer, so it had all of the services done. I'd take a gander at a early 90's Accord or Camry(preferably '92+) for easy to work on, reliable transportation.

:cheers:

I'm not going to sway your from the Merc. It's your choice afterall, and it already sounds like you've made up your mind! It sounds like you've talked with enough people to know what goes wrong on these cars, so I don't think my set of horror stories will change your mind one way or the other!! I'd go through every record and inspection report very, very thouroughly. $1600! You're right it is almost wortht the risk. But what happens when something breaks? It wont take long to add up a $1600 repair bill. ;)

The one thing that gets me about the diesels are the oil changes! My grandfather has a '02 F250 SD Lariat with the turbo diesel(that is the sweetest sounding diesel especially the way the ecm blips the throttle when it starts up!! It's for the fifth wheel camper.); he told me an oil change requires 16quarts of oil!  :o  But on a 3/4 ton crew cab pick-up, who can argue with 18+mpg in the city even with 16 quarts of oil!

I predict you'll keep the LS! Primarily because of the amount you've spent on it thus far-the car itself and parts&labor- v. what someone will pay it. I have no doubts that your LS is a roadworthy machine with tons of life left in it, but to most people it's just a 14 year old LS with 230+k miles that has no a/c and a bad climate lcd. Your asking $3500 will be high to most since they will quickly deduct at least $1k for the a/c(I think you said the part alone was north of $700!), so that's already $2500, and then, they'd want you to knock off some more for the lcd repair. I remember you paid right at $4k for the car, and the $2500 number I've calculated is nearly half, so I'm betting you keep the LS....that is if you get the Merc! :whistles: I know you've had misc maint. one along with some shocks too, so that ups your investment too. What do you mean by steering problems? Suspension clunk or the imfamous LS power steering pump. I love putting miles on my LS even with it's 235k odo reading; it's some kind of weird obsession I have! lol I want the odo to read "500000."  :D

SRK, tooooooo funny!!!..."Not a 4000 pound Mercedes sled with a smelly, rattly, underpowered stone of an engine." LMAO  :lol: :lol:  You make a very vaild point in the process! I loved(and still do!) my LS for my summer job commute(75 miles each way), but if I were looking for something that'd get me there and save some fuel in the process, I'd look past a 20+ year old Merc. My sister got her car stolen in January. My parents decided to buy her something (really!!)cheap and reliable(the theft is a long story!). It's a '91, 4 cyl-5 speed, excellent condition in and out, 160k miles for $2700. That dam thing doesn't have a single rattle while my dear Lexi have a few of their own(it's ok...they make up for it in other places!)! Believe it or not, it is an extremely, extremely nice car for $2700! It was owned by a service writer at a local Honda dealer, so it had all of the services done. I'd take a gander at a early 90's Accord or Camry(preferably '92+) for easy to work on, reliable transportation.

Thanks Blake. Yes, I had decided on buying this car, but I expected Lexus owners to say "no", just like the Mercedes owners said "no" when I said I was buying a Lexus. :P Granted, all of this negative info I am hearing is making me a little uneasy. Like my mother said- its not like I have paid for the car yet, or the owner has delivered it yet. You are right- the repair bill can add up quickly, but I am HOPING that it will not need any major repairs soon. I do not think the owner would drive it the 5 hour drive if they thought it was not what I was expecting, but who knows? The good news about this Mercedes is that it has ALL service records since new.

I think these cars hold about 7 quarts of oil. Actually, I have driven a few of these cars and the power is not that bad. No, its not nearly as quick as the LS, but not a slug either. BTW- your grandpa has a good truck- those are good ones.

You are right about the LS. I will probably keep it- at least for a while. About my comment on the steering- I am referring to the "clunking". Luckily, my power steering pump is still dry- no drips. I guess I am lucky on this, because it appears to be all original. My LCD is just starting to go. In the mornings, it is a little dark in areas, but after the interior of the car warms up a bit- it completely clears, but I guess it is only a matter of time before it is gone. I guess here- I am lucky again, because it has lasted longer than most other LS400s I have heard of. Yes, my A/C is going to cost $800 (at dealer), but that includes parts. Probably could get it done cheaper elsewhere.

You mentioned your sisters "new" car. What make of car was it? Honda? I agree that they are great cars. I had a 1991 Accord LX 4dr automatic, with 190K. It still ran like new and was 100% squeak and rattle free. I wish I had of kept it. This is about the smallest size car I like. They are not that small, but that is the smallest size car I will consider. The newer Accords are much larger. I also had a 87, as well as a 93 Camry LE- both well over 200K, great cars. My aunt bought a brand new 1991 Honda Accord LX 2dr in December of 1990. She drove it up to 90K miles on only about 8 oil changes! :wacko: Her husband cared nothing about maintaining cars- they just drove it. She did not care. Even after 4 accidents in the car- it still ran perfectly. Unbelievable. Now my father has his old truck for his work truck- a 1988 Nissan, now with 255K- still runs like new. It really did not get good maintainence either.

Now I do not know what to do. I have considered another Accord or Camry, as a work car, but really like these Mercedes. I saw a 1992 Accord LX in MINT condition for $2800, I was considering before I saw the Mercedes.

I guess it will take more thought. :unsure:

Thanks again!

Thanks Blake.  Yes, I had decided on buying this car, but I expected Lexus owners to say "no", just like the Mercedes owners said "no" when I said I was buying a Lexus.  :P  Granted, all of this negative info I am hearing is making me a little uneasy.  Like my mother said- its not like I have paid for the car yet, or the owner has delivered it yet.  You are right- the repair bill can add up quickly, but I am HOPING that it will not need any major repairs soon.  I do not think the owner would drive it the 5 hour drive if they thought it was not what I was expecting, but who knows?  The good news about this Mercedes is that it has ALL service records since new.

I think these cars hold about 7 quarts of oil.  Actually, I have driven a few of these cars and the power is not that bad.  No, its not nearly as quick as the LS, but not a slug either.  BTW- your grandpa has a good truck- those are good ones.

You are right about the LS.  I will probably keep it- at least for a while.  About my comment on the steering- I am referring to the "clunking".  Luckily, my power steering pump is still dry- no drips.  I guess I am lucky on this, because it appears to be all original.  My LCD is just starting to go.  In the mornings, it is a little dark in areas, but after the interior of the car warms up a bit- it completely clears, but I guess it is only a matter of time before it is gone.  I guess here- I am lucky again, because it has lasted longer than most other LS400s I have heard of.  Yes, my A/C is going to cost $800 (at dealer), but that includes parts.  Probably could get it done cheaper elsewhere.

You mentioned your sisters "new" car.  What make of car was it?  Honda?  I agree that they are great cars.  I had a 1991 Accord LX 4dr automatic, with 190K.  It still ran like new and was 100% squeak and rattle free.  I wish I had of kept it.  This is about the smallest size car I like.  They are not that small, but that is the smallest size car I will consider.  The newer Accords are much larger.  I also had a 87, as well as a 93 Camry LE- both well over 200K, great cars.  My aunt bought a brand new 1991 Honda Accord LX 2dr in December of 1990.  She drove it up to 90K miles on only about 8 oil changes! :wacko:  Her husband cared nothing about maintaining cars- they just drove it.  She did not care.  Even after 4 accidents in the car- it still ran perfectly.  Unbelievable.  Now my father has his old truck for his work truck- a 1988 Nissan, now with 255K- still runs like new.  It really did not get good maintainence either. 

Now I do not know what to do.  I have considered another Accord or Camry, as a work car, but really like these Mercedes.  I saw a 1992 Accord LX in MINT condition for $2800, I was considering before I saw the Mercedes. 

I guess it will take more thought.  :unsure:

Thanks again!

I'm sorry '90; it is a '91 Accord LX; I can't believe I left that one out. I get the impression that you aren't too sure what you want...second generation LS, Silverdao(F150 is always a better choice!!! We'll save that for another day.), Camry, Accord, or Mercedes. I think I'd spend that $1600(plus tags and tax fees) on getting your LS's a/c fixed; I believe that it'd be the best long term investment. Your powertrain is still 100%, and your interior is still 100% also. Get the a/c fixed and enjoy the ride! Here's the evaporator for $350: https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...990&catalogid=1 . I'm sure you could find an indie shop to install it for less than $450(based off of $800 at Lexus)! That's what I'd do, but I plan to drive my LS for the next ten years. I have a car that I love, and I plan drive it until it dies(and then put a new engine in!! lol)!

The Merc will have problems. Maybe not serious ones, but I'm sure there will be a thing or two(a sound, control, the diesel will be hard to start in the winter months, etc.) that bugs you about it just like your LS. No car is going to be perfect even a stylish Merc of days ago! ;) I wish you the best of luck in the big decision!

I'm sorry '90; it is a '91 Accord LX; I can't believe I left that one out. I get the impression that you aren't too sure what you want...second generation LS, Silverdao(F150 is always a better choice!!! We'll save that for another day.), Camry, Accord, or Mercedes. I think I'd spend that $1600(plus tags and tax fees) on getting your LS's a/c fixed; I believe that it'd be the best long term investment. Your powertrain is still 100%, and your interior is still 100% also. Get the a/c fixed and enjoy the ride! Here's the evaporator for $350: https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...990&catalogid=1 . I'm sure you could find an indie shop to install it for less than $450(based off of $800 at Lexus)! That's what I'd do, but I plan to drive my LS for the next ten years. I have a car that I love, and I plan drive it until it dies(and then put a new engine in!! lol)!

The Merc will have problems. Maybe not serious ones, but I'm sure there will be a thing or two(a sound, control, the diesel will be hard to start in the winter months, etc.) that bugs you about it just like your LS. No car is going to be perfect even a stylish Merc of days ago! ;) I wish you the best of luck in the big decision!

To update- you guys convinced me- I have decided not purchase this car. I was aware that they are expensive to maintain, but I was willing to take the risk for $1600, but you guys convinced me to rethink this deal. The car needs rear power window work, A/C compressor (found out later), power seat would not go forward-backward. All minor, but like someone said- even these items could have added up to $1000. quickly. Not to say I will not buy one eventually, but it will be one that I can test drive before I buy it and have it fully inspected. You see- this car is in southern Georgia- which is about a 8 hour drive from here. He was going to bring it as close as two hours from me.

I agree, I could spend the money and fix the needed items on my LS (bushings and A/C- probably front struts as well, because the ride is not as soft as I think it should be), but then I think - what if my starter goes out? What if the water pump fails? More $$$$ parts to replace. :( Basically the same deal with the Mercedes- I just was not really realizing that, but it is a much lower priced car ($1600 vs. the $4200 for my LS), so that made it "seem" better.

You are right Blake- I have not really decided on one certain make, but the following cars I mentioned are my favorites. Also, I have not even ruled out the classic 1974 Caprice Estate wagon I was interested in while last week. I have started to reconsider it since I am not getting the 300SD. These cars (71-76 General Motors cars) I am very familiar with- I have owned several that I have sold and wish I had of kept. Very reliable and they are extremely easy to work on (what early 70s car isn't? :P ). I have also not ruled out another Accord or Camry. I have also found a 1993 Accord LX wagon I am considering. 120K- MINT condition.

True- I want either a Silverado or Suburban/Tahoe, but I may wait on one of those. There is a local 96' Suburban for $7000 I may look at tomorrow. I really like the LS models too, but these big Suburbans have always been one of my "pick" cars. I like the F-150 too, (97-03), as well as the current models, but I like the 95-99 Silverado. They are great trucks. My uncle has a 1998 Silverado LT, 4WD. It has 195K and still runs like new. This is the same uncle that bought the 90 LS400 for my aunt in the 1990s. My aunt loves her car, but they have been thinking of getting a 95-00 model, but the 90 is too reliable and flawless at this time to sell they say. The Silverado also has an outstanding resell value. Even the early to mid 90s Silverados here are still bringing $5000-$8000- as much or more as the early to mid 90s LS.

My Accord was a 1991 as well. I wish I had of kept that car. They are great cars, but even on these cars, parts can get expensive. I remember that a speed sensor for mine was going to be $290, but the salvage yard had one on a wrecked Accord for $20. Worked perfectly. :)

Thanks again. I will just keep on searching.

I'm sorry '90; it is a '91 Accord LX; I can't believe I left that one out.

I forgot to mention this- your sister should have trouble free motoring for a long time. The only trouble spots on the 90-93 Accords are the speed sensors on the transmissions and the distributor cap. The one on my 91 Accord did not go out until 190K- but around the same time. Over time, front struts can begin to make a noise, but not a big deal.

I have actually found a couple of Accords (92 LX sedan and a 93 LX wagon) that I am considering as a work car. Thanks for talking me out of the Mercedes. I really should stick with a Japanese car- something I am familiar with anyway. :)

I wish I had of not sold my 91 Accord. I was amazed at how reliable and comfortable it was. Perfect, supportive seats, soft & absorbent suspension, but still excellent handling. The interior holds up very well- they show little wear, even over several years of use. Also- interiors are of high quality- with padding about everywhere- not the hard plastic that plagues the newer Accords and Camrys.

I'll ramble on a bit here about why I am trying a Lexus. And my point of view on some different cars.

I've got 2 trucks and the Lexus. A 1999 Ford diesel F350 dually with 232,700 miles on it and never had a valve cover off. I have replaced only the steering stabilizer, tires and brakes. I knew the previous owner who put 200,000 on it when I bought it. In fact, I had done all his maintainace and repairs so I knew the truck. And I bought it cheap enough that should it have a major mechanical problem I would still be in it cheap.

The other truck is a 91 Toyota pickup V-6 which I bought new in 1990. It's had brakes, tires, oil changes, 1 set of spark plugs and now at 144,000 miles, it would like to have a clutch. This is my 3rd Toyota pickup. the first one I bought had 100,000 when I bought it. I was so impressed by how good the truck was at 100,000 miles that I sold it to a friend when it got to 200,000 miles. He still has it and has only done minor repairs. The 2nd Toyota was a new 1984 I bought. My employees couldn't seem to hurt that one either and I sold it to buy the 1991.

I am a mechanic or better described as fix anything from heavy equipment on down. Don't think that buying a mechanics truck that they are necessarily serviced on time. We mechanics are too busy fixing your stuff to work on ours. :unsure:

So you can see I am impressed with Toyota. Our passenger cars have always been Cadillacs because I like the comfort on road trips. But everybody is always saying to me that a Lexus Ls400 is the smoothest and quietest cars they have ever been in. So I have always had it in my mind to try one. I also always thought the BMW 740 series was a real nice car. But all I read was that they were not as quiet nor rode as nice as the Lexus and they used more fuel. So I passed on that.

Since I can all my own repairs, it put me in a different spot than most people. I don't tie up much money in cars as anything on wheels is a poor investment. So I generally let someone else take the dive of depreciation and buy their car. The Toyota pickups were an exception because people with used ones to sell wanted near new price.

We've only had the Lexus for a month. I have spent nearly all that time doing repairs. I bought the car cheap so no matter how it turns out satisfaction wise. But right now I have some mixed emotions about Lexus. Bear in mind I have fixed hundreds of cars and trucks and have probably had near 75 vehicles in my lifetime. So this is where I am coming from.

It seems to me that this cars suspension system, motor mounts are a problem. I've never seen any cars I have worked on need these kinds of repairs we are doing on these cars. But I am "forgiving" Lexus because I feel these cars were made to be the quietest and smoothest on the road. And the soft rubber bushings in the suspension and motor mounts might just come with the territory of being the smoothest.

Air suspension cars have been a problem since the 1958 Buick Roadmaster. Everyone including Lincoln has had air suspension problems. So Lexus is no different. Funny though...we have had air bag suspension on tractor trailer rigs for years and still do. And I don't remember any failures.

We pay the price for parts for these Lexus cars. There is just not enough demand for the aftermarket to pick up on many items. I pity the guy who pays labor to replace parts. If that was my case, I would not buy a Lexus. I would buy a Toyota.

The jury (mainly my wife) is still out on the Lexus Ls400. So far she likes it and all I do is work on it. ;) It's nearly done with everything the way it should be so I will pass my judgement soon.

I'll ramble on a bit here about why I am trying a Lexus. And my point of view on some different cars.

I've got 2 trucks and the Lexus. A 1999 Ford diesel F350 dually with 232,700 miles on it and never had a valve cover off. I have replaced only the steering stabilizer, tires and brakes. I knew the previous owner who put 200,000 on it when I bought it. In fact, I had done all his maintainace and repairs so I knew the truck. And I bought it cheap enough that should it have a major mechanical problem I would still be in it cheap.

The other truck is a 91 Toyota pickup V-6 which I bought new in 1990. It's had brakes, tires, oil changes, 1 set of spark plugs and now at 144,000 miles, it would like to have a clutch.  This is my 3rd Toyota pickup. the first one I bought had 100,000 when I bought it. I was so impressed by how good the truck was at 100,000 miles that I sold it to a friend when it got to 200,000 miles. He still has it and has only done minor repairs. The 2nd Toyota was a new 1984 I bought. My employees couldn't seem to hurt that one either and I sold it to buy the 1991.

I am a mechanic or better described as fix anything from heavy equipment on down. Don't think that buying a mechanics truck that they are necessarily serviced on time. We mechanics are too busy fixing your stuff to work on ours.  :unsure:

So you can see I am impressed with Toyota. Our passenger cars have always been Cadillacs because I like the comfort on road trips. But everybody is always saying to me that a Lexus Ls400 is the smoothest and quietest cars they have ever been in. So I have always had it in my mind to try one. I also always thought the BMW 740 series was a real nice car. But all I read was that they were not as quiet nor rode as nice as the Lexus and they used more fuel. So I passed on that.

Since I can all my own repairs, it put me in a different spot than most people. I don't tie up much money in cars as anything on wheels is a poor investment. So I generally let someone else take the dive of depreciation and buy their car. The Toyota pickups were an exception because people with used ones to sell wanted near new price.

We've only had the Lexus for a month. I have spent nearly all that time doing repairs. I bought the car cheap so no matter how it turns out satisfaction wise. But right now I have some mixed emotions about Lexus. Bear in mind I have fixed hundreds of cars and trucks and have probably had near 75 vehicles in my lifetime. So this is where I am coming from.

It seems to me that this cars suspension system, motor mounts are a problem. I've never seen any cars I have worked on need these kinds of repairs we are doing on these cars.  But I am "forgiving" Lexus because I feel these cars were made to be the quietest and smoothest on the road. And the soft rubber bushings in the suspension and motor mounts might just come with the territory of being the smoothest.

Air suspension cars have been a problem since the 1958 Buick Roadmaster. Everyone including Lincoln has had air suspension problems. So Lexus is no different. Funny though...we have had air bag suspension on tractor trailer rigs for years and still do. And I don't remember any failures.

We pay the price for parts for these Lexus cars. There is just not enough demand for the aftermarket to pick up on many items. I pity the guy who pays labor to replace parts. If that was my case, I would not buy a Lexus. I would buy a Toyota.

The jury (mainly my wife) is still out on the Lexus Ls400. So far she likes it and all I do is work on it.  ;)  It's nearly done with everything the way it should be so I will pass my judgement soon.

Interesting post 95LS. You are right about the Toyota trucks- they are virtually bulletproof. The only problems with the older models, is that the beds were prone to rust, even on southern models. I also had a 1984 Toyota truck- it was great, and I was fortunate enough to have one that was 95% rust free. Only some minor rust on the bed of it. I particularly like the model like you have- the 1989-1995 (early 95') body style. I would not mind having a 1989-1995 4WD, extended cab, SR-5 model, with the automatic transmission option. The only problem on these is that some of the early (89-91) 3.0L V6 models have been reported for a head gasket problem.

Also interesting statement about the air suspensions. I do not know how far back this goes, but my uncle had a 1955 Cadillac 4dr that had a factory air suspension option and it was still in perfect working order- which was a suprise. Correct about all cars having air suspension problems. The 80s and early 90 Lincolns have had a lot of air suspension problems. My previous 1992 Buick Park Avenue had the air suspension (it was standard on the 91-up Park Avenues), but it was still in perfect order as well, @ 156K miles.

Toyota has been trying to get my truck back for nearly 4 years to do the head gasket replacement. I am very picky and don't want anyone working on my vehicles but me....so they are not getting it back. It runs fine and never had a problem of any kind. Sometimes things are better left alone.

Toyota has been trying to get my truck back for nearly 4 years to do the head gasket replacement. I am very picky and don't want anyone working on my vehicles but me....so they are not getting it back. It runs fine and never had a problem of any kind. Sometimes things are better left alone.

I do not blame you. If it is not broke- don't fix it. :) You should be OK. I think if it was going to go, it would have already.

I forgot to mention this- your sister should have trouble free motoring for a long time. The only trouble spots on the 90-93 Accords are the speed sensors on the transmissions and the distributor cap. The one on my 91 Accord did not go out until 190K- but around the same time. Over time, front struts can begin to make a noise, but not a big deal.

I have actually found a couple of Accords (92 LX sedan and a 93 LX wagon) that I am considering as a work car. Thanks for talking me out of the Mercedes. I really should stick with a Japanese car- something I am familiar with anyway. :)

I wish I had of not sold my 91 Accord. I was amazed at how reliable and comfortable it was. Perfect, supportive seats, soft & absorbent suspension, but still excellent handling. The interior holds up very well- they show little wear, even over several years of use. Also- interiors are of high quality- with padding about everywhere- not the hard plastic that plagues the newer Accords and Camrys.

That's good to know that the little Honda will be good for several years to come! Thanks for the insight! ;) Hers could use some motor mounts, but other than that, I'd say it's 100%.

I agree with your summary of the Accord 100%. It's not all that great looking, but they are great cars. The seats are great and the cabin is first rate. The handling is quite interseting! It rides so compliantly, but it's also quite nimble. It's like a safe house in there with all of the padding. lol

I can give you a couple of horror stories about the Suburbans..first hand! We bought a new '99 LT model(white with blue leather) at the end of '98. The tranny went out at 60k miles; coincidently, my mom's cousin has a '98 that had the same problem. The dealer tech descretly addmited to a design flaw of the tranny; it's some kind of cheapo bearing that wears quickly. He said that is excclusive to I think the '98(??) and up because the Suburban got a new brand mangager that was pinching pennies everywhere he could to make himself look good. Also, water pumps don't last long(I think we're on number 3) along with belts, alternators, and batteries. Inside the leather feels like a high quality vynl to me eventhough the LT model we have has leather. The seats infront are large but they are not supportive at all. And my last rants: the brake pedal is one of the finest sponges I've experienced, the 350 makes very nice acceleration power that you can feel buzzing under your feet(only when you floor it; otherwise, the engine is decently quiet/smooth under normal acceleration.), down shifts are lousey, and ergonomics are reminisant of the '80s. On the upside, there is good room for 8 and all of their sh_t in back, suprisingly with 90k miles not a single rattle despite the very poor quality of materials inside, and the 42gallon fuel is good for atleast 550 city miles(lol)! And even better, not one worn suspension bushing, dead lcd, motor/tranny mount, or leaky p/s pump!! :P :lol: Just a joke of course...I love my LS!

Bob, I agree about the suspension problems. I've never experienced this before, but both of my Lexi(235k and 120kmiles) have this "clunk." The mounts also raise some question. My LS's are still tight, and I'd bet it's because it was a highway car, but my ES's are terrible...I get a free hand message at redlights! lol We have a '91 SR5, 4WD ext cab Toyota pick up with the V6(3vze. Top model...it even has a factory sunroof!), and we did have to get the head gaskets replaced. Shortly after, we got the recall notice in the mail. :chairshot: Other than that, the truck is very problem free. The head gaskets were done around 85k, and now, it has about 155k trouble free miles! The bed does have some rust because it was my dad's co car when he worked in Minnesota.

That's good to know that the little Honda will be good for several years to come! Thanks for the insight! ;) Hers could use some motor mounts, but other than that, I'd say it's 100%.

I agree with your summary of the Accord 100%. It's not all that great looking, but they are great cars. The seats are great and the cabin is first rate. The handling is quite interseting! It rides so compliantly, but it's also quite nimble. It's like a safe house in there with all of the padding. lol

I can give you a couple of horror stories about the Suburbans..first hand! We bought a new '99 LT model(white with blue leather) at the end of '98. The tranny went out at 60k miles; coincidently, my mom's cousin has a '98 that had the same problem. The dealer tech descretly addmited to a design flaw of the tranny; it's some kind of cheapo bearing that wears quickly. He said that is excclusive to I think the '98(??) and up because the Suburban got a new brand mangager that was pinching pennies everywhere he could to make himself look good. Also, water pumps don't last long(I think we're on number 3) along with belts, alternators, and batteries. Inside the leather feels like a high quality vynl to me eventhough the LT model we have has leather. The seats infront are large but they are not supportive at all. And my last rants: the brake pedal is one of the finest sponges I've experienced, the 350 makes very nice acceleration power that you can feel buzzing under your feet(only when you floor it; otherwise, the engine is decently quiet/smooth under normal acceleration.), down shifts are lousey, and ergonomics are reminisant of the '80s. On the upside, there is good room for 8 and all of their sh_t in back, suprisingly with 90k miles not a single rattle despite the very poor quality of materials inside, and the 42gallon fuel is good for atleast 550 city miles(lol)! And even better, not one worn suspension bushing, dead lcd, motor/tranny mount, or leaky p/s pump!! :P :lol: Just a joke of course...I love my LS!

Bob, I agree about the suspension problems. I've never experienced this before, but both of my Lexi(235k and 120kmiles) have this "clunk." The mounts also raise some question. My LS's are still tight, and I'd bet it's because it was a highway car, but my ES's are terrible...I get a free hand message at redlights! lol We have a '91 SR5, 4WD ext cab Toyota pick up with the V6(3vze. Top model...it even has a factory sunroof!), and we did have to get the head gaskets replaced. Shortly after, we got the recall notice in the mail.:chairshot: Other than that, the truck is very problem free. The head gaskets were done around 85k, and now, it has about 155k trouble free miles! The bed does have some rust because it was my dad's co car when he worked in Minnesota.

For some reason, I have always liked the styling of the 90-93 Accords, since the first time I saw one of the "all-new" 1990 models in Spetember of 1989. When my aunt bought her 1991 brand new in December of 1990, I remember being 14 years old (already wanting a car of my own :P ) and wanting one of these cars. Hers was a 2-door LX automatic. I still wanted the "all-new" 92' Prelude that was introduced in late 1991.

I was always impressed with the handling all of my Honda Accords (2-1986's, 1-1991, Civic- which was a 1988 4dr LX, as well as my 1989 Acura. Civics ride was not as smooth, but the Accords had a very comfortable ride- and good handling. Acura was good too.

Discouraging news about the Suburbans in your family. I am really looking for a 1995-1996, with the plush cloth interior so I may escape the transmission woes.

The 96' I am/was considering has the leather option and it has 133K.

I will definitely have it inspected before I buy it, if I decide to, but I still have no idea, as I am also considering several totally other different makes/models.

Did the transmissions fail without warnings on the 98-99 Suburbans in your family?

My uncle in North Carolina bought a 1995 GMC Suburban SLE (top of the line w/leather, 4WD turbo diesel- new. I remember it was an extremely reliable truck. I think he put about 245K on it, before he sold it and bought a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4wd w/off road package (truck form of the Suburban) and it has been great as well. I agree about the brakes. I have driven his Suburban before and the brakes were quite spongy. The 98' Silverado now has 194K (highway) miles and it is still in perfect running order, but it has been the best of care/maintainence. I just went on a trip with them last week and I was impressed by the smoothness of an American automobile with 194K. No squeaks, no rattles, no vibrations.

Discouraging news about the Suburbans in your family.  I am really looking for a 1995-1996, with the plush cloth interior so I may escape the transmission woes.

The 96' I am/was considering has the leather option and it has 133K. 

I will definitely have it inspected before I buy it, if I decide to, but I still have no idea, as I am also considering several totally other different makes/models. 

Did the transmissions fail without warnings on the 98-99 Suburbans in your family? 

My uncle in North Carolina bought a 1995 GMC Suburban SLE (top of the line w/leather, 4WD turbo diesel- new.  I remember it was an extremely reliable truck.  I think he put about 245K on it, before he sold it and bought a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4wd w/off road package (truck form of the Suburban) and it has been great as well.  I agree about the brakes.  I have driven his Suburban before and the brakes were quite spongy.  The 98' Silverado now has 194K (highway) miles and it is still in perfect running order, but it has been the best of care/maintainence.  I just went on a trip with them last week and I was impressed by the smoothness of an American automobile with 194K.  No squeaks, no rattles, no vibrations.

The transmissions did fail without warning. On our '99, my dad got in it one day, and throughout first gear was this horrible metal on metal grinding sound. We had it towed and rebuilt. The my mom's cousin's Suburban tranny craped out on them on a vacation road trip. It also died without warning. What a lovely vacation they had! :lol: I will give Chevy that...they certainly know how to screw the dollar store parts together in a way that they won't rattle. lol